Author Topic: US Accused of Holding Terror Suspects on Prison Ships  (Read 2864 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
US Accused of Holding Terror Suspects on Prison Ships
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
The United States is operating "floating prisons" to house those arrested in its war on terror, according to human rights lawyers, who claim there has been an attempt to conceal the numbers and whereabouts of detainees.

Details of ships where detainees have been held and sites allegedly being used in countries across the world have been compiled as the debate over detention without trial intensifies on both sides of the Atlantic. The US government was yesterday urged to list the names and whereabouts of all those detained.

Information about the operation of prison ships has emerged through a number of sources, including statements from the US military, the Council of Europe and related parliamentary bodies, and the testimonies of prisoners.

The analysis, due to be published this year by the human rights organisation Reprieve, also claims there have been more than 200 new cases of rendition since 2006, when President George Bush declared that the practice had stopped.

It is the use of ships to detain prisoners, however, that is raising fresh concern and demands for inquiries in Britain and the US.

According to research carried out by Reprieve, the US may have used as many as 17 ships as "floating prisons" since 2001. Detainees are interrogated aboard the vessels and then rendered to other, often undisclosed, locations, it is claimed.

Ships that are understood to have held prisoners include the USS Bataan and USS Peleliu. A further 15 ships are suspected of having operated around the British territory of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, which has been used as a military base by the UK and the Americans.

Help me out here Sailors and Marines of CC...I didn't think there was anyplace an an LHA or any ship for that matter to use them as "floating prisions"...they don't have the space for it.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: US Accused of Holding Terror Suspects on Prison Ships
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:40:24 PM »
Dunno Sarge, but it makes sense to me, and avoids all of the liberal issues with "International Law", I'm certainly not an expert on maritime law, but it looks like a hell of a good idea to me. It would eliminate a lot of juristictional issues......and as I understand it, the capitan of a ship on the high seas can do pretty much anything that he wants......perhaps all the folks that complain about "waterboarding" would look more favorably on it if we reverted to the age-old tradition of "keel-hauling" the bastards......

There is a book out on this topic that I noticed in my local bookstore over the weekend......probably written by some hand-wringer, I think the title was "Ghost Ships", or something similiar.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
Life is hard here on board The Raging Queen!

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
The United States is operating "floating prisons" to house those arrested in its war on terror, according to members of the Democrat Underground forum

Fixed!

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:56:57 PM »
Frankly, if such a practice existed, I would commend it.

Q. What do you call someone who escapes a floating prison ?
A. Bait.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
They should have packed the Oriskany full of terrorists...

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
Help me out here Sailors and Marines of CC...I didn't think there was anyplace an an LHA or any ship for that matter to use them as "floating prisions"...they don't have the space for it.

They would have them in some kind of confinement on board those ships.  Here's the rub, while they may have been detained on those ships it was because we were giving them medical treatment before they were deposited in Gitmo.

That's right, my fellow CCers, the horrible US of KKKA was torturing these poor misunderstood jihadis with the best medical care, hot food, clean clothes and sheets, and air conditioning.   :whatever:

LHDs as prison ships?  Only if you are asking ship's company...   :-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:29:18 PM »
Why should we care?  ::) I say stuff terrorists and their sympathizers into shipping crates and seal it tight. Than dump them into the Mariana Trench.  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 08:36:36 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Nick Schizen

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
What a great idea if true!

The only thing that saddens me about it is that I didn't think of it first!

And with some "green thinking" it could work out to be a good thing as well!

Cut some holes in the side ........... poke out some oars and let um have at it! :naughty:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »
Quote from: Nick Schizen

What a great idea if true!

The only thing that saddens me about it is that I didn't think of it first!

And with some "green thinking" it could work out to be a good thing as well!

Cut some holes in the side ........... poke out some oars and let um have at it!

What ? Put holes in a perfectly good ship ? Never.

Get em over the side and make em swim. We'll even tie a rope 'round their leg first. Never know, might be able to serve the crew some fresh shark steaks each night.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »
I think all of the terrorists should learn how to water ski 500 miles from shore without a life preserver :lmao:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »
Quote from: Lacarnut
I think all of the terrorists should learn how to water ski 500 miles from shore without a life preserver

It's not a life preserver, it's a "float",

and it's not water-skiing it's "Trolling"

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00:18 AM »
Quote from: Lacarnut
I think all of the terrorists should learn how to water ski 500 miles from shore without a life preserver

It's not a life preserver, it's a "float",

and it's not water-skiing it's "Trolling"

You are just hell bent on getting those human right asshol@s down on us.  :fuelfire: