Author Topic: 3 Police Officers Killed, 2 Injured In Pittsburgh Shooting  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Re: 3 Police Officers Killed, 2 Injured In Pittsburgh Shooting
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
The guy was no saint and I don't condone his actions. The 1st reports said the police were there earlier on a DV complaint. They had been there several times for various complaints. One on the reports that I read early yesterday stated that the police were there to confiscate his guns, not make an arrest. If he was prohibited from owning guns, seize them and arrest him. If he was allowed to own guns, the Gov't doesn't have the right to take them for what ever reason they deem suitable. That's a concept that DU and their ilk subscribe to.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
The guy was no saint and I don't condone his actions. The 1st reports said the police were there earlier on a DV complaint. They had been there several times for various complaints. One on the reports that I read early yesterday stated that the police were there to confiscate his guns, not make an arrest. If he was prohibited from owning guns, seize them and arrest him. If he was allowed to own guns, the Gov't doesn't have the right to take them for what ever reason they deem suitable. That's a concept that DU and their ilk subscribe to.

I believe his dishonorable discharge from the Marines made it illegal for him to own guns.  Regardless, the police were called to the house by his mother in a 911 call.  They didn't go there with the intent to confiscate his weapons.  Now if you have another source saying that's the reason, I look forward to reading the link. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 02:34:45 PM »
So you advocate letting an obviously insane person have weapons?  That it is wrong for the cops to come get an obviously insane person's guns when they are threatening violence to innocents?  People like this guy are the ones who get more backing for gun grabbers.  Someone should have done something sooner and saved the lives of 3 cops and kept their families from being shattered by a psycho.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Tucker

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
So you advocate letting an obviously insane person have weapons?  That it is wrong for the cops to come get an obviously insane person's guns when they are threatening violence to innocents?  People like this guy are the ones who get more backing for gun grabbers.  Someone should have done something sooner and saved the lives of 3 cops and kept their families from being shattered by a psycho.

Up until the point of conflict yesterday, when was he judged insane?
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
Fight over urinating dog got police to Pa. ambush

PITTSBURGH — A 911 call that brought two police officers to a home where they were ambushed, and where a third was also later killed during a four-hour siege, was precipitated by a fight between the gunman and his mother over a dog urinating in the house.

The Saturday argument between Margaret and Richard Poplawski escalated to the point that she threatened to kick him out and she called police to do it, according to a 12-page criminal complaint and affidavit filed late Saturday.

When officers Paul Sciullo III and Stephen Mayhle arrived, Margaret Poplawski opened the door and told them to come in and take her 23-year-old son, apparently unaware he was standing behind her with a rifle, the affidavit said. Hearing gunshots, she spun around to see her son with the gun and ran to the basement.

“What the hell have you done?” she shouted.

-snip-
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Tucker

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
Fight over urinating dog got police to Pa. ambush

PITTSBURGH — A 911 call that brought two police officers to a home where they were ambushed, and where a third was also later killed during a four-hour siege, was precipitated by a fight between the gunman and his mother over a dog urinating in the house.

The Saturday argument between Margaret and Richard Poplawski escalated to the point that she threatened to kick him out and she called police to do it, according to a 12-page criminal complaint and affidavit filed late Saturday.

When officers Paul Sciullo III and Stephen Mayhle arrived, Margaret Poplawski opened the door and told them to come in and take her 23-year-old son, apparently unaware he was standing behind her with a rifle, the affidavit said. Hearing gunshots, she spun around to see her son with the gun and ran to the basement.

“What the hell have you done?” she shouted.

-snip-

More light to the story 24 hours later.

The police were answering a DV call. One of the things that the police do is confiscate the guns. It doesn't matter if the charge is valid or not. They were going to take his guns. That's SOP. I've been there. After the charges were proven false, I had to fight like hell to get my guns back. The attitude of the police is "we have them now, we're keeping them".

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 03:07:12 PM »
More light to the story 24 hours later.

The police were answering a DV call. One of the things that the police do is confiscate the guns. It doesn't matter if the charge is valid or not. They were going to take his guns. That's SOP. I've been there. After the charges were proven false, I had to fight like hell to get my guns back. The attitude of the police is "we have them now, we're keeping them".

If he had a dishonorably discharge from the military, then doesn't that restrict his right to gun ownership?  So if they did take his guns, wouldn't that have been within the up and up?  It's not like they just randomly chose to go to this guy's house after all. 

It sounds like you're conflating your situation with the police and this guy. 
Stink Eye

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »

If he had a dishonorably discharge from the military, then doesn't that restrict his right to gun ownership?  So if they did take his guns, wouldn't that have been within the up and up?  It's not like they just randomly chose to go to this guy's house after all. 

It sounds like you're conflating your situation with the police and this guy. 

Yes, it does.  To get a DD, one has to have been convicted by a General court-martial, the most severe of the three court-martial levels.  It is, in effect, a federal felony conviction.  Federal law prohibits firearm ownership of anyone given a DD, and depending on the state, forfeiture of their right to vote.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Tucker

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
I posted this earlier. I guess you missed it.

If he was prohibited from owning guns, seize them and arrest him. If he was allowed to own guns, the Gov't doesn't have the right to take them for what ever reason they deem suitable. That's a concept that DU and their ilk subscribe to.

I have read he was discharged from the Marine Corp., but I didn't read what kind it was. Where did you read a DD. I heard mention of a BCD and that does not automatically ban gun ownrship.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

I have read he was discharged from the Marine Corp., but I didn't read what kind it was. Where did you read a DD. I heard mention of a BCD and that does not automatically ban gun ownrship.

I don't know if it's known for sure if he was dishonorably discharged (which is why I said "if").  BUT this has been reported
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/19096134/detail.html

"Poplawski's mother said her son enlisted with the U.S. Marine Corps a few years ago but was discharged for assaulting a drill sergeant in basic training. Since his discharge, Poplawski's mother said her son had been stockpiling weapons, according to the criminal complaint.

"He wasn't fully a Marine. He got a dishonorable discharge out of boot camp," Perkovic said. "He wanted to get out of the Marine Corps.""

And yes, I saw your post earlier, I replied to it.  You keep talking about the police were there to confiscate his guns, when it doesn't appear and hasn't been reported that that's what happened at all. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:50:30 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »

Even if he didn't have a DD and had another type of discharge, the protection order he had put on him would also have prevented him from legally owning weapons if it were still in effect.  And also note that he had in fact been buying and selling weapons ever since his discharge from the Corps, which means he almost certainly was in violation of the protection order at some point.

Apparently the dumbass was also posting on Stormfront, which the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (incorrectly) labels as right-wing.  So while the question still hasn't been fully addressed regarding his discharge, it's pretty apparent he had no business (or legal right to) owning weapons.  PERIOD.

And you can find a cached version of his buddies (Perkovic) MySpace page (before it was altered/deleted) HERE.  You are the company you keep.

Here are a few of Perkovic's "recommended reading" lists:
DOCUMENTS I RECCOMEND YOU READ BY GOOGLE:
"Civil War II" by Tom Chittum
"The Protocols of the Elders of Zion"
"The Turner Diaries" by Dr. William Pierce
"Jewish Supremacy" by Dr. David Duke

Bottom line, he's a shitbag AND a nutbag, but that's not going to stop the gun-grabbers from trying to demonize legal gun-owners, and it's not going to stop the loopy left from trying to paint him as a "right-winger" and demonizing reasonable, rational, intelligent conservatives.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
Up until the point of conflict yesterday, when was he judged insane?

He punched his boss in the Marines.  No one who is sane would do something that stupid.  He was a conspiracy theorist like one would see in the 9/11 forum on DU.  I think you are fighting on the wrong side of this one.  NOTHING gave him the right to open fire on police officers.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 06:19:19 PM »
What little I looked at that link of Sparky's, he is anti mixing of bloodlines, and has a quote of Ariel Sharon's who he calls a zionist. Yup, one of those guys. He obviously was a nutbar, shame he wasn't judged to be sooner. Unfortunately, I think we will be seeing more and more of this, instead of less. Lots of anger in this country. Brings out teh crazy.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »
What little I looked at that link of Sparky's, he is anti mixing of bloodlines, and has a quote of Ariel Sharon's who he calls a zionist. Yup, one of those guys. He obviously was a nutbar, shame he wasn't judged to be sooner. Unfortunately, I think we will be seeing more and more of this, instead of less. Lots of anger in this country. Brings out teh crazy.

happy, I don't know that there is any more or less of this per se, but you can bet that the MSM will be playing it for every drop of blood they can get.

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
Sparky,

Not those guys! Why, newsies wouldn't have an agenda, would they? Oh yeah, I really think we will see much more of this, and the news will be playing it for all it's worth. Interpersed with the latest non-event of no consequence whatsoever to anyone in this country, some dumb story on the Palin family. Because we're all supposed to give a big hairy rat's ass what her kid is doing. I have my own kids, thank you, I'll just worry about them, MSM. Maybe if more people tried worrying about their own kids instead of someone else's, then the world might, just might, not be quite so f**ked up. As for this shooter dude, of course it now turns out he wrote a letter nearly a MONTH ago, planning on killing the people there in NY. And of course, he was nuttier than a shit house mouse, but we gotta worry that because there are crazy people out there, we shouldn't try to shoot them if they try to shoot us, we should just wait quietly and try not to bleed to death waiting on the cops to come. Makes sense to someone, I'm sure. Probably Kos, since he thinks its those damn right wingers making people kill. Hope he doesn't have to find out first hand what a dumba$$ he is. He might not like it so much, ya think?
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.