Author Topic: Proglodytes are worried proposed tax will drive up consumer prices  (Read 1192 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
We're all Supply-siders now.

CousinIT (432 posts)

Republicans Are Preparing To Hit Consumers With A Horrible New Tax

... the border adjustability tax... will cost American consumers at least a trillion dollars over the next ten years. Knowing how Washington politicians calculate these things, you can bet the amount will end up being considerably more. Prices for everyday items, such as socks, shoes and household appliances, will go up. So will tech devices like the iPad, not to mention automobiles and trucks. Gasoline? Millions of Americans will pay an additional 30 cents or more per gallon at the pump. Lower-income and struggling middle-class Americans will get hit the hardest.

Few people are even aware of what the Republicans are getting ready to hit them with. There has been virtually no debate or public discussion about this new, horrible tax, yet in one of those strange fits of collective, self-destructive behavior, numerous GOP lawmakers are ready to enact it.

Here’s how, in essence, this sneaky, anti-consumer tax works. Importers will no longer be allowed to deduct an item as a business expense. To simplify things, let's say a store imports a pair of sneakers for $40 and then sells them for $50, making a $10 profit on which it would owe taxes. Under the Republican plan, however, the retailer wouldn't be able to deduct the $40 it paid for the sneakers. In fact, it would owe taxes on the entire $50! And who, ultimately, pays this tax? You, the consumer, in the form of higher prices or fewer choices of where you can shop. Retailers and their customers will be hit.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveforbes/2017/01/11/omg-house-republicans-are-preparing-to-hit-consumers-with-a-horrible-new-tax-that-will-harm-trump-and-hurt-the-economy/#581c736b641e

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10028468566
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: Proglodytes are worried proposed tax will drive up consumer prices
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:16:14 AM »
A tax the DUmmies oppose. Hmmmm...the GOP must be in charge again so I guess in addition to opposing taxes the war protests will start up soon?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
But they hate WalMart and think the sugar tax in Philly is a great idea.  A cynic might suspect it's not really the price of consumer goods that concerns them...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:17:47 AM »
But they hate WalMart and think the sugar tax in Philly is a great idea.  A cynic might suspect it's not really the price of consumer goods that concerns them...
Bingo! All that matters is if there is an R or a D next to the bill.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Millions of Americans will pay an additional 30 cents or more per gallon at the pump.

The bedwetters didn't shed a tear when california imposed the global warming final solutions tax which adds .25 to .75 cents a gallon to gas.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
Response to CousinIT (Original post)

Fri Jan 13, 2017, 09:09 AM

Star Member Hoyt (28,531 posts)
3. Isn't this is what so-called "progressives" wanted?

As someone else posted the other day,when Hoyt is your sane one you really have gone around the bend.

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
Damn! 
Watching these bastards change in a nanosecond from "Raising taxes on those stoopid 'Murkins too much is UNPOSSIBLE!" to" OMG, we're all gonna go broke with these draconian new Repuke taxes!!!" just gave me whiplash!
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
Damn! 
Watching these bastards change in a nanosecond from "Raising taxes on those stoopid 'Murkins too much is UNPOSSIBLE!" to" OMG, we're all gonna go broke with these draconian new Repuke taxes!!!" just gave me whiplash!

It's more like, "OMG! A tax I would have to pay!!!"
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:32:49 AM »

Only when they are the ones purchasing the goods using their own money.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
Only when they are the ones purchasing the goods using their own money.

Pfffft, like THAT ever happens!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
It's more like, "OMG! A tax I would have to pay!!!"

^^^^ That is the one of three reasons the dummies hate it. The second is they have screamed about the GOP giving tax breaks to corporations offshoring factories for the last 20 years. Trump has effectively ended that argument.  The third and main reason is Trump is proposing it.

I swear Trump could propose to give every dummie a million dollars and they would piss and moan about it.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
Now i thought the 50 cent/gallon tax on gasoline kalifornia put on a few years ago was great. Now gas taxes are bad? Lord it must be hard to keep track of what a 80IQ person thinks is good and bad from one day to the next.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.