Author Topic: Wind Farms Destined to Become Rust Farms  (Read 4190 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Wind Farms Destined to Become Rust Farms
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:34:04 AM »
The ghosts of Kamaoa are not alone in warning us. Five other abandoned wind sites dot the Hawaiian Isles -- but it is in California where the impact of past mandates and subsidies is felt most strongly. Thousands of abandoned wind turbines littered the landscape of wind energy's California "big three" locations -- Altamont Pass, Tehachapi, and San Gorgonio -- considered among the world's best wind sites.

Built in 1985, at the end of the boom, Kamaoa soon suffered from lack of maintenance. In 1994, the site lease was purchased by Redwood City, CA-based Apollo Energy.

Cannibalizing parts from the original 37 turbines, Apollo personnel kept the declining facility going with outdated equipment. But even in a place where wind-shaped trees grow sideways, maintenance issues were overwhelming.  By 2004 Kamaoa accounts began to show up on a Hawaii State Department of Finance list of unclaimed properties. In 2006, transmission was finally cut off by Hawaii Electric Company.

California's wind farms -- then comprising about 80% of the world's wind generation capacity -- ceased to generate much more quickly than Kamaoa.  In the best wind spots on earth, over 14,000 turbines were simply abandoned.  Spinning, post-industrial junk which generates nothing but bird kills.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/wind_energys_ghosts_1.html

Lots more at link.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Wind Farms Destined to Become Rust Farms
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Yup the Leftists are very quiet about this boondoggle foisted on the public. Here's another "nail" in the coffin, last I heard, the best a wind turbine could expect in efficiency was 25%, nowhere near the claims made when it was the "thing" to do.
Time for these dino's to be recycled.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/wind_energys_ghosts_1.html

Lots more at link.

We lived in the LA area back in the late '80's, and I remember driving out I-10 to Palm Springs, through these gigantic wind farms, and nearly half of the turbines were apparently not operating then, so it appears that they were at least a partially functioning eyesore at that time, now they are vast expanses of junk polluting the beauty of the high desert.......

I thought that lefty environmentalists were all about preserving the "beauty of nature", and all that stuff......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
doc--So Cal Edison (my former employer) owned/operated those wind turbines.  Pure pork, and if SCE hadn't gotten a boatload of tax cuts and subsidies to build them (as my current employer now gets), they'd have never been built.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »
doc--So Cal Edison (my former employer) owned/operated those wind turbines.  Pure pork, and if SCE hadn't gotten a boatload of tax cuts and subsidies to build them (as my current employer now gets), they'd have never been built.

Is SCE the same bunch of geniuses that built a nuke plant on an active fault?  I seem to remember some discussion about that when we lived there........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »
Is SCE the same bunch of geniuses that built a nuke plant on an active fault?  I seem to remember some discussion about that when we lived there........

doc

Not as bad as some others.  Remember, there's also active fault lines along the Mississippi as well.

ETA: The plant is still designed to withstand a 7.0-plus earthquake centered 5 miles away.  Not many structures, even in CA, are that well built.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:43:10 PM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
On the plus side of these windmills rusting out, they aren't killing migratory birds.  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
On the plus side of these windmills rusting out, they aren't killing migratory birds.  :lmao:

Actually they are.......if you read the article at the link, even though they are abandoned, they are still "windmilling" in order to circulate the lubricating oil, I guess to keep them from seizing up and destroying themselves catastrophically......

doc