Author Topic: Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide (updated 1/22 at 1215)  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide (updated 1/22 at 1215)
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide
'There Were Bodies Falling Out of the Sky' -- at Least 5 Dead As Planes Collide Over California

Investigators picked through the gnarled wreckage Monday of two small planes that collided about a mile from an airport, killing five and raining debris and bodies down on car dealership parking lots.

The two small Cessnas crashed at 3:35 p.m. Sunday near the small Corona Municipal Airport, just north of the Riverside Freeway, authorities said.

Two people were killed from each plane, and a fifth was killed inside a Chevy dealership hit by wreckage, said Wayne Pollack of the National Transportation Safety Board.

"There were bodies falling out of the sky," eyewitness Hector Hernandez told KCBS-TV. "One of them crashed into the top of a Ford Mustang, and another one fell not too far behind that one on the parking lot."

NTSB investigators had yet to cut all the way through the wreckage of one of the planes, and were unsure about the number of passengers.

"Until we open that aircraft up we cannot be certain how many people were on board," Pollack said.

The smashed fuselage of one of the planes landed atop a parked car. A wing from one of the planes sat in a parking lot. The debris was contained mostly within a 300-yard radius, said Pollack, although some pieces were found as far as 1,000 yards away.

"The smaller aircraft ... just disintegrated into pieces, maybe fifty pieces coming down," eyewitness Jeff Hardin told KABC-TV. "The other aircraft pretty much stayed intact and started spiraling down and came down right behind the Nissan dealer."

One of the planes, a Cessna 172, is registered to William A. Reinke of La Habra, Calif, according to aircraft databases. Reached at his home Sunday night, Reinke declined to say who was flying his plane or who might have been on board.

Story

how freaking horrible is that? :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:16:48 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Flame

Re: Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
How horrible!!  Both for the people on the planes and the witnesses.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:55:19 PM »
A guy I went to HS with is a flight instructor working out of Corona.  Obviously it's a pretty good chance it isn't him but I'm not breathing until I find out otherwise.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:56:07 PM »
Obviously a horrible tragedy, but from the picture posted by WE, it could've been worse.  That looks like a busy street next to the dealership.  Then again, might just be a bunch of gawkers.  Still, better a bunch of empty cars than where a lot of people are.

Offline djones520

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »
One of the planes, a Cessna 172, is registered to William A. Reinke of La Habra, Calif, according to aircraft databases. Reached at his home Sunday night, Reinke declined to say who was flying his plane or who might have been on board.

This part of the story pisses me off.  I think it's safe to assume that the authorities have not yet released the identity of those dead, since they haven't even got a firm number on how many died yet.

But no...  the media leeches found a way to find out.  What if it had been William who had been flying that aircraft.  His wife, or kids would have found out about him dying from some reporter who doesn't give a damn about anything but their story.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide (updated 1/22 at 1215)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
Sun is a suspect in plane crash

Federal investigators are trying to determine how the pilots of two small planes failed to see each other before colliding over Corona on a clear Sunday afternoon, leaving five dead and showering wreckage over a busy auto mall.

Veteran pilots said the skies above Corona and the Inland Empire are typically congested on weekends, often with student pilots and instructors, and the local airport has no air traffic control tower -- meaning those in the sky must be vigilant and look out for other airplanes.

Patrick Crask, 41, who routinely flies out of Corona, said he had planned a flight Sunday but decided against it because the sun was so bright he worried about visibility on takeoff.

"The sun can often be almost unbearable," the Corona resident said. "If you were to come here at around 4 p.m., the sun is blinding for a good two minutes. You need to take extra precautions."

Inspectors with the National Transportation Safety Board said they were investigating whether the afternoon sun played a role in the 3:35 p.m. collision.

Both of the planes -- a Cessna 172 and a Cessna 150 -- appeared to have sustained damage to their midsections, and the wings of one plane ripped off, ejecting both pilot and passenger. Authorities said two people aboard each plane died in the crash and a fifth person, a man sitting in an office at a Chevrolet dealership, was killed when debris slammed through the building's roof.

The two Cessnas collided about a mile from the small Corona Municipal Airport, just north of the Riverside Freeway, said Wayne Pollack, an NTSB investigator.

Debris scattered as far as 1,000 yards from the main crash site, and the fuselage of one plane landed on a parked car. Corona police said one bystander sprained his wrist while fleeing a building that was hit by wreckage.

Both pilots in Sunday's crash were licensed and had experience navigating the skies around Corona, according to the owner of one of the planes.

More

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
Bodies Fall Out of Sky As Planes Collide
'There Were Bodies Falling Out of the Sky' -- at Least 5 Dead As Planes Collide Over California

"There were bodies falling out of the sky," eyewitness Hector Hernandez told KCBS-TV. "One of them crashed into the top of a Ford Mustang, and another one fell not too far behind that one on the parking lot."

Story

how freaking horrible is that? :o

Hi - Hi! We're your Weather Girls - Ah-huh -
And have we got news for you - You better listen!
Get ready, all you lonely girls
and leave those umbrellas at home. - Alright! -

Humidity is rising - Barometer's getting low
According to all sources, the street's the place to go
Cause tonight for the first time
Just about half-past ten
For the first time in history
It's gonna start raining men.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

Crass I know but I have nothing positive to contribute to this thread.  :o

►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »
Damn, I didn't even hear about this here.