Author Topic: Feds push for tracking cell phones  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: Feds push for tracking cell phones
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
If I understand correctly "they" know how to turn on a cellphone and listen without alerting the owner. And lets not forget the FBI wants to know every website we visit.

Yeah, there is a youtube video out that shows how they can listen in through your phone without you being on a call.  It is some scary shit.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
I am not sure this is in fact spying.  All one has to do is to turn off their cell phone when they feel they are in an area they shouldn't be in.

I have Low Jack on my car to track it if it is stolen.   It is not that people are being spied on without their knowledge, same with our PC, we leave tracks every where we go.

Throw away phones are used by the crooks, $8.00 for the phone and a calling card for $10.00

These tracking divices on a cell phone have saved many lives, lost people found and the body's of loved ones.

More then one way to look at this problem.

It would not be hard for cell phones to made so they can be tracked when they are off.
Lojack can just as easily be used to trace non-criminals.
Throwaway phones might be one of their next targets.
Saving lives by tracking the phones the is a good thing, keeping track of innocent citizens, is not.  Pretty big difference.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
It would not be hard for cell phones to made so they can be tracked when they are off.
Lojack can just as easily be used to trace non-criminals.
Throwaway phones might be one of their next targets.
Saving lives by tracking the phones the is a good thing, keeping track of innocent citizens, is not.  Pretty big difference.

"Those who would give up essential liberties to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »
Yeah, there is a youtube video out that shows how they can listen in through your phone without you being on a call.  It is some scary shit.

KC

PLEASE send a link for the you tube site.

Now that you got me all paranoid and thinking outside the box.

Some friends and family have given up on land lines and have house cell phones.   If it is possible for someone to turn on a pocket phone and listen in, can they do the same with a cell house phone.?

Why do I have the expection of privacy with a land line and not have the same with a cell phone.?

Before the cell phones some people had car phones that could occasionally be picked up on a police scanner, my kids spent many a happy snowed in day listening to conversations that they had no business listening to.  Is this the same idea.?

I could use some help here, after a visit from a bad sheep relative I found both my cell phones would not charge or work in any way. someone asked me if they still had a chip in them ?????   What kind of chip and where do I look for it.?

One of those pesky questions that haunt us all, how come some kids are way to stupid to pass a GED test but can hack into someones PC, set up a DVD to stand on its head for you, wire up a programable thermostat to the furnace, knows how to text on a cell, hook up soft ware to the PC and when YOU your self crash everything they come over, give up an uppity look and fix the problem in less then 2 minutes.?

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »
I think this will end up in the laps of the Supremes. You know...the ones 0Bama pissed off with his SOTU dig? I wonder how THAT judgment will turn out.

:uhsure:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »

[youtube=425,350]uCyKcoDaofg[/youtube]

There ya go.

KC

*Stolen

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »

Now that you got me all paranoid and thinking outside the box.

Here is one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i7vXSazuFc

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 01:32:53 PM »
and another:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G1fNjK9SXg[/youtube]

::wonders when Vesta will learn to use a search engine?? ::
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »
The FBI can listen in to what your doing when the phone is supposed to be OFF. That should freak people out. :p

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
The FBI can listen in to what your doing when the phone is supposed to be OFF. That should freak people out. :p

That's because when a cell phone is off, it's still communicating to cell phone towers. Otherwise, why would the battery run down when it's turned "off" so quickly?? (I know of internal resistance of a battery and why it runs down after a long while, but a cell phone battery should last more than a week when it's truly "off". All other batteries do.)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
That's because when a cell phone is off, it's still communicating to cell phone towers. Otherwise, why would the battery run down when it's turned "off" so quickly?? (I know of internal resistance of a battery and why it runs down after a long while, but a cell phone battery should last more than a week when it's truly "off". All other batteries do.)

I think this is true only in the last generation or two of phones (with GPS chips).......mine is four years old or so, and I can turn it off, and leave it that way for a year, and the battery is still partially charged.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »
I think this is true only in the last generation or two of phones (with GPS chips).......mine is four years old or so, and I can turn it off, and leave it that way for a year, and the battery is still partially charged.......

doc

So OFF on your phone isn't STAND BY mode.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 02:01:55 PM »
So OFF on your phone isn't STAND BY mode.

Correct.....it is "off" right now, and it is not emitting any RF at all, and will require a complete boot up and initialization before use when turned on......

Unlike more recent units, if I have voice or text messages waiting, the phone will have to be up and running for several minutes before it completes "handshaking" with the system, and downloads the stuff before giving me the notification that there are messages.......back before I retired, I had a Blackberry, and like mentioned above it would download data whether it was turned on or not.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.