Author Topic: New York State Police Chief Quits In Wake Of Scandal  (Read 1805 times)

Offline thundley4

New York State Police Chief Quits In Wake Of Scandal
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »

New York Gov. David Paterson (right) announces the nomination of Harry Corbitt as superintendent of the New York State Police in March 2008. Corbitt resigned abruptly on Tuesday.

"The head of the New York State Police on Tuesday announced his abrupt retirement, becoming the second public safety official to depart amid an unfolding scandal threatening Gov. David Paterson and his administration.

Harry Corbitt, who retired before and went back into service two years ago at Paterson's request, gave no reason for his departure. In February he acknowledged a state police official had contact with a woman who had accused a top aide to Gov. David Paterson of assaulting her on Halloween in New York City's Bronx borough. Soon after, the woman dropped the domestic violence complaint against the aide, David Johnson.

Corbitt's boss, Deputy Secretary for Public Safety Denise O'Donnell, resigned a week ago saying that direct contact by the governor and troopers with the woman was "unacceptable" regardless of their intent. At the time, she said Corbitt had assured her that state police were not involved in the investigation.

Paterson refused to comment when asked whether he had asked Corbitt to step down.

"I think that we'll move forward now and we will look to see who will be the best person to lead the state police," Paterson told reporters. "I think he worked very hard and he was helpful at this period." NPR

This may not be important, now, but I think Paterson will be stepping down soon.  Since he was under pressure from Lord Zero not to run for reelection and gave in, I think his stepping down is next.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: New York State Police Chief Quits In Wake Of Scandal
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »
Exactly, thundley.  Probably before the end of the week.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »
Crunch their goes another one under his bus
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:43:27 AM »
This kind of shit is only a 'Scandal' in the NY Democrackpot Party when they want you to go, or be the scapegoat for all the other bullshit they're pulling.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
This kind of shit is only a 'Scandal' in the NY Democrackpot Party when they want you to go, or be the scapegoat for all the other bullshit they're pulling.

I hear that Gillibrand is saying that Paterson should step down.