Author Topic: Coleman Edges Franken in Minnesota Senate Race (Recount very likely)  (Read 5479 times)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Coleman Edges Franken in Minnesota Senate Race (Recount very likely)
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »
I suppose stuff like this happens in every election, and we are only noticing this time because the margin is so small.

but this is just getting ridiculous.

WTF!?!?!?  Are people really that stupid that they would vote for that tool?  I am more and more amazed at the stupidity of people every day.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »
WTF!?!?!?  Are people really that stupid that they would vote for that tool?  I am more and more amazed at the stupidity of people every day.

that unstable unfunny man could be headed for the senate.  it's the voters in minnesota that have the sense of humor. :whatever:

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
that unstable unfunny man could be headed for the senate.  it's the voters in minnesota that have the sense of humor. :whatever:

What's in the water up there?

We might as well save the money of running an election, if the will of the people isn't followed and the voting is rigged as in some 3rd world country. The dems will get their veto proof majority no matter how dirty.  :whatever: :banghead:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

We might as well save the money of running an election, if the will of the people isn't followed and the voting is rigged as in some 3rd world country. The dems will get their veto proof majority no matter how dirty.  :whatever: :banghead:

I feel better about the convict in alaska than either coleman or chambliss.  both would win in a fair fight, but chambliss is going to get buried beneath a tsunami of dem money to try to dump him.

I still think that Sarah should run in the special election that will take place when the senate expels stevens.  that would set her up nicely for 2012.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 09:53:08 PM »

I have no idea.... this state is certifiable.

Unfortunately, (as far as the fillibuster proof majority goes) I think they already have it with McCain etal.

There was one county that found ballots that contained 100 votes for Franken AND for Obama! That means that everyone on those ballots voted for BOTH Franken and Obama....

Not a statistician, but what is the likelihood? Come on.  :lmao:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57:54 PM »

Unfortunately, (as far as the fillibuster proof majority goes) I think they already have it with McCain etal.

There was one county that found ballots that contained 100 votes for Franken AND for Obama! That means that everyone on those ballots voted for BOTH Franken and Obama....

the recount is going to be a mess.  fortunately, minnesota has really comprehensive recount guidelines (I posted them upstream in this thread), but they will argue over every stray mark on every ballot to "discern the intent" of the voter, I am sure.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »

Unfortunately, (as far as the filibuster proof majority goes) I think they already have it with McCain et al.

It's fairly possible IF those 100 ballots were from the idiots that voted a straight Dem ticket, which is likely in some counties. I do suspect that there will be enough ballots found that will put Franken-idiot over the top.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2008, 10:38:10 PM »
It's fairly possible IF those 100 ballots were from the idiots that voted a straight Dem ticket, which is likely in some counties. I do suspect that there will be enough ballots found that will put Franken-idiot over the top.

I am afraid that I agree with you.  jeez, thor, will minnesota be proud to put the first certifiable lunatic in the senate?

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

With an optical scanner system, this whole idea of finding ballots that have not been counted, is whack.

You fill in the little circles, then you take your paper ballot to the scanner, run it through with the election judge right there... you leave. Everyone who votes, feeds the scanner with one ballot. The results are transmitted to the Secy of State.

What am I missing?
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 10:46:45 PM »
With an optical scanner system, this whole idea of finding ballots that have not been counted, is whack.

You fill in the little circles, then you take your paper ballot to the scanner, run it through with the election judge right there... you leave. Everyone who votes, feeds the scanner with one ballot. The results are transmitted to the Secy of State.

What am I missing?

oh, wait.  so you run it through, and see that your vote registered as you wished?

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »
oh, wait.  so you run it through, and see that your vote registered as you wished?

If it can't read the ballot, it kicks it out. Otherwise, I think you can assume that your ballot was properly counted

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 10:55:40 PM »
If it can't read the ballot, it kicks it out. Otherwise, I think you can assume that your ballot was properly counted
what I am asking is whether you KNOW that your vote was registered as desired before you leave the polling place.  that would tend to take the air out of the "discern the intent of the voter" exercise that I am sure that the franken forces will use to it's fullest.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »
what I am asking is whether you KNOW that your vote was registered as desired before you leave the polling place.  that would tend to take the air out of the "discern the intent of the voter" exercise that I am sure that the franken forces will use to it's fullest.

No, I don't ever see the results of my vote after it has gone through the machine.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 11:02:26 PM »
No, I don't ever see the results of my vote after it has gone through the machine.

oh.  ugh.  this will stretch on until january then.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »
No, the electronic scanners don't verify one's votes before accepting them......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 11:30:31 PM »
No, the electronic scanners don't verify one's votes before accepting them......

then we're screwed.  they will count votes until they get the answer that they want, a la gregoire and rossi in washington.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
then we're screwed.  they will count votes until they get the answer that they want, a la gregoire and rossi in washington.

.... and you are proven true!  :banghead:
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 02:24:05 AM »
I am afraid that I agree with you.  jeez, thor, will minnesota be proud to put the first certifiable lunatic in the senate?

Certifiable lunatics are people too.