Author Topic: "Reciprocity for me but not for thee."  (Read 1440 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
"Reciprocity for me but not for thee."
« on: January 09, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
Judi Lynn (110,082 posts)

New bill could force states to allow visiting gun owners to pack heat without a permit

Source: Business Insider

The Trace
Dan Friedman, The Trace
1h

One of the first gun bills introduced in the new Congress proposes to dramatically alter the way states regulate who can carry concealed firearms within their borders.

Under the legislation filed by Congressman Richard Hudson, a North Carolina Republican, gun owners — including those from states no longer mandating training or permits for persons wishing to tote hidden pistols — could be cleared to carry in any public spaces across the country that allow guns.

. . .

But many forbid out-of-state residents from carrying concealed weapons within their borders, or only recognize permits from select states. And some cities, like New York, have strict rules about who may obtain a license to carry, with the result that very few people do.

If Hudson’s bill passes, states that set high bars for concealed carry would be compelled to welcome gun-toting visitors from “any state that recognizes its residents’ right to concealed carry,” says a Hudson spokeswoman. That includes states with more relaxed requirements, or no requirements at all.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/visiting-gun-owners-permitless-carries-2017-1?r=UK&IR=T 

Feeling the Bern (3,696 posts)

1. Talk about abusing full faith and credit. Taney did this with his logic in Dred Scott

The fascists won! We won't survive the next four years.

Remind us again why SCOTUS forced gay "marriage" to be recognized by all states.

Merlot (4,841 posts)

2. The NRA strikes again. Soon we will all be required to own and

carry guns! Yay!

No you won't.

You and yours should remain disarmed.

HassleCat (5,732 posts)

3. States rights! What about states rights?

Let's see if we understand this. Florida can manipulate the voter rolls without federal interference, but New York must bow to federal authority that allows Billy Bob to walk around Central Park with his Glock. Is this a great country, or what?

States rights were shit on with Lawrence v Texas.

You cheered when that happened.

And self-defense -- unlike sodomy -- is such an inherent right it was even codified in the Constitution.

Crash2Parties (468 posts)

5. Is this that, "small Federal government" the the GOP always spoke of?

Does the CRA put teeth to the 13th and 14th Amendments?

waddirum (716 posts)

8. Well I guess my medical cannabis is good anywhere

I ever travel in these here United States. Good to know. Thanks.

Show me a right to keep and bear cannabis in the Constitution.

McCamy Taylor (16,520 posts)

13. Yes, because you have a right to the pursuit of happiness.

Spoken like a true pedophile.

needledriver (431 posts)

10. What part of constitutional right don't you understand?

Do you advocate that freedom of speech or religion should be exercised on a state by state basis? Are you ok with a book published in New York being illegal in Ohio? Should a Muslim from Wisconsin not be allowed in Tennessee?

More to the point - if a person has passed a background check in Kansas, and passed the Kansas required state safety course to get a concealed carry license, why should his license be invalid in New Jersey? His Kansas drivers license is valid in New Jersey, and driving isn't even a constitutional right.

The right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right. Shouldn't it apply evenly across all 50 states?

12. By this argument, you should be allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theater

because you can yell "fire" in a deserted open field. Both protected freedom of speech.

A hunting rifle with a scope that is appropriate in the woods may not be appropriate in DC during the inauguration.

needledriver (431 posts)

16. You can yell fire in a crowded theater

if the theater is on fire.

The gun control argument is that you wouldn't even be allowed to have the word fire in a crowded theater. If the theater is actually on fire you can't say anything to warn people because you are not allowed to possess the word.

The OP is about mandatory recognition of out of state concealed carry permits.

My reply was a question whether constitutional rights should apply equally in all 50 states.

You suggested it would be a bad idea to bring a hunting weapon to a Presidential inauguration. I agree. What has that got to do with recognizing an out of state concealed carry permit as part of a uniform interpretation of the right to keep and bear arms across the entire United States?

BOOM!

pnwmom (79,421 posts)

14. What part of a "militia" don't you understand? I don't think the 2nd amendment

was ever written with the idea that assault weapons would be carried by private individuals.

branford (4,424 posts)

17. The militia, regular and irregular, are private individuals,

and the weapons they require as part of service are individual weapons of war, i.e., "assault weapons."

As a legal matter, the strict militia perspective on the 2A actually prioritizes "assault weapons" over handguns.

In any event, the law at issue primarily concerns concealed carry handguns, and seeks to treat licenses to own and carry them just like driver's licenses under a full faith and credit regime (and driver's licenses are not constitutionally protected like firearms).

Hear! Hear!

Shaneen Allen should never have been arrested and have her life threatened to be destroyed.

needledriver (431 posts)

18. Whether you think it or not

The Militia clause of the Second Amendment is simply one example of why the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. It is by no means a limitation on the right, nor is the right exclusive to members of the militia. The Supreme Court states that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right. However, if you insist that being in the Militia be a prerequisite to bearing arms, keep in mind that the Militia laws define membership in the Militia loosely enough that practically every adult in the United States is a member of the unorganized Militia, and that Militia service requires a weapon suitable for military service. So, membership in the Militia would require that I not own an "assault weapon" (semi automatic tactical sporting rifle) but an actual assault rifle (fully automatic hand held machine gun). Are you sure this is what you want to push for?

yallerdawg (8,229 posts)

26. The Constitution, particularly the 2nd Amendment...

was delivered unto us on a tablet, and is infallible.

Never mind it just gave us Corrupt Trump - "guns."

Said the Proglodytes who search the penumbras of the Constitution to find allowances for abortion, sodomy and gay "marriage."

11. Good grief! It's a law to enable hitmen to conduct business more easily.

:o

:lmao:

:rotf:

world wide wally (7,361 posts)

19. They want to make sure their brownshirts can shoot people all over the country when they complete

their basic training in Mississippi and Alabama

Damned small government Nazis!

rickford66 (1,404 posts)

31. I feel fairly safe here in New York ....

Let's keep it that way.

HoneyBadger (540 posts)

32. NY is concealed carry only

You would never know who was carrying.

oneshooter (8,024 posts)

35. And only the 1% can afford the permit. n/t

DonnaRx7 (12 posts)

49. IT is about time

Some of us that are weaker than the typical predator appreciate not having to go unarmed when we travel.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Re: "Reciprocity for me but not for thee."
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
HassleCat (5,732 posts)

3. States rights! What about states rights?
Let's see if we understand this. Florida can manipulate the voter rolls without federal interference, but New York must bow to federal authority that allows Billy Bob to walk around Central Park with his Glock. Is this a great country, or what?

Although this DUmbass is being sarcastic, I agree.
There should be no federal law for forcing states to accept.
We've all heard it, "what government gives, government can take away".
We are basically asking for permission and being granted permission.
Strict adherence to The Constitution is the answer here. All State laws that restrict should be struck down. THAT is the right answer.
I know, we've already crossed that line and changing it now is nothing but a dream, but it's still the only proper position that is Constitutionally valid.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:40:35 AM »
Strict adherence to The Constitution is the answer here. All State laws that restrict should be struck down. THAT is the right answer.
I know, we've already crossed that line and changing it now is nothing but a dream, but it's still the only proper position that is Constitutionally valid.

Likewise, Federal laws not DIRECTLY IN SUPPORT of the plain text of the USC should be struck down.  There is nothing in the USC about narcotics, abortion, marriage, education, and energy (among a bazillion other things the feds have their nose in).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:48 AM »
This is an example to the left of being careful what you wish for demand others bow down to.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:51:53 AM by Carl »

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »
Feeling the Bern (3,696 posts)

1. Talk about abusing full faith and credit. Taney did this with his logic in Dred Scott

The fascists won! We won't survive the next four years.
Only DUmmies would think that allowing more freedom = fascism.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »

Then all gun licensing and background checks should be abolished/struck down in all jurisdictions.

If they want to keep their NICS and licensing then we need assurances that their ****wit prosecutors cannot punish people for no crime other than not having a local stamp. The honor system isn't working so they'll get this.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »
waddirum (716 posts)

8. Well I guess my medical cannabis is good anywhere

I ever travel in these here United States. Good to know. Thanks.

I personally don't give two rats * about you medical pot but the fact that you indulge in such tells me that your not legally able to own firearms so you have no real standing on the issue.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
Most states that allow concealed carry already honor another state's concealed carry laws. A federal law will change very little, all things considered.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Most states that allow concealed carry already honor another state's concealed carry laws. A federal law will change very little, all things considered.

In NJ, NY, CT, MA, and MD, it will be big.  RI as well.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »

I can't travel from IN to VA without being a temporary felon in a few places. The restrictions need to be scrubbed, it really is ludicrous that we've allowed it to get this out of hand.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
world wide wally (7,361 posts)

19. They want to make sure their brownshirts can shoot people all over the country when they complete

their basic training in Mississippi and Alabama

Anyone down there in Mississippi or Alabama know of a place where I can get basic training in brown-shirtism?  I'd really like to expand my skill sets.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »

I suppose it will be a big deal to the liberals in those states, they never approve of being forced to do what is right and constitutional. Most of the states that I tend to visit recognized and honor my Florida permit.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »
Gun Hater-Grabbers know they don't have a Supreme Court sufficiently stacked to overturn the clear meaning of the 2nd Amendment. Similarly, gun Hater-Grabbers know they don't have the votes in the states to amend the Constitution. So their current tactic is to do things to make excising that constitutional right difficult or onerous.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »
Anyone down there in Mississippi or Alabama know of a place where I can get basic training in brown-shirtism?  I'd really like to expand my skill sets.

Check your VRWC messages from right around the first of the year . . . You should find a couple of "classes offered" messages. :whistling: :fuelfire: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »

Illinois does not honor any CCW from other states.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »

I guess by default, I didn't mention IL. I don't go there.

Offline jukin

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »

And it works out great there in Chicongo.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.