Author Topic: No water since saturday night  (Read 3440 times)

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
No water since saturday night
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:00 AM »
Right about six o'clock on saturday, I turned on the faucet, and heard a POP sound coming from the basement. (I have a shallow well in the yard, drawn by a jet pump in the basement).

Apparently the capacitor on the jet pump failed, expanded, and blew a small hole in the side of the junction box housing. The hole isn't really a problem, the failed capacitor is definitely a problem. The pump just hums, so that means no water from the well.

Been searching for said capacitor all over the innerwebz, the only place you can get them is in bulk distribution from China, although I suspect they are mounted inside of tens of thousands of consumer items. Totally screwed by a ubiquitous two dollar part that cannot be gotten ahold of.

The place I bought the pump and tank in Montreal can probably provide me with one, but I have been waiting all weekend for them to open on Monday (today) to get ahold of them.

In the mean time, I am melting snow to flush the toilet, and using bottled water for everything else. You would not believe how much snow and time it takes to melt enough for one good flush.  :banghead:

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: No water since saturday night
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:38 AM »
That sounds grim, hope you get the part quickly. I'm curious though, do you put the snow down the toilet then wait for it to melt or do you melt it first?

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »
That sounds grim, hope you get the part quickly. I'm curious though, do you put the snow down the toilet then wait for it to melt or do you melt it first?

Well, I started out filling a bucket with snow, and putting the bucket in front of the heater, but that took most of a day to yield about a tenth of a bucket of water. So now I am scooping snow into a pot on the stove on low heat, and dumping that into the bucket when it is melted.

Seems like you need about ten gallons of snow to make one gallon of water. And it takes at least a gallon of water to flush the toilet, two gallons is better.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:46 AM »
Two places I deal with sometimes at work if you haven`t already checked them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
Two places I deal with sometimes at work if you haven`t already checked them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

Graingers is a good place to look, even better if there is a nearby store. I've dealt with  them and the people have been helpful and will take time to try and find a part for you if they don't have it in stock.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:56 AM »
I got hold of the place in Montreal that my system came from, the part will be here on Wed.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
Well, the dumbasses in Quebec didn't get my parts shipped out yesterday, so now looking at thursday. However, I looked around in my workshop, and found a capacitor on my drill press that seemed to be of adequate specs. I had to do a little obama rigging with the connectors, but I now have water flowing again. Mind you I am not that electrically inclined. I know enough to keep from zapping myself.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Well, the dumbasses in Quebec didn't get my parts shipped out yesterday, so now looking at thursday. However, I looked around in my workshop, and found a capacitor on my drill press that seemed to be of adequate specs. I had to do a little obama rigging with the connectors, but I now have water flowing again. Mind you I am not that electrically inclined. I know enough to keep from zapping myself.
Very nice! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Wow. Have you started getting a funny smell yet?

I'm sorry thats mean. I meant, OUCH thats stinks. Not having water is worse than not having power, at least if its not frozen outside.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »

Congrats on finding a new part yourself!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
Congrats on getting some water!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »
I would probably marry you because I bet you can do just about anything.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:44 AM »
I would probably marry you because I bet you can do just about anything.

Let me know when your divorce is final.  :bow:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Let me know when your divorce is final.  :bow:

It's good to know I have a backup!  Would you be able to stand a woman who can't do anything (fix it type stuff) herself?  I do praise my husband every time he does something, tell him how he is "the man" and stuff. 

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »
It's good to know I have a backup!  Would you be able to stand a woman who can't do anything (fix it type stuff) herself?  I do praise my husband every time he does something, tell him how he is "the man" and stuff. 

Your knowledge of soup recipes alone pays your way.  :hyper: