Author Topic: Loughner pleads guilty to Arizona shooting, judge finds suspect competent to sta  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Arizona is a DP state. He Copped a Guilty plea to get LWOP

And it would be my guess that the reason why they offered him a plea deal was the uncertainty involved regarding Loughner's schizophrenia.

It's still an issue for the defense.

The authorities had to force-feed Loughner medication to treat his diagnosed schizophrenia since he's been remanded. While the judge ruled him competent to stand trial, that doesn't mean that the defense wouldn't have pointed to Loughner's condition in an effort to get him exonerated.

Don't laugh -- it happens.

Unfortunately, the taxpayer is stuck with feeding, clothing, housing, and medically treating this scumbag for decades to come.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
I wonder if he is going to the Supermax Prison in Colorado. Ted Kaczynski pleaded guilty and ended up in the Supermax Prison.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
I wonder if he is going to the Supermax Prison in Colorado. Ted Kaczynski pleaded guilty and ended up in the Supermax Prison.

Ted Kaczynski was charged in federal court, and thus went to a FEDERAL supermax.  This turd was charged in Arizona state/Pima county court, and is just gonna wind up dying of old age in Florence, AZ.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Ted Kaczynski was charged in federal court, and thus went to a FEDERAL supermax.  This turd was charged in Arizona state/Pima county court, and is just gonna wind up dying of old age in Florence, AZ.

I thought Loughner was facing federal charges first because he killed Judge John Roll.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Kyle Ricky

I thought Loughner was facing federal charges first because he killed Judge John Roll.

He also shot a government official. I would think that falls under federal jurisdiction?

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
He also shot a government official. I would think that falls under federal jurisdiction?

Quote from: the FoxNews Article
The plea came soon after a federal judge had found that months of forcibly medicating Loughner to treat his schizophrenia had made the 23-year-old college dropout competent to understand the gravity of the charges against him and assist in his defense.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/07/suspect-in-tucson-shooting-pleads-guilty/#ixzz22yTr5pek

I take it all back.  He WILL be headed to a federal "pound you in the ass" prison.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Kyle Ricky

I take it all back.  He WILL be headed to a federal "pound you in the ass" prison.

They will keep him in solitary the whole time he is there. Maybe be nice and let him for an hour a day, which he will be guarded and not allowed around anyone, and/or anyone around him. Heck, he will probably never know who his next door cellmate is.

Offline thundley4

I'm pretty sure that he still has to face the state charges.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

This article says the guilty plea was heard in U.S. Federal District Court in Tucson. And the article points toward Loughner's mental illness as being a factor in the government's decision to plea bargain.

NY Slimes

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I'm pretty sure that he still has to face the state charges.

Not sure how that works, but yeah, I would think so.

If the state condemns him to death and the trial succeeds with that being the penalty, how does that stack up against the feds' plea bargain? I hope DAT can weigh in on this.

Offline Kyle Ricky

Not sure how that works, but yeah, I would think so.

If the state condemns him to death and the trial succeeds with that being the penalty, how does that stack up against the feds' plea bargain? I hope DAT can weigh in on this.

I will have to ask a lawyer friend of mine, but I am guessing that the fed's take precedence.

Offline Zeus

I will have to ask a lawyer friend of mine, but I am guessing that the fed's take precedence.

With the DP in the works be interesting to see how it works.  I do know of a couple cases where guys are doing state time then they will do fed time afterwords.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
This article says the guilty plea was heard in U.S. Federal District Court in Tucson. And the article points toward Loughner's mental illness as being a factor in the government's decision to plea bargain.

NY Slimes

All the news that's fit to chintz.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Kyle Ricky

With the DP in the works be interesting to see how it works.  I do know of a couple cases where guys are doing state time then they will do fed time afterwords.

I've heard of that also, but it was only in cases where the state gave them a lesser sentence than the feds gave them. Like ten years for the state, and life for the feds; or something like that. What could happen is that the state could convict him of something smaller and give him a couple of years there, then the feds will convict him of murder and give him life or death row, at which point he will serve that out in a fed prison. I will have to ask a lawyer friend of mine, though. It is all confusing for me.