Author Topic: McCain Defeats Huckabee, Rest of Pack in South Carolina Republican Primary  (Read 12102 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
McCain Defeats Huckabee, Rest of Pack in South Carolina Republican Primary

John McCain took the early lead in the South Carolina primary Saturday, and never lost it.

With 91 percent of precincts reporting, McCain had 33 percent and Mike Huckabee, 30 percent. Fred Thompson had 16 percent, Mitt Romney had 15 percent. Ron Paul was polling at 4 percent and Rudy Giuliani at 2 percent. Duncan Hunter, fairing poorly in both Nevada and South Carolina on Saturday, was returning to San Diego and planned to drop out, FOX News learned.

A win for McCain could be a big boost going into the Florida primary Jan. 29 and Super Tuesday Feb. 5, when 24 states hold a variety of primaries and caucuses for both parties. There has been no breakaway front-runner in the GOP race — Huckabee won the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses, while McCain won the Jan. 8 New Hampshire primary. Romney won lower profile contests in Wyoming, Michigan and Nevada, but leads the delegate count.

Partying at McCain headquarters, his supporters said they waited eight years for the victory. McCain lost a head-to-head match against George W. Bush in the state in 2000. Many of his backers also said the September report on Iraq by Gen. David Petraeus was the beginning of a turnaround they expect to take to the Republican National Convention.

Around 10 p.m. ET, Huckabee told supporters he had made the call to congratulate McCain

“I told him that I’d much rather have him call me tonight, but he was gracious just as we knew he would be,” Hucakbee said.
Story
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 08:46:36 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline Wretched Excess

he romped.  what a great win for him.  I suspect we are looking at our nominee.

Offline Wretched Excess

good God.  all things considered, McCain smoked huckleberry.

Offline Lord Undies

good God.  all things considered, McCain smoked huckleberry.

Did you get a load of that Yahoo link MattressBoy provided up above?  The candidate's representative photo beside the name?  All the democrats look like million-dollar publicity photos while the Republicans look like mugshots.  Leave it to Yahoo.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
No matter who the Republican nominee is for president, I hope he considers Duncan Hunter for the second spot.

Duncan Hunter is a class act, and a good man.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

No matter who the Republican nominee is for president, I hope he considers Duncan Hunter for the second spot.

if obama is nominated, we need michael steele.

on edit : as our veep.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.

Not a bad idea sir. If all went well he could use the VP spot to launch himself into the POTUS slot in 2016.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Looks like McCain will be the Republican nomination. However, anything can happen between now and the RNC convention.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Zeus

One primary win does not a nominee make. So far the primary votes are rather evenly spread on the Republican side. Could be heading into a brokered convention ???

First one in 60 yrs for the Republicans.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:42:48 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline JohnMatrix

Re: McCain Defeats Huckabee, Rest of Pack in South Carolina Republican Primary
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:55 AM »
So what's fred going to do now?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
No brokered convention, and Fred is going to drop out early next week. It's a Romney/McCain race now.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 05:48:37 AM »
Lemme guess--you got that info from the same person who said Fred was going to drop out after Iowa too, right?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
I see absolutely no reason to be annointing McCain at this point.  Looks like it's still totally up in the air between him and Romney, it's even possible Rudy can come back into it when his strength states kick in.  I never thought Huckabee could go the distance, but when he eventually decides he is toast, he is in somewhat of a kingmaker position.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 11:06:58 AM »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
That pic of L. Ron looks like someone just shoved an ice cube up his ass.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 01:42:30 PM »
Where did Hunter get a delegate from?

Offline Zeus

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Currently 24 states are scheduled to hold caucuses or primary elections on Super Tuesday, 2008. Blue denotes Democratic-only caucuses (3), Red denotes Republican-only state conventions (2), and Purple represents states holding elections for both parties (19).
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
If McCain is the nominee I will give serious thought to staying home on election day. I hate to say it but it's true. As far as I am concerned McCain has betrayed the trust conservatives have shown him.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Zeus

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
If McCain is the nominee I will give serious thought to staying home on election day. I hate to say it but it's true. As far as I am concerned McCain has betrayed the trust conservatives have shown him.

That's a problem with open primaries. So called Independents can sabotage the process.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »
Nevada was a closed primary.  Try explaining the Ronulans there--party jumpers, or just a bunch of easily-led idiots?

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:54 PM »
This election is shaping up to be a repeat of 92. My suggestion to one and all is to invest heavily in canned foods and shotguns.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
God help us all.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 04:07:58 PM »
All those pictures theSarge posted freak me out.

Lemme guess--you got that info from the same person who said Fred was going to drop out after Iowa too, right?

I have no idea if you're asking me or someone else, but, yes, he's going to drop out because he went home and now if off to see his sick mother. If he was going to stay in, he'd gone straight down to Florida.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
Nevada was a closed primary.  Try explaining the Ronulans there--party jumpers, or just a bunch of easily-led idiots?

Basically everyone except Romney ignored nevada. Even Romney only spent a couple hrs there. Then there is always the free drinks while gambling effect  :lmao: