Author Topic: Grandma makes royal fudge brownies  (Read 740 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Grandma makes royal fudge brownies
« on: July 27, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x67316

Oh my.

Grandma:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jul-26-09 10:49 PM
Original message

King Arthur Fudge Brownies 

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/fudge-brownies-r...

Just took these out of the oven, waited the 5 minutes instructed to run a knife around the edges, and a little corner tore off. I will never make another brownie recipe again, ever.

I left out the chocolate chips and swirled with really creamy unsweetened peanut butter coz I was originally going to make cookies but I didn't have the time or energy to do cookies tonight and Bill aleady had his taste buds set for peanut butter cookies in his lunch.

These are gonna be awesome! Oh, yeah!

elleng  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jul-26-09 11:51 PM
Response to Original message

1. SO the 'little corner' was good, eh?

You WILL report about Bill's reaction ? ? ?

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-27-09 10:28 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. Morning, Ellen.

We'll see. They are packed in his lunch today so he hasn't tasted them yet. I have some in my lunch for later, too.

Some of the things I really liked about this recipe is that it didn't flatten all over, it rose and stayed there. It also didn't sink in the middle. I did have to bake it longer than the recipe suggested but that could be my oven, or the fact that my pizza stone is on the shelf below. I'm finding that keeping it in the oven does cause underbaking on some things. You wouldn't think so, but it has been my repeated experience.

I'll report back later today. Have a good one!

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-27-09 11:56 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. I haven't tried that recipe (have the book). I like my brownies fudgy/chewy.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-27-09 12:05 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Okay, I just ate one of the ones in my lunch for my mid-morning snack.  They are very good and they are dark and fudgy tasting my they are cakey rather than chewy, as you would imagine with four eggs in it. Now that I think on it, it was supposed to have a shiny, crinkly top but it didn't. I imagine that was because I swirled the peanut butter through the top.

You might want to try it with one or two fewer eggs but I can't speak to what the structural results would be, but I'm thinking it would be even fudgier and chewier that way.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jul-27-09 07:13 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. Here's what they look like with the peanut butter I swirled into the top:

after which a photograph of something similar to what one gets from a box of Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines or store-brand cake mix
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Grandma makes royal fudge brownies
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
I know she is a favorite of franksolich, but I'd need to have some precautions taken before eating anything prepared by the dirty, smelly, hairy DUmmy hippywife. Like I'd expect her to wear hairnets on her head and both arms, with surgical gloves and a HEPA face mask. Then, if her kitchen had first been cleaned and disinfected by a qualified third party, I'd try her brownies.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:46:08 PM »
hhhmmmmm.... I wonder if she added herbs....

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
I know she is a favorite of franksolich, but I'd need to have some precautions taken before eating anything prepared by the dirty, smelly, hairy DUmmy hippywife. Like I'd expect her to wear hairnets on her head and both arms, with surgical gloves and a HEPA face mask. Then, if her kitchen had first been cleaned and disinfected by a qualified third party, I'd try her brownies.

Actually, when I win the Powerball, I'm going to hire Grandma to do the cooking and baking for me, in a large ivy-covered Tudor-style mansion here in the Sandhills of Nebraska, the surrounding terrain populated by bison.

Grandma can be silly, especially in her politics, her ideology, and her Hatred of God, but other than that, she strikes one as an okay person.  And of course Grandma is being doubly silly, thinking she's living life as Joe and Sadie in their sod house during the 1880s did.  But that's not life-threatening silliness.

By the way, I think Grandma works in the health field, as a nurse's aide in a small-town nursing home, or something like that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 07:56:20 PM »
I'm going to hire Grandma to do the cooking and baking for me
I think if that happens, it will be a situation where deafness is a great advantage.

Offline kenth

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »
Might have to consider a...

I can't imagine why anyone makes cake brownies. I can understand an accident. But not on purpose.   :p

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »
I can't imagine why anyone makes cake brownies. I can understand an accident. But not on purpose.

It's one of the quirks of the cooking and baking primitives.

They've elevated chocolate to the status of Divinity.

Chocolate's nice, chocolate's okay, but generally I myself classify it along with other foods and tastes of a general nature, such as vanilla or strawberry or carrot or almonds or chicken or Brussels sprouts or cherry or broccolli or milk or cheese.

It's okay, but I wouldn't make a diety out of it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »
I could use a good carrot cake

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
It's one of the quirks of the cooking and baking primitives.

They've elevated chocolate to the status of Divinity.

Chocolate's nice, chocolate's okay, but generally I myself classify it along with other foods and tastes of a general nature, such as vanilla or strawberry or carrot or almonds or chicken or Brussels sprouts or cherry or broccolli or milk or cheese.

It's okay, but I wouldn't make a diety out of it.

I don't pray to chocolate...but I do have an intense relationship with it.... :-)

Cake brownies ain't right....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 11:21:44 PM »
Cake brownies ain't right....
Cake brownies are a waste of time and resources.  Fudge brownies or nothing... :cheersmate:

I can't imagine why anyone makes cake brownies. I can understand an accident. But not on purpose.   :p
:lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »

http://blog.cooklikeyourgrandmother.com/2009/07/how-to-make-perfect-brownies.html

I'm not a fan of chocolate chips in brownies.  I would chop them up a little, or run them through a food processor after an hour in the freezer if I was going to use them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:32:31 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »
I put frozen Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped pecans in mine. May or may not squirt some Hershey's Chocolate Syrup in them....depends on what I'm making them for.

Only bake for 27 minutes at 350....they are just barely to cooked.

Then sift powdered sugar on the top when they have cooled.

No one ever complains..... :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.