Author Topic: "Superbug" MRSA found to be transmitted through gay sex  (Read 4742 times)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
"Superbug" MRSA found to be transmitted through gay sex
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »
READ IT NOW BEFORE THE GAY POLICE CENSOR THE INFORMATION!!!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1337175820080114?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Drug-resistant staph found to be passed in gay sex

By Amanda Beck

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A drug-resistant strain of potentially deadly bacteria has moved beyond the borders of U.S. hospitals and is being transmitted among gay men during sex, researchers said on Monday.

They said methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, is beginning to appear outside hospitals in San Francisco, Boston, New York and Los Angeles.

Sexually active gay men in San Francisco are 13 times more likely to be infected than their heterosexual neighbors, the researchers reported in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

"Once this reaches the general population, it will be truly unstoppable," said Binh Diep, a researcher at the University of California, San Francisco who led the study. "That's why we're trying to spread the message of prevention."

According to chemical analyses, bacteria are spreading among the gay communities of San Francisco and Boston, the researchers said.

"We think that it's spread through sexual activity," Diep said.

This superbug can cause life-threatening and disfiguring infections and can often only be treated with expensive, intravenous antibiotics.

It killed about 19,000 Americans in 2005, most of them in hospitals, according to a report published in October in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

About 30 percent of all people carry ordinary staph chronically. It can be passed by touching other people or by depositing the bacteria on surfaces or objects.

The bacteria can cause deep-tissue infections if they enter the body through a wound in the skin.
(MUCH MORE AT LINK)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: "Superbug" MRSA found to be transmitted through gay sex
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
Anal sex is not safe, it's a well documented fact. Meanwhile expensive treatments are dispensed for someone who voluntarily puts themselves at risk, while I get the bum's rush for necessary therapy for my son.  :censored:

I know.... I'm turning this post into a post all about me... it's shameless.   Maybe I should grab another cup of jo.  :-)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:01:47 AM »
They didn't learn their lesson from AIDS, so God's sending down another plague.  And as with AIDS, innocent people - including children - will suffer the consequences along with them.  If they cared about themselves and -more importantly - other people, they'd stop their behavior to prevent the spread of diseases and infections.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »
And we all know that when they catch wind of this, anybody who tells them to stop having unprotected sex, especially with complete strangers, is a judgmental bigot.  :hammer: 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
Gay sex isn't safe??!??! OMG! The DUmmies are going to figure out the VRWC Ghey Extermination Plan any day now.... :whatever: :-)

Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand why men would, first of all, want to stick their penis into another man's ass. Secondly, EWWWWWWW!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:36:40 AM »
Gay sex isn't safe??!??! OMG! The DUmmies are going to figure out the VRWC Ghey Extermination Plan any day now.... :whatever: :-)

Seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand why men would, first of all, want to stick their penis into another man's ass. Secondly, EWWWWWWW!

<Adds it to the "not wearing condoms makes you a ...dead...dumbass" file>

It's one of those things that if you're not in it, you won't get... Seriously. That's the best way I can explain it. It's like explaining rocky road to someone who's never had so much as ice in a cup of water.

*TKay*

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
And we all know that when they catch wind of this, anybody who tells them to stop having unprotected sex, especially with complete strangers, is a judgmental bigot.  :hammer: 

No, we just need to take billions away from "straight" diseases like diabetes, MS, Alzheimer's and cancer (except Breast Cancer which is PC-protected) and stop this disease immediately.  If we don't, we are gay-bashers!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:18 PM »

<Adds it to the "not wearing condoms makes you a ...dead...dumbass" file>

It's one of those things that if you're not in it, you won't get... Seriously. That's the best way I can explain it. It's like explaining rocky road to someone who's never had so much as ice in a cup of water.

*TKay*

Oh, that analogy is SOOOO wrong ;)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:02:15 PM »
Well that's one way to keep you from eating ice cream ;)

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 12:02:39 PM »
^love your sig line freedumb!! LOL!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
^love your sig line freedumb!! LOL!
I am only inspired by the best of the best!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 02:02:42 PM »

No, we just need to take billions away from "straight" diseases like diabetes, MS, Alzheimer's and cancer (except Breast Cancer which is PC-protected) and stop this disease immediately.  If we don't, we are gay-bashers!

Wait till the libs find out that only federally funded stem cell research can cure it. The feces will really strike the motor driven air circulation device.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »
Anal sex is not safe, it's a well documented fact. Meanwhile expensive treatments are dispensed for someone who voluntarily puts themselves at risk, while I get the bum's rush for necessary therapy for my son.  :censored:

I know.... I'm turning this post into a post all about me... it's shameless.   Maybe I should grab another cup of jo.  :-)

Better that than having your bum rushed.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:47:59 PM »
MRSA is very common here in the Miami area....
 :o  shocker I know...

It was weird for me when I first moved down here as MRSA was contained usually in an isolation area of the intensive care units in NY.
Now I see it as an everyday occurence...this can be potentially dangerous as the probablity of contamination is much higher as it's spread through contact....and it doesn't have to be direct contact.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »
Anal sex increases your chance to get STDs.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
Anal sex increases your chance to get STDs.

This just in folks!!!!!  Water is wet, I repeat new studies show that water is in fact wet!!!!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
Just wait.  This could be big.  This could turn "inclusion" and "tolerance" and "acceptance" on its head.  This ain't AIDS.  The dynamics are very different.  Homosexuals, with good reason, will be seen as toxic.  It is going to get a lot harder to explain how homosexuals are not a threat to Boys Scout (for example). 

I know the general public.  This could be tragic, but fun to watch.