Author Topic: U.S. Teen Arrested In Plane Hijack Plot  (Read 5355 times)

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
U.S. Teen Arrested In Plane Hijack Plot
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »
Cops: 16-Year-Old Boy Found With Handcuffs, Rope And Duct Tape Aboard Flight May Be Suicidal

NASHVILLE, Tenn., Jan. 25, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FBI has not determined if the boy was trying to crash the plane. He said authorities searched the teen's home in California and found a mock cockpit.

Authorities believe a teen accused of plotting to hijack a plane was suicidal, and a judge was scheduled to decide Friday whether to keep him in custody.

The 16-year-old, who has not been identified by authorities, was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight Tuesday night at Nashville International Airport. He was being held at a juvenile detention facility.

FBI spokesman George Bolds told The Associated Press the teen had handcuffs, rope and duct tape in his bag, and was believed to be traveling alone.

"His plan had a low probability of success," Bolds said.

The teen was calm during the flight from Los Angeles and made no apparent attempt to commandeer the plane, Bolds said. He could not comment further on the teen's mental condition because he is a minor.

Authorities searched the boy's home in California and found a mock cockpit, he said.

The tip to police likely came from his parents; he supposedly used his mother's credit card to buy the airline ticket, reports CBS affiliate WTVF-TV in Nashville. Sources said he may have made similar threats to do something like this in the past.

Juvenile Court Administrator Tim Adgent said a hearing scheduled Friday afternoon would determine whether the teen should remain in custody or "if there other avenues for his release."

A message left with the juvenile public defender's office was not immediately returned.

The boy is currently facing only state charges. Nashville District Attorney General spokeswoman Susan Niland would not release the nature of the charges because the suspect is a minor.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/25/national/main3751312.shtml

WTF?  :banghead:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: U.S. Teen Arrested In Plane Hijack Plot
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
I heard this last night and forgot about it.  What kind of loser parent doesn't notice A MOCK COCKPIT in their home?  Don't get me started on the Hannah Montana concert.  I hope they throw the book at him.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »
Cops: 16-Year-Old Boy Found With Handcuffs, Rope And Duct Tape Aboard Flight May Be Suicidal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FBI has not determined if the boy was trying to crash the plane. He said authorities searched the teen's home in California and found a mock cockpit.

Authorities believe a teen accused of plotting to hijack a plane was suicidal, and a judge was scheduled to decide Friday whether to keep him in custody.

The 16-year-old, who has not been identified by authorities, was removed from a Southwest Airlines flight Tuesday night at Nashville International Airport. He was being held at a juvenile detention facility.

FBI spokesman George Bolds told The Associated Press the teen had handcuffs, rope and duct tape in his bag, and was believed to be traveling alone.

The teen was calm during the flight from Los Angeles and made no apparent attempt to commandeer the plane, Bolds said. He could not comment further on the teen's mental condition because he is a minor.

Authorities searched the boy's home in California and found a mock cockpit, he said.

The tip to police likely came from his parents; he supposedly used his mother's credit card to buy the airline ticket, reports CBS affiliate WTVF-TV in Nashville. Sources said he may have made similar threats to do something like this in the past.

Juvenile Court Administrator Tim Adgent said a hearing scheduled Friday afternoon would determine whether the teen should remain in custody or "if there other avenues for his release."

A message left with the juvenile public defender's office was not immediately returned.

The boy is currently facing only state charges. Nashville District Attorney General spokeswoman Susan Niland would not release the nature of the charges because the suspect is a minor.

Ava has a boyfriend now?
To think, a few short years ago Ava was just a little portly snot-nosed brat making "Hate The Troops" Flash movies.
Now her boyfriend is emulating the terrorists they admire.

Folks, this is the behavior of moonbat children.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

Ava has a boyfriend now?
To think, a few short years ago Ava was just a little portly snot-nosed brat making "Hate The Troops" Flash movies.
Now her boyfriend is emulating the terrorists they admire.

Folks, this is the behavior of moonbat children.

LOL! I forgot about Ava, what she up to now?

on edit: stupid quote tags.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:47:40 PM by SilverOrchid »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
I fly a lot and usually in first class.  I assure you this would have been suicide all right.  Once he tried to get near the cockpit the 1st class passengers would have pounded him to death.

Even after all these years, people are pretty wary.

But FWWIW, all commercial planes have locking doors and they block the entry when the flgith crew need to use the restroom.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »
I don't think Southwest has a first class.  They are the public transporation of the airline industry.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:24:41 PM »
I don't think Southwest has a first class.  They are the public transporation of the airline industry.
Then the masses would have beaten him to death. SW has a lot of frequent fliers and they know the score.  The Group A (and the new Business Traveler group) ones that don't get the exit row usually prefer to sit near the front and in the aisle seats.

And they still lock the door and block it for restroom breaks.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
What kind of loser parent doesn't notice A MOCK COCKPIT in their home? 

Maybe they thought it was for auto shop class at school.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Flame

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:27:43 AM »

they don't have 1st class, but the do have armed pilots (if the pilots choose to be)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »
they don't have 1st class, but the do have armed pilots (if the pilots choose to be)

Really?  The last Southwest pilot I had came out and played the harmonica and told jokes for five minutes.:p

Offline Flame

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »

Really?  The last Southwest pilot I had came out and played the harmonica and told jokes for five minutes.:p

yep....my brother is the biggest jokester out there, and he is also armed.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »

During the flight?  Wow -- that is unheard of these days.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
Naw... we were still sitting at the gate.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 03:48:25 PM »

First class for Southwest is actually inside the airplane second class is the cargo hold.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
You got the boarding pass with the 'D' on it, didn't you?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 04:09:13 PM »
I don't think of Southwest as an airline.  I think of it as a very fast bus. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »

Despite the duct tape, doesn't sound like it was a well conceived plan. Seriously, just how do parents let their kids get this far out of control? If I had a child I knew was suicidal, I'd watch him like a hawk regardless of how intrusive he thought I was being. Granted teenage boys are a nightmare (I know, I lived through 2)...they think they're invincible and spend practically every waking moment trying to prove it, but breaking an arm from falling off a dirt bike is a far cry from suicidal teens with mock cockpits and handcuffs.

Cindie

Offline vetwife

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:21 AM »
When I heard this on the news the first thing I thought of was..OMG he found out California and Nashville music scene..VERY DIFFERENT..

What people will do to get on the Grand Ole Opry....Then I took it seriously. :mental:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »
WTF??? He managed to get rope, handcuffs and duct tape onto the flight??? But I got busted for having a container of shampoo that wasn't under 3 ozs????? Way to go TSA!!!!!!  :bird: :banghead:

And yes, all pilots can carry a sidearm if they so choose. And I wouldn't screw with a SWA flight anyway.  :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:25:54 AM »
STATEMENT ON TSA WEBSITE -

January 25, 2008

On Tuesday January 22 Nashville Airport Police met Southwest Flight 284 (Los Angeles to Nashville) to apprehend a juvenile passenger on the plane for a probation violation. The Transportation Security Administration participated in the interview of the teen, as did the FBI. The youth was in possession of handcuffs, yarn, and duct tape. This case highlights the importance of integrating law enforcement and security. None of the items in his possession were prohibited.

There is no reason to believe this is more than a onetime incident.

:mental:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle