Author Topic: Obama Authorizes Covert Operations  (Read 5268 times)

Offline namvet

Obama Authorizes Covert Operations
« on: March 30, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »

President Obama has a signed a secret presidential finding authorizing covert operations to aid the effort in Libya where rebels are in full retreat despite air support from U.S. and allied forces, a source tells ABC News.

The presidential finding discusses a number of ways to help the opposition to Moammar Gadhafi, authorizing some assistance now and setting up a legal framework for more robust activities in the future.

The finding does not direct covert operatives to provide arms to the rebels immediately, although it does prepare for such a contingency and other contingencies should the president decide to go down that road in the future.

The White House press office issued a statement saying it does not comment on intelligence matters.

ABC News

I do believe this inexperienced boy just unzipped his fly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:18:09 PM by Chris »

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Obama Authorizes Covert Operations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
Shouldn't that be unbuttoned his vest, pulled out his tie, and pissed down his leg? :rotf:

Here is a dump link:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4793968

HereSince1628  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-30-11 03:57 PM
Response to Original message
1. Well, that seems like a well kept secret.

~     ~     ~

Journeyman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Mar-30-11 03:58 PM
Response to Original message
3. That's quite a secret order for covert operations. Easier to keep quiet about it if we all know. . .

Shhhhhhhh, it's a secret.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
Pfffttt.  Now tell us something we didn't know.

Those Tomahawks didn't find targets by themselves.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
If it was a secret, it isn't now.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
The big surprise is that this wasn't leaked by the New York Times the same day that Obama signed it.

Offline namvet

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
now its FUBAR

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline true_blood

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
now its FUBAR
Anything this imposter or administration touch is FUBAR.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
So much for no boots on the ground.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »

Obama might hi-jack some of those Crocs donated to Japan, so there won't be boots on the ground.  Crocs, part of the fabulous new uniforms for post DADT.  :rotf:

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:07 PM »
If it was a secret, it isn't now.

The best place to hide something is in plain sight. For some reason I don't buy into that theory. I think its applicable in this case.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
Obama might hi-jack some of those Crocs donated to Japan, so there won't be boots on the ground.  Crocs, part of the fabulous new uniforms for post DADT.  :rotf:
In pink. :-)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:46:32 PM »
Obama- "No boots on the ground"...  :lmao:

I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it a hundred times more, never mind what Soetoro says, just pay attention to what he does.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8039326

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »
I seem to recall a certain "non-war" in southeast Asia beginning in almost exactly the same way.  Gee, who was the pResident that launched that FUBAR? :confused:

130 years and the progressive Dhimmi'Rat playbook hasn't changed one iota.  They're just becoming more blatant about it.  :whatever:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »
I seem to recall a certain "non-war" in southeast Asia beginning in almost exactly the same way.  Gee, who was the pResident that launched that FUBAR? :confused:

130 years and the progressive Dhimmi'Rat playbook hasn't changed one iota.  They're just becoming more blatant about it.  :whatever:

You know so far Obi_Wun has been compared to Reagan and Ike but he is way more like Johnson, and I don't mean Magic. :popcorn:

Is this his Gulf of Tonkin moment?  Can he blame McNamara, I mean Hillary?? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

Four years later, US Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara admitted to Congress that the US ships had in fact been cooperating in the South Vietnamese attacks against North Vietnam. Maddox, although aware of the operations, was not directly

No one at the dump is mentioning the uncanny resemblance that I have seen.  Of course many of them were still poopin in their red diapers at that time.  The rest chose to remain blissfully ignorant of why protestors took to the streets.   Much as they would like to spin it, it was Johnson not Nixon's war.  He broke it, he bought it, as Colin Bowel would say.

Offline namvet

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
yeah I remember that guy. in 68 he said i will not run for or seek re election as prez of your country. we jumped for joy

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »
You know so far Obi_Wun has been compared to Reagan and Ike but he is way more like Johnson, and I don't mean Magic. :popcorn:

Is this his Gulf of Tonkin moment?  Can he blame McNamara, I mean Hillary?? 

<snip>

Actually, I was remembering back to that progressive Icon, Kennedy, and his sending in covert "advisers" to that little southeast Asian shithole.

I would hope in Libya that Lord ObeyWon was following another, similar Dhimmi'Rat play run by JFK:  the Bay of Pigs.  You know, get the "rebels" all hopped up and raring to go get that evil dictator, and then not send them the support he promised.  Somehow, I don't think so, though.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
Actually, I was remembering back to that progressive Icon, Kennedy, and his sending in covert "advisers" to that little southeast Asian shithole.

I would hope in Libya that Lord ObeyWon was following another, similar Dhimmi'Rat play run by JFK:  the Bay of Pigs.  You know, get the "rebels" all hopped up and raring to go get that evil dictator, and then not send them the support he promised.  Somehow, I don't think so, though.

Did I post the dummies dissin JFK?  They had quite the round pound on him one day. 

I missed your point completely.  But, you are exactly right.   

Offline FUBO

• Official FUBO Czar
  • Probationary (Probie)
  • No New Taxers!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
Great, let's help these people now so that they can terrorize us later. Sounds like a good plan...
FUBO - Mr. President
Conservative T-Shirts

Offline namvet

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
Libya Price Tag for U.S.: $550 Million So Far, Members of Congress Express Frustration

The intervention in Libya has cost the United States $550 million through Monday, and going forward, it will cost an estimated $40 million a month as the United States reduces its role, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said today.

we simply can't afford this insanity

source

Offline USNFlyer

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Constitutional conservative patriot
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
I hope this "leak" originated within this morons administration. This might be the first card in the house to fall.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
John F. Kennedy

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!
Ronald Reagan

Offline CG6468

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »
Everything the son of a bitch does is covert.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Libya Price Tag for U.S.: $550 Million So Far, Members of Congress Express Frustration

we simply can't afford this insanity

source

That is a completely BS lowball number, the replacement cost of the Tomahawks expended so far by itself is at least half of that total.  They cut every accounting corner in the book to come out with that.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline namvet

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
That is a completely BS lowball number, the replacement cost of the Tomahawks expended so far by itself is at least half of that total.  They cut every accounting corner in the book to come out with that.

probably someone cooking the books here

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »

Who the hell believed it wouldn't escalate.  Air power wasn't going to a damn thing for that half assed sorry excuse for a bunch of rebels on the ground for a day longer than it did.  Not unless we decide to kill every truck and van on that road that looks suspicious, and then we really would be monsters.

Next, more US troops will be on the ground.  For what?  No matter how this turns out, a regime will be in place in Libya that dislikes the west and hates the United States.  I said it before, Obama should have kept his trap shut.

Oh, and I am still waiting for all of those courageous warriors from Britian, France, the Netherlands, and Canada.  Not that I'll be holding my breathe, mind you.  The President allowed himself to be baited.  His foolishness is only surpassed by his arrogance.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:35:11 PM by Vagabond »
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Tryptamine

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
This is your regular old coup. And there will be massive civilian deaths, and don't be surprised if the misfit band of rebels turn out to be the CIA.

The African Union drew up a five point map BEFORE France intervened in Libya. This, was rejected.

To feed your hate for Obama and Hillary, there is news that if Saudi Arabia voted Yes on the No Fly Zone (which no longer applies) they would cover up the messy Bahrain situation.

There are limited options for this outcome. A two state, which will be entirely impossible to uphold without NATO's and American arms deals. Or a full on coup which will be much worse than now, we'll know this by the dimming of the subject of Libya on all three news media outlets.

Also, a side note. Al Jazeera is now a friendly news station safe for your viewing. When the rebels started taking oil fields the government of Qatar opened up their markets. Qatar owns Qatar Broadcasting, which hosts Al Jazeera.

I should also add your friendly oil peddlers got a sizable amount of sweet crude, and then as if naturally in reflex, raised the price of oil.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:45:23 PM by Tryptamine »