Author Topic: Armstrong steps down as chairman of Livestrong cancer-fighting charity  (Read 1350 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39

AUSTIN, Texas –  Lance Armstrong said Wednesday he is stepping down as chairman of his Livestrong cancer-fighting charity so the group can focus on its mission instead of its founder's problems.

The move came a week after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency released a massive report detailing allegations of widespread doping by Armstrong and his teams when he won the Tour de France seven consecutive times from 1999 to 2005. The document's purpose was to show why USADA has banned him from cycling for life and ordered 14 years of his career results erased -- including those Tour titles. It contains sworn statements from 26 witnesses, including 11 former teammates.

Armstrong, who was not paid a salary as chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, will remain on its 15-member board. His duties leading the board will be turned over to vice chairman Jeff Garvey, who was founding chairman in 1997.

"This organization, its mission and its supporters are incredibly dear to my heart," Armstrong said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press. "Today therefore, to spare the foundation any negative effects as a result of controversy surrounding my cycling career, I will conclude my chairmanship."

Foundation spokeswoman Katherine McLane said the decision turns over the foundation's big-picture strategic planning to Garvey. He will also assume some of the public appearances and meetings that Armstrong used to handle.

Armstrong strongly denies doping, but did not fight USADA accusations through arbitration, saying he thinks the process is unfair. Once Armstrong gave up the fight in August and the report came out, crisis management experts predicted the future of the foundation, known mainly by its Livestrong brand name, would be threatened. They said Armstrong should consider stepping down to keep the charity from getting dragged into a debate over doping.

Armstrong's inspiring story of not only recovering from testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain but then winning the world's best-known bike race helped his foundation grow from a small operation in Texas into one of the most popular charities in the country.

Armstrong drew legions of fans -- and donations -- and insisted he was drug free at a time when doping was rampant in professional cycling. In 2004, the foundation introduced the yellow "Livestrong" bracelets, selling more than 80 million and creating a global symbol for cancer awareness and survivorship.

"As my cancer treatment was drawing to an end, I created a foundation to serve people affected by cancer. It has been a great privilege to help grow it from a dream into an organization that today has served 2.5 million people and helped spur a cultural shift in how the world views cancer survivors," Armstrong said.

As chairman, Armstrong did not run the foundation's day-to-day operations, which are handled by Livestrong president and chief executive Doug Ulman.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/10/17/armstrong-steps-down-as-chairman-livestrong-cancer-fighting-charity/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Kyle Ricky

Re: Armstrong steps down as chairman of Livestrong cancer-fighting charity
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
Nike also ended their partnership with him.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
Just goes to prove that "progressive liberalism" is worse than cancer. 500 doping tests, and not a single positive among 'em, and yet because he's sooo much more successful than the also ran contenders surrounding him, he's guilty because they made the accusation.

This guy doesn't normally exist in my universe, but I really feel for him.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:41:53 PM »
Just goes to prove that "progressive liberalism" is worse than cancer. 500 doping tests, and not a single positive among 'em, and yet because he's sooo much more successful than the also ran contenders surrounding him, he's guilty because they made the accusation.

This guy doesn't normally exist in my universe, but I really feel for him.

And what makes it worse...is that people who HAVE been busted for doping...including Floyd Landis are the ones being used as "expert" witnesses against Lance.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Anheuser Busch announced today that they are ending their partnership with him also. His walls are all falling in on him.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »
I've been wondering who Lance pissed off so much they went after him loaded for bear.  Twenty-six witnesses against him, really?  Talk about overkill!  No consequences for anyone but Lance?  Something stinks to high heaven here.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:16 AM »
Lance Armstrong is a fraud and a cheat. His "Livestrong" outfit is always called a cancer-fighting charity but in fact spends not one dime on cancer research.

Instead, they've taken in nearly a half-billion dollars to "raise cancer awareness".

No doubt, millions more are needed to stamp out the remaining clusters of people who are not yet aware of cancer.

In the midst of all this, Lance has amassed a personal fortune of $125 million, and relentlessly sought to destroy anyone who has cast doubt on his purity.

I really believe that if a legitimate investigation were politically possible, it would find his personal bout with cancer was vastly exaggerated.