Author Topic: Jeep Grand Cherokee's  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Gratiot

Jeep Grand Cherokee's
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
What say you?  Own one?  Had one?  Thoughts... I'm really getting torn on car shopping...

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee's
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
My family never had one, but the one across the street did.  They had that thing for years and year and years.  Chrysler's slant six is pretty much indestructible and parts are super easy to find (and dirt cheap), especially if you have a Pull-A-Part in your area.

I say go for it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:31:15 PM »
Mine's a piece of crap. Must've gotten a lemon. I spent almost $1500 a year ago for a new transmission and it still runs like crap. Never again. Next time I'm gonna buy Japanese or German. Let's be honest. Americans can't build cars. Some union thug gets $50 an hour to screw in a bolt and he can't even do that right.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
What year are you looking at?  I'm only familiar with the older, boxy 80s model. 

I prefer older cars anyway... I hate working on new ones.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:35:57 PM »
What year are you looking at?  I'm only familiar with the older, boxy 80s model.

I honestly have no idea!   :thatsright:  I turned in my Nissan Xterra a few months ago, and have been driving my company car or motorcycle since than.  With cooler weather approaching, decided I need to go out and pick something up.  Something... at first I thought maybe I'd go pick up a slightly used Wrangler or mid-sized pick up, found a couple.  Now though, I'm starting to debate about just going out and picking up a newer Grand Cherokee, 07 lease return, possibly 09 leftover or an 09 F150.  I'm just a bit hesitant on if I want to spend that much, as I might be moving and going back to school in a year and a half. 

I found this one, which I rather like.  05 with 39k miles, auto, sound bar, new rubber.  I'm just having a hard time justifying $15k for an essentially 5 year old car that's out of warranty.  Or $16.4k after taxes and all...  On an odd note... I was absolutely floored that insurance for a soft top wrangler was RIDICULOUSLY cheap. 

Than I started looking at an 08 Toyota Tundra, only 25k miles and still under warranty, auto.  25 mpg hwy is pretty darn impressive, especially with how much hwy driving I tend to do.  Having a 4 cyl., I could never tow with it... but the bed will fit mountain bikes, camping gear, and kayaks quite nicely.  Insurance is twice as much as the Wrangler, oddly enough, actually almost as much as it is for an 08 Mustang  :o  They're asking $13.4k, or $15k out the door.   

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »
Never again. Next time I'm gonna buy Japanese or German. Let's be honest. Americans can't build cars. Some union thug gets $50 an hour to screw in a bolt and he can't even do that right.

Between them all now, I think it's fair to say they're all pretty equal with regards to quality now.  At least, if you exclude the cheapest auto's they all make. 

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
That wrangler looks like it'd be a bit short on room after you load a weekends worth of drinkin' in there.

The tacoma would be better make sure you get the 4X4 version - but you wanna put at least 4" spring lift and a couple inches of bodylift in there, else you'll crack that diff like an egg...

Then some bigger tires.

The US apparently being lacking in my preferred Nissan model - See if you can find a Landcruiser V8 Turbo Diesel they're kickass.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »
I've driven several cherokees up until the later 2000s and have always thought they were overpriced new. For the price they drive like a 15 year old pickup truck, and need about as much work.

$13+ is a bunch of money from a 2wd Tacoma, however, Mrs RC and I got a 4wd extra cab in the mid ninties when I got out of the Marines and we loved it.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
I've driven several cherokees up until the later 2000s and have always thought they were overpriced new. For the price they drive like a 15 year old pickup truck, and need about as much work.

Parts are expensive for them too.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
Parts are expensive for them too.

And they need A LOT of parts
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
Had a '97 Grand Cherokee Limited with 8 miles on it when I got it. It was a lease that I had for 3 years. Loved it. I think it only had about 18,000 miles on it when I turned it in....never needed anything....except it needed new brakes when I turned it in... :-)

Turned it in for a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with 8 miles on it...it too, was a lease, but we bought it at the end of the lease. I loved it but not as much as the '97 as the seat changed shape somewhat and I didn't "fit" the same in it. I drove it for another 2 years, now the other half drives it and it has 106,000 miles on it. He says he's going to drive it til it won't go any more. Knock on wood, it's only needed brakes, tires and new batteries. It had a problem with the heater on the passenger side, but it was pretty simple to fix.

I have a '06 Nissan Murano that I lease, that is just about at 25,000 after 39 months.....I just extended the lease another 6 months. It's much better on gas because it's a 6 cylinder, but I like the Jeeps better and may go back to one when I turn this one in....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
I've got an '08 Liberty.  3.7L V-6, 4X4, with sunroof and tow package.  Normally I get 23-24 on the highway (even with all the hills) but if I tow anything, mileage goes to hell.  I've put over 31K miles on it in less than 18 months, and I love it.  No problems thus far.  The only issue I have is the oil filter is a bitch to get to.

Other than that, it's a champ in winter up here.  Even in deep snow, don't have to put it into 4WD much.

Depending on which one you want and options, new MSRP runs anywhere from $24K (4X2, $25,370 4X4) to about $32K for a loaded Libery Sport that I've got (I don't have ALL the options, but enough).
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »
Back in early 88, I purchased an 88 Jeep Cherokee from Avis Car Rental Sales. It had 7000 miles on it. I put another 70K on it without ANY problems whatsoever. I kept the oil changed regularly, had some fluids changed in the differentials, etc. Pretty much scheduled maintenance. It was a good vehicle. I wound up having to drive it through 12" of snow one night from Minneapolis to Hastings, MN. When other vehicles were slipping and sliding, I was making tracks in relative safety. I did venture out on another night, off roading, showing off and got stuck in an 18"-24" snow drift. Had to get a friend with a tractor to come out and tow me out of the drift.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Well now I'm contemplating picking up an 01 Wrangler, nearly in perfect shape, albeit with 130k miles and priced accordingly.  I figure the I6 engine is essentially bulletproof, regularly good for 200K+... even than an engine rebuild or new trans would only be a about grand to twelve-hundred.  Plus... I've always thought a Wrangler would make a fun weekend toy.  I'll drive it through the winter and than possibly buy a new car/suv come Spring, and make it a second-fun vehicle.   

Of course, I'm still thinking about just picking up an 09/10 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  They're really shiny after all... argh, I hate car shopping!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
We have had four Grand Cherokees and loved them all........the one before the '08 we just bought, we put 116,000 miles on it, and all it ever needed was a serpintine belt, and oil changes.....all were V-8's.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
Well now I'm contemplating picking up an 01 Wrangler, nearly in perfect shape, albeit with 130k miles and priced accordingly.  I figure the I6 engine is essentially bulletproof, regularly good for 200K+... even than an engine rebuild or new trans would only be a about grand to twelve-hundred.  Plus... I've always thought a Wrangler would make a fun weekend toy.  I'll drive it through the winter and than possibly buy a new car/suv come Spring, and make it a second-fun vehicle.   

Of course, I'm still thinking about just picking up an 09/10 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  They're really shiny after all... argh, I hate car shopping!

One thing to consider--mine has a lifetime powertrain warranty.  Might be worth seeing if they still offer that on the Jeeps.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »
The lifetime powertrain warranty is still available on the '09 Grand Cherokee.  It doesn't look like it's an option for 2010 models.

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
One thing to consider--mine has a lifetime powertrain warranty.  Might be worth seeing if they still offer that on the Jeeps.

That is definitely a huge factor in my decision process... 09 Cherokees still have them, and with all the rebates and discounts I'm eligible for; I'm seeing them for $20-21k plus tax, title, and destination... hard to beat that savings plus a life time powertrain warranty.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:22:06 AM by Gratiot »

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
That is definitely a huge factor in my decision process... 09 Cherokees still have them, and with all the rebates and discounts I'm eligible for; I'm seeing them for $20-21k plus tax, title, and destination... hard to beat that savings plus a life time powertrain warranty.

Just make sure you read the fine print--have to have it dealer inspected every five (?) years for warranty to be valid.  But if you're getting the 4X4, to have a lifetime powertrain warranty is a HUGE plus.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
Just make sure you read the fine print--have to have it dealer inspected every five (?) years for warranty to be valid.  But if you're getting the 4X4, to have a lifetime powertrain warranty is a HUGE plus.

Indeed!  With all the rebates, discounts, etc... I've decided on a nice 4x4 Commander  :cheersmate:  What really threw me for the loop though, was the staggering difference in insurance between it and a Cherokee.  Since they're essentially the same cars.  Going to do the paperwork and pick it up tomorrow, hopefully.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »
I've never understood the discrepancy in insurance prices between essentially similar vehicles. My daughter has a 2004 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe that we bought for her brand new. It's a small 4 cyl, but the insurance on that cost more than my 05 F-150 4WD King Ranch.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
I've never understood the discrepancy in insurance prices between essentially similar vehicles. My daughter has a 2004 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe that we bought for her brand new. It's a small 4 cyl, but the insurance on that cost more than my 05 F-150 4WD King Ranch.

Insurance underwriting is based on a set of complex formulas that encompass both the vehicle, and its option content, costs to repair history, crash performance history, as well as the age, driving history, and relative geography of the insured.

Also different insurance companies use different underwriting systems.....hence you can shop around, and get a wide variation in prices on the same vehicle/driver combination........I just finished the "quotation" process on both our homeowners, and car insurance and found a variation of close to 250% between the lowest and highest quotes on the same house/vehicle.

Since I consider insurance a "necessary evil", I've found that it pays to shop around.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.