Author Topic: DUmmy "TobinS" without air conditioning  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

DUmmy "TobinS" without air conditioning
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018865730

Star Member Tobin S. (8,635 posts)

Our central air unit is shot.

I had a guy come out to fix it and he estimated that it would cost about $1000, and no telling how long the fix might last. The unit is probably about 40 years old. He said he thought a new one would be between $3000 and $3500. I called a different place and they are going to come out and give me an estimate on Monday.

It has to be fixed before it gets hot. My wife is very sensitive to heat. She breaks a sweat if the temperature gets above 70 in the house. No joke. Maybe we'll move to northern Maine when we retire.

I'm hoping the next estimate is lower

I won't say it.

Offline Fourwinds

Re: DUmmy "TobinS" without air conditioning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:47:23 PM »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:54:27 PM »

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:17 PM »
I will. How long before he posts a gofundme link? :whistling:

CaliforniaPeggy to the rescue is my guess, they have a thing.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018865730

I won't say it.

That tub of goo probably starts to get oily if it gets over 70 degrees. Probably the only thing that makes him get more undressed than opening the rear hatch on his overalls.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »
$3500?  Try twice that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »
I had a guy come out to fix it and he estimated that it would cost about $1000, and no telling how long the fix might last.
Sounds like the "fix" was to refill it with coolant.  Not much of a solution.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ken8521

• DeSantis 2024!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:56:44 AM »
$3500?  Try twice that.

That's what I was thinking... $3500?  That dude doesn't even know how to lie and make it believable... if he's spending $3500... he's getting a used unit and a friend is putting it in for him... certainly not a company that is making any profit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 07:57:31 AM »
I had a whole new system with some additional ducts put in about 5 years ago. 10 grand. But I can hang meat if I want to.

KC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 08:01:06 AM »
DUmmy wants the others on the island to know he has central air. -- BTW, the simple solution is a couple of window units, or if the primitive lives in a place where that isn't allowed, he can get a couple of indoor, windowsless units for slightly more.

It'll cost less than fixing the central unit, and buy him time to save up for that repair. Sure, the cooling will be uneven, but its better than nothing.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:24:35 AM »
Quote from:
Major Nikon

13. Look for someone who has an independent small operation

My guy works for himself with his wife answering the phone and doing the books.

Any HVAC guy that's worth his salt can make a very good living working for himself and charging reasonable prices. These types of guys rely heavily on word of mouth and repeat business rather than advertising, so they have to be good. The bigger operations tend to hire guys that can't make it on their own, and they rely on advertising to bring in new business rather than repeat customers.

Edited to add:
When the next guy comes out, don't tell them so-and-so said this is what's wrong. Let each of them tell you what's wrong. 9 times out of 10 if you tell them something is bad, they are going to quote you a price to replace it even if it isn't bad and they will be more than happy to take your money to replace a perfectly good part which they might even return for a refund.

Talk about a Tale Of Two HVAC Operations.

"My advice is to hire a small business person because they cost less and must rely more on their reputation and service they provide.

BTW, don't tell them what other people say is wrong because this small business person, who relies on his honesty and word-of-mouth advertising, might rip you off."

Make up your simple mind, primitive.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
If only he had no brain conditioning.

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
She gets all sweaty if it breaks 70?  Just imagine what the domicile looks and smells like.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:10:17 PM »
Windows.  Drapes.  Fans.

It's not difficult, people. 

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:10:49 PM »
He likely damaged the AC unit.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I had a whole new system with some additional ducts put in about 5 years ago. 10 grand. But I can hang meat if I want to.

KC
One of the auxiliary server/network closets at work has a ductless Mitsubishi unit.  That room is freezing cold all year round.  It's colder than the main computer room with all the big servers and phone equipment.

The only time I used AC in my last apartment was at night when I was trying to sleep.  It wasn't the heat as much as it is the humidity around here.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 02:33:54 PM »
One of the auxiliary server/network closets at work has a ductless Mitsubishi unit.  That room is freezing cold all year round.  It's colder than the main computer room with all the big servers and phone equipment.

The only time I used AC in my last apartment was at night when I was trying to sleep.  It wasn't the heat as much as it is the humidity around here.

We went without AC until I started working the second shift years ago and had to try and sleep during the day. Central Illinois heat and humidity can be brutal. Still don't have central air, just a small unit in the bedroom and one in the living room.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 03:53:40 PM »

Good to know. We're fixing up an old victorian and the ductless stuff seems the way to go since running pipe/hose seems about the only way without destroying the character of the house

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »

It's definitely the heat around here. The year I had this unit installed we had a couple of weeks close to 110° with 90% + humidity everyday. I could put this unit on 68° and it would do it. I only did it one day just to make sure.

The year hurricane Rita rocked through here it was 93° inside the house at 3am. I ended up driving the family around for about 4 hours so they could sleep.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »
$3500?  Try twice that.

yeah, has to replace my furnace/AC last fall and it took over $8700 - lower energy bills since, though

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52:12 PM »
I will. How long before he posts a gofundme link? :whistling:

:-)  That's what I was wondering......    :cheersmate:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »

Same here. That's the killer.  I'll spend the day, outside, all day with over 90 and over 90% humidity, but sleeping?  Have to use it.

I replaced a Compressor unit, two years ago, for about $2400.00.  2 1/2 Ton.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
Windows.  Drapes.  Fans.

It's not difficult, people.

Add swamp cooler to the list.

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »

It's definitely the heat around here. The year I had this unit installed we had a couple of weeks close to 110° with 90% + humidity everyday. I could put this unit on 68° and it would do it. I only did it one day just to make sure.

The year hurricane Rita rocked through here it was 93° inside the house at 3am. I ended up driving the family around for about 4 hours so they could sleep.

KC
It rarely gets near 100 around here.  Low- to mid-90s regularly, but nothing like that.  Of course, having shade trees, drapes, and windows that don't face directly into the sun are an advantage.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 09:25:03 PM »
Add swamp cooler to the list.
We had one back in the 70s and 80s.  Worked like a charm.