Author Topic: Proglodytes vote to be helpless, hapless infants that must be rigidly governed  (Read 1672 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
DemoTex (22,544 posts)

Wm. McPhail nails it in his New Yorker cartoon ..

And as a smug, retired airline captain, I LOVE IT!!! 

103 DU Wrecks as of this writing.

Is that how you infants view your family? Your conscience? Your menu choices at McDonald's?

(although, I'm sure a pretentious asshole who reads New Yorker magazine wouldn't deign to be seen at a McDonald's.)

Okay. You want subject matter experts governing every aspect of your lives. Fine.

Conservatives are the undisputed masters of winning elections, waging war, and running businesses.

Ergo, we should rule every aspect of your lives and we're going to start by dismantling the idiocy you have inflicted on CA, Detroit, Chicago and New York...you know, that place where they published that insipid cartoon.

However, in typical Proglodyte fashion, as soon as someone points out the obvious the Proglodytes bitch and whine that is not what they truly meant but are then powerless to express what they truly meant...

oberliner (42,007 posts)

1. It seems like this cartoon is mocking the idea of democracy

The suggestion being that ordinary people are too stupid to choose who will lead them?

blue cat (1,799 posts)

3. It seems like your statement

Is just plain stupid.

oberliner (42,007 posts)

8. What is the message of the cartoon?

It seems to be saying that most people are morons.

KittyWampus (53,082 posts)

17. Complex jobs require people with advanced skill sets.

But then, you know that.

oberliner (42,007 posts)

21. Of course

But the cartoon specifically shows a group of people voting, so, one would think, the cartoonist is saying something about democracy.

blue cat (1,799 posts)

26. Of course you would

Even though it's obviously not what it's about. I'm sorry that you don't get it.

oberliner (42,007 posts)

27. Maybe there is more to the cartoon than you think

It could be making a broader statement than you realize. It's worth thinking about, at least.

Schema Thing (10,242 posts)

32. GOOD ****ING LORD MAN, IT IS ABOUT THE ELECTION OF DONALD TRUMP.

In other words, Oberliner is exactly correct because you infants have been working to overthrow that election.

You loathe democracy whenever it fails to reaffirm your authoritarian impulses.

So go **** yourselves.

Skittles (110,506 posts)

4. you are REALLY starting to give yourself away now

truth hurts, does it?

Skittles (110,506 posts)

9. that's not what it says at ALL

it's SAYING to DON'T EXPECT A COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED PERSON TO DO A JOB THAT AFFECTS LIVES - and YES, THINKING DONALD ****ING TRUMP is qualified to be PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES is indeed STUPID / FOOLISH

So the presidency is a job that effects people's lives and the idea of leaving it to a popular vote seems stupid to you.

Got it.

The problem here, Proglodyte, is that you imagine yourselves to be the pilots; but one look at the liberal cesspools of Detroit, LA, NY, Chicago, Venezuela, Cuba, et al reveals that you are really the passenger standing in the aisle.

oberliner (42,007 posts)

13. The voting aspect of the cartoon seems to imply that making important choices democratically

Can be foolish.

I guess I see how it is more of an attack on those who went after the supposed "smugness" of Democrats and/or liberals and then chose a totally unqualified person to take charge instead.

Hard for me to tell exactly who are what the cartoon is spoofing, but I might just be a little out of it right now.

Skittles (110,506 posts)

14. Donald Trump is NOT A SOLUTION

he is PATHETIC

#YourPresident

:tongue:

oberliner (42,007 posts)

16. Well, that goes without saying

I just wasn't sure if the cartoon was making a broader point about democracy in general or was just directed at Trump in particular.

Skittles (110,506 posts)

18. good lawd

and by the way, the Electoral College OVERRIDES democracy

and Trump was installed with the help of VOTER SUPPRESSION, RUSSIA and the FBI

NO DEMOCRACY THERE

So you don't like experts ruling either, when it doesn't go your way.

Just admit that your authoritarians and have done with it.

Skittles (110,506 posts)

28. it's about Trump's IDIOTIC SUPPORTERS

*OVER AND OUT*

So only Trump supporters shouldn't be allowed to vote.

KittyWampus (53,082 posts)

19. That poster gave themselves away a longggg time ago.

baldguy (36,481 posts)

11. Which is why the Founders set up the USA as a republic, not a democracy.

Do you think that the pilot of an airliner should be selected from among the untrained passengers? Really?

Where did the founders ever express the idea that the political leaders would come from anyone except the masses?

JustinL (690 posts)

57. They didn't do a very good job, considering that their system gave us ****face as President.

The more democratic method of going by the popular vote would have given us a qualified President.

**** Las Angeles and San Francisco.

humbled_opinion (4,129 posts)

10. So politically this analogy

is saying that only experienced politicians should run the country ?

Skittles (110,506 posts)

12. it is saying

COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE SHOULD NOT RUN THE COUNTRY

by ANY measure, Donald ****ing Trump is COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED

Who decides what makes a candidate qualified?

Oh! Right! A vote of the people.

:bird:

meadowlander (20 posts)

50. Well, people with some form of relevant experience.

Why is that a difficult concept to grasp?

Yes, we live in a democracy. That doesn't mean any boob off the street is prepared to command a nuclear arsenal, direct public policy that affects millions of lives, and manage a budget of $3.8 trillion and a government that employs 2.8 million people.

As someone with a PhD and fifteen years busting my ass in the civil service, I'm sick of people like Sarah Palin saying things like being a mom qualifies her to be president and not being called out on it. I'm not qualified to be president and neither is anyone else who hasn't spent at least twenty or thirty years of their life dedicated to the sole purpose of accumulating relevant experience.

When did we decide to settle for so little in our leaders?

The GOP's game plan has been painfully obvious for years. They keep throwing monkey wrenches into the government and then complaining that it doesn't work and that therefore we need "outsiders" to come in and "drain the swamp". And then when they are in power, they just loot and pillage until enough people catch on to put them out of power again.

What I don't get is how so many people can fall for it, over and over and over again. It's only been 8 years since the Global Financial Crisis and the American public has handed the whole shebang, lock, stock and barrel, back over to the same asshats responsible for it.

A Ph.D. who can only manage to make civil servant wages.

Apparently you don't make the best decisions, do ya, buttercup?

Remind us why we should seek your advice about anything.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10028425320
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
After 8 years of Barrys endless **** ups it is hilarious that they think they should lecture on who is qualified to be President.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Simple views for simple minds.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
 :cheersmate:  :hi5: 

Amazing..........   ::)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline SVPete

oberliner (42,007 posts)

1. It seems like this cartoon is mocking the idea of democracy

The suggestion being that ordinary people are too stupid to choose who will lead them?

I see he got plenty spanked for pointing out a truth DU-folk found unpalatable.

Keep it up Libs & Progs! Keep telling normal people they are morons too stupid to know what's good for them! A cartoon in The New Yorker magazine will be especially effective!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Karin

Yeah, you could see Skittles getting REALLY IRRITATED FOR GAWD'S SAKE!

How insufferable is that newbie Meadowlander? 

Offline SVPete

Skittles (110,506 posts)

12. it is saying

COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE SHOULD NOT RUN THE COUNTRY

by ANY measure, Donald ****ing Trump is COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED

Well, not quite, "by ANY measure". By the measure of the votes of the states of the US, Trump is qualified. What's worse - from DU-folks' POV - he'll probably do so well that DU-folk will have to double-pretzellate themselves to deny how well he does. Their intellectual contortion act should be highly entertaining.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
The cartoon makes no sense, as has been pointed out.

In order to be an airplane pilot, you have to be certified and licensed by the FAA. Is the man wanting to be voted as pilot on the plane certified by the FAA to pilot that particular type of plane? If so, at least he has an argument he can try to make. If not, he has no argument as he isn't qualified.

In order to be POTUS, this is the Constitutional requirement:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."

Is Trump a natural born citizen of the US? Is he 35 years old or older? Has he been a resident of the US for the last 14 years? Yes to all those. He's qualified.

Silly primitives.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SVPete

The cartoon makes no sense, as has been pointed out.

In order to be an airplane pilot, you have to be certified and licensed by the FAA. Is the man wanting to be voted as pilot on the plane certified by the FAA to pilot that particular type of plane? If so, at least he has an argument he can try to make. If not, he has no argument as he isn't qualified.

In order to be POTUS, this is the Constitutional requirement:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty-five years, and been fourteen years a resident within the United States."

Is Trump a natural born citizen of the US? Is he 35 years old or older? Has he been a resident of the US for the last 14 years? Yes to all those. He's qualified.

Silly primitives.

Rational people willing to acknowledge what managing a large-scale international company entails would have no trouble recognizing Trump's relevant experience. But Libs & Progs have trouble getting past the union-stereotype of business owners and managers being parasitic ignorami.

Trump has plenty of experience - perhaps more than he wishes - dealing with government agencies - and in dealing with foreign governments. Just not from the position DU-folk like to contemplate. Someone who's had to navigate bureaucrat-strewn regulatory waterways is not likely to love complicating such things.

OTOH, what experience, in 2008, did BHO have? A couple of years of voting "Present" in the IL Legislature and another couple of years of doing nearly nothing in the US Senate?

(Fixed a typo)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:14:55 AM by SVPete »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
After 8 years of Barrys endless **** ups it is hilarious that they think they should lecture on who is qualified to be President.

Uh, yeah.

Within a millisecond of my starting to read the primitive thread, that was the first idea that popped into my head.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

REALITY:

The pilot is flying us into a mountain!!!! Who thinks I should fly the plane?!?!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SVPete

The realization just hit me! Someone posted a stupid meme on DU ..................... and it wasn't "kpete"!

Offline Karin

H5 to SVPete for the post.  Exactly.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
The realization just hit me! Someone posted a stupid meme on DU ..................... and it wasn't "kpete"!

Wait a second...

SVPete.

kpete.

Is she a relative of yours? The idiot cousin that nobody talks about at reunions?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline SVPete

Wait a second...

SVPete.

kpete.

Is she a relative of yours? The idiot cousin that nobody talks about at reunions?

Thankfully, no. My family name is Germanic rather than Swedish (was she a "good" feminist who kept her own family name, though?). Hopefully our families diverged not too many generations after a  dude named Japheth.

Offline freedumb2003b

Yes, we live in a democracy. That doesn't mean any boob off the street is prepared to command a nuclear arsenal, direct public policy that affects millions of lives, and manage a budget of $3.8 trillion and a government that employs 2.8 million people.

Yet that is exactly what you selected for POTUS in 2008.  After obozo, there is NO ONE ON EARTH who is not "qualified" for that position.  The bar is essentially the ground.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline 67 Rover

REALITY:

The pilot is flying us into a mountain!!!! Who thinks I should fly the plane?!?!

Different reality:
A terrorist broke into the cockpit.  Let's roll, who is with me!
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Different reality:
A terrorist broke into the cockpit.  Let's roll, who is with me!

Wait!

First we must discuss how this is blowback for American imperialism instigated by a dominionist Christians exploiting the masses through unfettered capitalism propped up by racism and toxic masculinity.

Then we can put the issue of retaking the plane to a vote after we have at least 3 rounds of voting wherein all proposed courses of action are subjected to a strict majority-rule vote except for COAs proposing violent action of some sort which must be ratified by a 3/5 majority.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Wait!

First we must discuss how this is blowback for American imperialism instigated by a dominionist Christians exploiting the masses through unfettered capitalism propped up by racism and toxic masculinity.

Then we can put the issue of retaking the plane to a vote after we have at least 3 rounds of voting wherein all proposed courses of action are subjected to a strict majority-rule vote except for COAs proposing violent action of some sort which must be ratified by a 3/5 majority.

Up twinkles

Offline Adam Wood

Wait!

"Dennis! There's some lovely filth down here...."