Author Topic: kid lunches..  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Lauri

kid lunches..
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »
today the 8 year old is taking leftover pizza for lunch.. i'm feeling lazy after entertaining her the past four days while daddy is out of town and she was home sick from school. she will LOVE it - and be surprised i did it..

still, i am just burned out on making lunches this year.

what do ya'll send to school with your kidlets?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: kid lunches..
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »
whiskey and twinkies.  :lmao:

I could go on and on about the school lunches.  :hammer: :-)

My guy likes to eat the school food. Fortunately, they do seem to have some decent offerings. I really have a problem with the waste though. I frequently drop in and have lunch with him. I'm shocked at how much those kids throw away! No wonder they charge so much. It's being wasted. Grrr....

They let them do a la carte but they must choose a "meat", two veg, etc...or they can do whatever entree is on the menu.

He LOVES Lunchables but they are a total rip off. Sometimes I do them as a treat and sometimes he'll take his lunch and it's usually a homemade "lunchable".
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »
You make lunches for your kids??  What a nice mom!!!   Me, I'm a mean mom...they gotta make it themselves!

My youngest is horrible to pack lunches for.  He won't eat sandwiches, and only like "hot" foods...so it has to be something in a thermos, or school lunch.  It's worth the $1.25 I pay for his lunch, because he acutally EATS it.  Last year he bought home 75% of what was being sent with him in packed lunches, so I gave up.  He loves cold pizza, though, so when he "wins" a free personal pan pizza through school, we get him one of those, and he takes it to school for lunch the next day. (He plans that for when they are having hoagies...he really hate sandwiches).

Offline lastparker

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
My daughter went to private KG where the lunches were wicked expensive and only offered twice a week, now that she's in publik skool, I was shocked how cheap the prices are!  But then she REFUSED to eat the school food for the first two months, so back to packing it was.... and I'm with Dixie - the waste is incredible... Now the kid has decided she'll eat at school, so less waste and less work for me.

When I was packing the lunches, I got sick of the same old PBJ she always wanted.  Lunchables are popular but, i agree, a rip-off.  One thing I got her to like was chicken salad wrapped in a tortilla.  Yogurt nearly every day and she'd eat baby carrots with ranch before her teeth started falling out.

Whiskey and twinkies.....now THAT'S funny!  And reminds me of a story I heard back when one of the beer companies (can't remember who) totally changed their packaging from a silver beer can to a bright blue one.  Some woman threw a beer in her high school son's lunch, thinking it was a Pepsi.  If that happened today, the kid would be expelled and the Mother arrested.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »
My daughter went to private KG where the lunches were wicked expensive and only offered twice a week, now that she's in publik skool, I was shocked how cheap the prices are!  But then she REFUSED to eat the school food for the first two months, so back to packing it was.... and I'm with Dixie - the waste is incredible... Now the kid has decided she'll eat at school, so less waste and less work for me.

When I was packing the lunches, I got sick of the same old PBJ she always wanted.  Lunchables are popular but, i agree, a rip-off.  One thing I got her to like was chicken salad wrapped in a tortilla.  Yogurt nearly every day and she'd eat baby carrots with ranch before her teeth started falling out.

Whiskey and twinkies.....now THAT'S funny!  And reminds me of a story I heard back when one of the beer companies (can't remember who) totally changed their packaging from a silver beer can to a bright blue one.  Some woman threw a beer in her high school son's lunch, thinking it was a Pepsi.  If that happened today, the kid would be expelled and the Mother arrested.
and kid the forever cool to his friends :)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »

and kid the forever cool to his friends :)

:drunksailor:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
our kidlet is in private school with no cafeteria, so.. we will be packing lunches for a long, long ... looooong time to come.

the chicken in a tortilla sounds promising.. and she gets sick of sandwiches as well. thank God she loves soup cause she takes that almost every day with bread sticks and yogurt.

i will use the whiskey and twinkies in a fall back position at some point, i'm sure. although, there's no 7-11 between home and school..  :-)

Offline Miss Red

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:27 PM »
My 7 year old likes a variety. She's fond of salads that we put things like raisins, feta, black olives, croutons etc on it and a little plastic container of dressing of her choice. Sometimes she'll take a hunk of bread with it and some fruit. Other days she'll want a sandwich. She's not really picky. Sometimes we do ham and some sort of cheese rolled up with a bit of cream cheese on a tortilla and cut into circles like pinwheels. She's taken chili in a thermos with cornbread and some fruit to eat for lunch. She loves hummus so we've done veggies/crackers/hummus with fruit. She likes hardboiled eggs too. Tuna or chicken salad with crackers or on bread or on a wrap is a go for her. Its hard during the winter as the produce isn't as nice as it is in the late spring and into fall.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
My 7 year old likes a variety. She's fond of salads that we put things like raisins, feta, black olives, croutons etc on it and a little plastic container of dressing of her choice. Sometimes she'll take a hunk of bread with it and some fruit. Other days she'll want a sandwich. She's not really picky. Sometimes we do ham and some sort of cheese rolled up with a bit of cream cheese on a tortilla and cut into circles like pinwheels. She's taken chili in a thermos with cornbread and some fruit to eat for lunch. She loves hummus so we've done veggies/crackers/hummus with fruit. She likes hardboiled eggs too. Tuna or chicken salad with crackers or on bread or on a wrap is a go for her. Its hard during the winter as the produce isn't as nice as it is in the late spring and into fall.

i could eat hummus every single day, for every single meal.. i LOVE that stuff.

in fact, i just finished some up yesterday... damnit!