Author Topic: primitives don't like bath-tub smashing  (Read 1822 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives don't like bath-tub smashing
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x8334

Oh my.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-23-10 03:24 PM
THE SILLY PRIMITIVE
Original message

Sacrilege!

We are at the beginning of doing a serious kitchen remodel, along with installation of two exterior french doors (window removal/replacement too), so I've started watching DIY channel & HGTV again for ideas..

which brings me to the point..

Today a family was redoing a bathroom, and it broke my heart to see them take a sledge-hammer to a cast iron/porcelain '50s pink bathtub.. why? because it was HEAVY, and they did not want to carry it downstairs .. they also sledged the matching pink wall sink and they dumpster-ed the pink toilet.

I know that pink is not an "in color" these days, but these fixtures are surely worth recycling.

One thing we did when we hired our contractor was to make sure he planned to recycle the windows, doors, cabinets, sink etc from our remodel.

When we do our small bathroom, we will have to demo the bath/shower since it's a one-piece (yucky) unit, and it would not even fit through the door if we did need to remove it intact, but the sink, cabinet & toilet will be recycled.

It's odd too, because oftentimes these same shows brag about all the wonderful "finds" they make at the secondhand places, but how do they think those finds got there in the first place? Someone took the time to preserve what they were removing..

Suich  (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-23-10 05:55 PM
Response to Original message

1. There is a place called "Restore" here, and it is FULL of used toilets, sinks, doors, windows, cupboards, etc., plus odds and ends of leftover tiles, molding and everything else you can think of!

I needed a new bedroom door (solid wood) and found one after only 2 visits.

It's a great place to browse, and I usually end up finding some little "something or other" that I can use!

Hassin Bin Sober  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-24-10 10:16 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Is that a Habitat store? We have a Habitat For Humanity store near us in Elgin Illinois.

The place has literally tons of left over and recycled building supplies at deep discounts.

Last time I was there I saw stacks of un-used oak and pine doors, windows, moldings, tile and thinset. A lot of it is donated from builders.

One wonders if the Hussein primitive's a neighbor of Fat Che, and could enlighten us as to what's up with Fat Che lately.

Mist  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-24-10 01:38 PM
Response to Original message

3. I've seen many of those "do-over" shows on HGTV, and I wonder why it doesn't occur to those demoloshing the "dated" fixtures that someone else may value those same fixtures, just because they're retro. If something's in good shape, they should take care in removing it. Drives me nutz to see how gleefully destructive these "remodel" teams can be.

Is that the show with that one woman and a heavy queer guy?

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-24-10 11:28 PM
THE SILLY PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #4

6. "Save the pink bathroom.com" is another one of theirs

The ironic part of this story, is that had they sold those beautiful pink fixtures, they could have PAID for that "new" bathroom

Those old retro fixtures can be very expensive
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: primitives don't like bath-tub smashing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
<I>The ironic part of this story, is that had they sold those beautiful pink fixtures, they could have PAID for that "new" bathroom

Well DUmmie. You may have identified a business concept there. Go out around the hood and ask everyone if they have pink tubs and sinks and toilets and if they plan to replace them and if you can have them when they do and see what happens.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
Actually there is a market for retro (yes especially PINK) bathroom fixtures.  It kind of makes me wonder why they have to bust everything in those shows.  Even 1970's cabinets, someone somewhere would probably use them. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »
Actually there is a market for retro (yes especially PINK) bathroom fixtures.  It kind of makes me wonder why they have to bust everything in those shows.  Even 1970's cabinets, someone somewhere would probably use them. 

My wife would dearly love to have one of the old clawfoot tubs.  They are good for soaking in.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
I wonder how much HGTV pays out for the remodel.  Maybe they do it because it makes for good TV and they buy the homeowners a new bathtub.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »
I've busted up a buch of that old cast iron stuff. The reason you break them up is because there's no other way to get them out. Especially if they're on the frikkin' second floor. Most were installed before the walls were put up. Now they won't even fit in the hallways or maneuver around corners.

DUmmies don't understand the concept of a bid job. If you try to save such boat anchors, you'll lose your ass! They're not worth trying to work them into the budget, even if they are antiques, in most cases.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:50:11 AM »
Hey DUmmy, if you're lurking, contractors don't just "donate" that stuff. They sell it. That's where they get the money for taking the extra time and labor costs to retrieve it in good shape.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.