Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 567248 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »
Guides were sized for silk lines which are smaller in diameter for given line weight compared to plastic lines.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »
Well I gave up. I can't get the thing to budge, so I re-wrapped the ferrule. The other stripper is huge compared to the one on the rod, so I'll wait till I get a better sized one.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »
Send me what size you would like and I will try to help you out. I'm sure I can.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I'm thinking 8 or 9 mm. (agate  :-)   :wink:) I'm not sure what a 5 wt rod actually needs? The one on the rod is tiny. Barely bigger than modern line. Even with silk line I still wonder why they used such small ones.  :???:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
Agate I would have to charge you. Mildrum or chrome could be a gift. :cheersmate:
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
Your choice.   :thumbs:

:hyper:

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
PM me you info and I'll send you a vintage Mildrum NOS. They work great.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 09:34:56 AM »
Arrived. TY!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2013, 08:43:31 PM »
cats, I'm rewrapping a 7'-0" 5wt Uslan. I don't know what size guides to get. Stripper, 7 guides and a tiptop. Can you help?

Thanks!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2013, 04:03:59 AM »
Your looking for free guides?  I don't have any specs on Uslan's. Is it a pent? I have a bunch of English twist snakes I could let go for a conservative fee.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
LOL. No, I don't want free guides. I expect to pay market value for them!

Yes it is a pent, I am interested in the snakes.

This rod needs to be fished. I dropped it off with a rod maker in Durrango a few years back. He had a heart attack while helping his neighbor with a stuck car in the snow. Another builder took over his work and after a year told me he didn't have time to rewrap it.
So, it's been sitting round here for some time and I think it's finally time to fish it!

I'm just not sure on the guide
 sizes I need to get, any help would be appreciated. And if you have the guides, I would be happy to purchase them from you.

Thanks!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2013, 04:54:34 AM »
I happen to build a 7' penta 4wt that cast very nice. Everyone who picks it up is impressed. That said I never tried the English twist guides on them. They are chrome and seem a bit squat compared to the snake brand I generally use. I have used them on a few 6' banty's with good results. They are very rare if you look, H&H no longer makes them. I picked up a bunch in a big lot of stuff I bought at a gathering years ago. I could send you a set of 8 snakes in the size I have that I think would do well on that rod. For the stripper and tip top you would be on your own. If you like them pay me what you think and if you don't send em back. We are all friends here right?

PM me if you like.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2013, 11:58:18 PM »
PM sent.

Thank you.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »
Package coming you way. I'll take that 85 Harley in trade! :-)

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Got another mid 60's JW Young Beaudex. $50 and it looks almost new. Love these reels. I think I have an addiction......... :o

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
UH OH Houston, I have a problem:

MOAR RODS!

A beat up Granger Special (barely visible in the pic), pre Wright and McGill. No guides on the butt section mid is meh and no tip. Reel seat has seen better days:

Unknown rod, but might be a Monty. Very dark flamed cane. It might be worth fixing up, but the female ferrules are both cracked. Looks like an 8 1/2 foot rod. The ferrules are not pinned.

I also got another butt section, a tip section (looks like a SB with Black Jasper wraps) and a Union Hardware rod with a busted tip..............................all for just under $50.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2013, 08:19:43 PM »
I warned you! Ebay?

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »
I warned you! Ebay?

Nope, not Eprey. A local "Antique Mall".

Not sure what I want to do with the Granger, I'm thinking the cost of having a new tip sections made is cost prohibitive. I may sell, there are lots of rod restorers/collectors that may want good sections and what I have, other than missing parts, is in fair/good shape.

The second rod (dark) may be a Monty 'Highlander". not worth much, but since it's all "there". minus the ferules, it may turn into another project rod. I kinda like the dark cane.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
Ferrules are the worst fix you will encounter! A ton of issues there! If you decide your going to try. send me the old ones and I may be able to help you. I have a ton of vintage ferrules.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Ferrules are the worst fix you will encounter! A ton of issues there! If you decide your going to try. send me the old ones and I may be able to help you. I have a ton of vintage ferrules.

PM me your info, I'll send them out.  :thumbs:

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »
my sept trip to the Locsha is coming up. will be the 12 year in a row having fun with the westslope cuttys.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
my sept trip to the Locsha is coming up. will be the 12 year in a row having fun with the westslope cuttys.

:cheersmate:

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
I lived I Colorado for 37 years, and never bothered to learn fly-fishing.
Just one of those regrets.
I admire what you're doing.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Found a rod maker that'll make the tip sections for the Granger, they are even ammonia treated, for $75 ea.

Nice.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
Oh dear, look what followed me home:

Wright & McGill 8 1/2 ft. Stream and Lake. Needs some work........... but for $50    :hyper: