Author Topic: Senate passes bailout  (Read 6103 times)

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Senate passes bailout
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 04:28:42 PM »
So what happens when the market tanks another 2000 points after the 700 billion bailout goes through? Because that WILL happen...that is my prediction...you can't stop a correction...just delay it.
McCain lost my vote. 

McCain couldn't stop this from happening - that's why he looked like a dope late last week - he figured out that it was sign on or he might as well sign out of the race all together.  There was too much pressure to do something - even if it is the wrong thing.

BTW not voting for McCain is the same as voting for Obama, hope you can live with that.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline EaglesWings

• Just bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »
So what happens when the market tanks another 2000 points after the 700 billion bailout goes through? Because that WILL happen...that is my prediction...you can't stop a correction...just delay it.
McCain lost my vote. 

I am very disappointed that after his stance during Friday nite's debate about pork-barrel spending (earmarks) that he turns around and votes for a bill that is decorated like a Christmas tree ($150 billion more of earmarks).  So what is the deal?  I would love to see a politician who was not afraid to stand on principle--no matter what the cost.  McCain still has my vote even though I am disappointed.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
Hey now guys, that $6M to manufacture wooden arrows that got in there, that could be a good thing.

I note with interest that they did not include a grant to manufacture pitchforks, TORCHES, TAR, AND MOTHER****IN' FEATHERS as well, now did they...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

McCain couldn't stop this from happening - that's why he looked like a dope late last week - he figured out that it was sign on or he might as well sign out of the race all together.  There was too much pressure to do something - even if it is the wrong thing.

BTW not voting for McCain is the same as voting for Obama, hope you can live with that.
McCain was one of the first to endorse it...he took credit for getting the republicans on board (which he failed to do)
And at this point...there really is no big difference between the two..they are both liberals.
As a conservative, I couldn't live with myself if I DID vote for him.  Hell, I'm even ashamed of voting for Bush, and he's the biggest supporter in all of this.
In 4 years..hopefully, we will have a candidate that REALLY represents the conservative vote.

Unless Sarah makes a stand against this bill, tonight.  I stand proud of my decision.  I will still vote for my local reps...after I found out how they voted for this bill.  The republican senator of my state voted For the bill, and the democratic senator voted Against it.  Florida.  

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

McCain was one of the first to endorse it...he took credit for getting the republicans on board (which he failed to do)
And at this point...there really is no big difference between the two..they are both liberals.
As a conservative, I couldn't live with myself if I DID vote for him.  Hell, I'm even ashamed of voting for Bush, and he's the biggest supporter in all of this.
In 4 years..hopefully, we will have a candidate that REALLY represents the conservative vote.

Unless Sarah makes a stand against this bill, tonight.  I stand proud of my decision.  I will still vote for my local reps...after I found out how they voted for this bill.  The republican senator of my state voted For the bill, and the democratic senator voted Against it.  Florida.  

Palin has to side with McLame and if Obama is elected nothing any of us do in 4 years will matter.  The bailout is bad, McCain ain't great, but Obama is a train wreck. Imagine the President of the United States going to Iran while their nuke program goes full speed ahead.  Russia retaking the eastern bloc states.  Now add tax increases the likes of which we've never before seen and tell me what your local reps are going to matter.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline apeanut99

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

Palin has to side with McLame and if Obama is elected nothing any of us do in 4 years will matter.  The bailout is bad, McCain ain't great, but Obama is a train wreck. Imagine the President of the United States going to Iran while their nuke program goes full speed ahead.  Russia retaking the eastern bloc states.  Now add tax increases the likes of which we've never before seen and tell me what your local reps are going to matter.

Fun times...  fun times...  You know here in NC we already have gas lines reminiscent of the 70's.  Why not have the return of the cold war as well?

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2008, 06:44:22 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

Not voting for one candidate is not the same as voting for the other.  That is what is called a non sequitur.  First of all, not everyone who can vote does vote every election.  Many of these will tend to think they are liberal because they are uninformed so they are not voting for Obama and that does not translate to a vote for McCain.

Second of all, it is up to the candidate to earn the vote.  McCainez is a great panderer but not very good at earning things.

Thirdly, some people take their vote very seriously and non-arguments like "If you don't vote for Turd Sandwich it is the same as voting for Douche Bag" just isn't very persuasive.  What would be persuasive would be an argument that is really in favor of Turd Sanwich.  For me it is still Palin even though on the road she has had to become Sarah McClone I can see enough of the original Palin in there to trust her.

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2008, 06:54:52 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

Not voting for one candidate is not the same as voting for the other. 

For me it is still Palin even though on the road she has had to become Sarah McClone I can see enough of the original Palin in there to trust her.

Too bad she's not at the top of the ticket.  If my anger wears off...or if the vote gets squashed tomorrow...I may re-consider voting for McCain..but it will be ONLY because of Palin.
I may "hold my nose" and vote for him...or maybe get drunk like Ann Coulter...this way I can say I voted when my rationality was clouded.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2008, 06:59:38 PM »
McCain lost my vote. 

Not voting for one candidate is not the same as voting for the other. 

For me it is still Palin even though on the road she has had to become Sarah McClone I can see enough of the original Palin in there to trust her.

Too bad she's not at the top of the ticket.  If my anger wears off...or if the vote gets squashed tomorrow...I may re-consider voting for McCain..but it will be ONLY because of Palin.
I may "hold my nose" and vote for him...or maybe get drunk like Ann Coulter...this way I can say I voted when my rationality was clouded.
Whatever you end up deciding, it is your vote and I respect you for that.

It took Palin to get me to think I could vote for McCainez at all and I still think I am in that general area.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lanie

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
I'm not happy about the idea of bailing out Wallstreet, but unfortunately these banks affect everybody. People went into a panic and stocks dropped when the first one didn't pass. I'm not happy about what Congress did, but I'm unsure what the alternative should have been. I don't agree with the idea of doing nothing and letting the free markets handle it all because there's been too much panic.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »
Bailout passes...and Dow plummets.
Bailout failed(last week) and the Dow rallies...

Hmmmm... :whatever:

Offline Zeus

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »

Tis an International Market. The European & Asian mkts haven't been heard from yet. Although it may not be for the best at this time a rise in the Dollar will be a sign of confidence from the mkts
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 07:25:06 PM »

it does appear as though the traders on wall street want more free money, doesn't it?

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

it does appear as though the traders on wall street want more free money, doesn't it?

700 billion is a drop in the bucket by Wall St. standards.  That's why this whole "bailout" notion is a farce.  Just another way to screw the taxpayers.  Good thing we have brilliant economists serving in the US senate and house....oh wait. :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »
Tis an International Market. The European & Asian mkts haven't been heard from yet. Although it may not be for the best at this time a rise in the Dollar will be a sign of confidence from the mkts

That's the part of this "Bailout" that is sooooo wrong.  This $700 Billion is not limited to the AMERICAN firms that were circling the drain due to their on bad management and congressional demagoguery.  This wonderful new cure-all law makes bailout money available for mis-managed mega-corporations AROUND THE ****ING WORLD.  You know, the ones that are too stupid to manage their finances the way the average human being would have to, but are "too ****ing big" to be allowed to fail.

Welcome to the Brave New World, my fellow sheeple.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.