Author Topic: Frontline Blogger Covers War in Iraq With a Soldier’s Eyes  (Read 2401 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Michael Yon was not a journalist, and he wasn’t sure what a blogger was. He had been in uniform but not in combat, and he wanted to keep it that way. He went to Iraq thinking he would stay for a month, and maybe find a way to write about the war after he got home.

Instead, he has spent most of the last three years in Iraq, writing prolifically and graphically, and racking up more time embedded with combat units than any other journalist, according to the United States military. He has been shot at, buffeted by explosions and seen more people maimed — fighters and civilians, adults and children — than he can count.

“The easiest thing in the world to write about is combat, because all the drama is there,” said Mr. Yon, a fit, ruddy-faced 43-year-old who was a Special Forces soldier more than two decades ago. He insists that he still does not really know the rules of journalism, but says he has recently, grudgingly, accepted that he has become a journalist.

His detailed, mostly admiring accounts of front-line soldiers’ daily work have won him a loyal following, especially among service members and journalists and bloggers who follow the war. One of his photographs showing an American soldier cradling an Iraqi girl injured in a car bombing (the girl later died) appeared on Time magazine’s Web site and was later voted one of top images of the year by visitors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/21/business/21iraqblogger.html?ex=1201496400&en=20eee3bc992ccff4&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Frontline Blogger Covers War in Iraq With a Soldier’s Eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
After reading the story, it seemed fairly decent and balanced.

Even the NY Slimes can get it right.  Not often, but once in a while.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
I've checked out his site. I liked it.
He seemed to be pretty straight forward, no bullshit in his writing. If the troops thought something was bullshit he said so. If he thought most of the media were full of shit he said so.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/category/danger-close/

The site looks different than I remember. I'm not sure if it's the same guy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
http://michaelyon-online.com/wp/category/danger-close/

The site looks different than I remember. I'm not sure if it's the same guy.

It's the same person.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks CH...the name did sound familiar.