Author Topic: Projection: will the GOP's Negativity Produce a Backlash?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Projection: will the GOP's Negativity Produce a Backlash?
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »
depakid  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:19 PM
Original message
Will The GOP's Negativity Produce A Backlash?
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Sat Sep-06-08 08:27 PM by depakid
Glen Greenwald's take:

After a long week in Denver and another week in Minneapolis, I'm traveling home today and thus won't have much time to post, but I wanted to follow up on the discussion that ensued yesterday in response to my post arguing that, particularly in light of the brutal personal attacks on Obama at the Convention, Democrats ought to be far more aggressively critical of McCain and the GOP generally. Many people in comments and by e-mail argued that Americans dislike negativity and that Sarah Palin's speech, in particular, would backfire on the Republicans.

The first polling data is now available on this question and it's rather conclusive. First, from SurveyUSA, yesterday:

What grade do you give on the speech? An A, B, C, D, or an F?

A - 60

B - 11

C - 11

D - 9

F - 8

On the whole, is Sarah Palin an asset to John McCain? A liability to McCain? Or, do you not know enough to say?

Asset - 55

Liability - 24

Don't know enough - 19

Does McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as a running mate reflect well on McCain? Reflect poorly on McCain? Or do you not know enough to say?

Reflects well on McCain - 55

Reflects poorly - 30

Don't know enough - 14

If you were placing a bet today, would you bet that Barack Obama will be elected president? Or, John McCain will be elected president?

Obama - 45

McCain - 48

Don't know - 7

<snip>

None of this is to say that Palin can't be turned into a liability for the Republicans. She can be. And although I can only guess like everyone else, I've thought all year that Democrats would likely win the election and still think that.

But the idea that Americans instinctively recoil from negativity or that there will be some sort of backlash against Republicans generally and Palin specifically because of how "negative" their convention speeches were is pure fantasy. Cultural tribalism and personality attacks of those sort work, especially when they're not aggressively engaged.

Every four years, the GOP unleashes unrestrained personality attacks on Democrats and exploits cultural resentments. Every four years, Democrats tell themselves that such attacks don't work and are counter-productive. And every four years, that belief is disproven. These "character" issues end up mattering largely because Democrats, in election after election, allow wars over "character" to be waged in a largely one-sided fashion.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/09/06-3

deutsey (1000+ posts)       Sat Sep-06-08 08:25 PM
Response to Original message
1. Each election, the Democrats gear up for a strenuous game of hockey
 The Republicans, on the other hand, gear up for vicious, deadly combat.
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
 sfwriter  (846 posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:32 PM
Response to Reply #1
2. Yup, knives at the gunfight...

fiziwig  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:38 PM
3. I am reminded of the Tibetan army
 armed with bows and arrows trying to hold back the Chinese army in 1949.

Still, the Democrats always line up with their bows and arrows and wait to be mowed down by the AK-47's wielded by the Republicans. Will our party ever stop being so stupid?

quantessd  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:42 PM
Response to Reply #3
4. At least Dems are showing some self esteem this campaign.
 There is marked improvement since 2004.

Link

:lmao:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Projection: will the GOP's Negativity Produce a Backlash?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »
Many people in comments and by e-mail argued that Americans dislike negativity and that Sarah Palin's speech, in particular, would backfire on the Republicans.

You mean to tell me the people who read and send e-mail to Glen Greenwald and Salon.com don't like Palin? 

I'm shocked.  No.  Really.   :whatever:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:57:34 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »
The fizzy primitive is just so stupid.

fiziwig  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:38 PM

3. I am reminded of the Tibetan army armed with bows and arrows trying to hold back the Chinese army in 1949.

Still, the Democrats always line up with their bows and arrows and wait to be mowed down by the AK-47's wielded by the Republicans. Will our party ever stop being so stupid?

The fizzy primitive must be the only one who ever saw "the Tibetan army" "trying to hold back" "the Chinese army" "in 1949."

Never happened.

Damn, the primitives make things up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 08:24:27 PM »
Loved this line:

Since when would a good republican use an AK47?  An M16, maybe.  An Uzi, most likely.   But an AK 47?

An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:26:52 PM »
Loved this line:

Since when would a good republican use an AK47?  An M16, maybe.  An Uzi, most likely.   But an AK 47?

Finest stamped gun ever made.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »
Will our party ever stop being so stupid?
No.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »
These "character" issues end up mattering largely because Democrats, in election after election, allow wars over "character" to be waged in a largely one-sided fashion.
Unfortunately for democrats, any war over "character" will always be one-sided. The fundamental premises of their party include a disdain for American history, hatred of Christianity, and a mocking, condescending attitude toward anything associated with traditional American values. Anytime there is a war over "character", they find themselves without ammunition or cover.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:14:04 AM »
After a long week in Denver and another week in Minneapolis, I'm traveling home today and thus won't have much time to post, but I wanted to follow up on the discussion that ensued yesterday in response to my post arguing that, particularly in light of the brutal personal attacks on Obama at the Convention, Democrats ought to be far more aggressively critical of McCain and the GOP generally. Many people in comments and by e-mail argued that Americans dislike negativity and that Sarah Palin's speech, in particular, would backfire on the Republicans
What the ****!!!!?
Anyone here except the PocketPoolPeyote have the time to take in order to travel to BOTH conventions???????????? I know I couldn't get close to takin' that amount of time off. Hell my clients would never forgive me, letting them cool their heels that long! Would've cost me a bundle!  :badmood:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:17:39 AM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:06:32 AM »
Well, All, its pretty easy when they don't have a job and get a monthly check from us. 
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
Loved this line:

My guess is that the good ol' AR-15 family would most likely be used, but on semiauto only.  Wastes valuable ammo on three-shot burst mode.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
Loved this line:

My guess is that the good ol' AR-15 family would most likely be used, but on semiauto only.  Wastes valuable ammo on three-shot burst mode.

In DUmmyspeak, an AR-15 or M16 is an AK47. They would call my M1100 shotgun an AK47 if I epoxied a banana clip to the bottom of the receiver. DUmmies, the world's foremost experts on gun control, always betray by their language an almost perfect ignorance of anything associated with firearms.

DUmmies and democrats remind me of a clerk I had at a Bass Pro Shop a few years ago. I was looking for reloading components. The kid was puzzled when I said I needed 165-grain .308 cal. Nosler bullets. He kept pointing me to the ammunition shelves. After I explained further, a light came on in his head, and he said, "Oh, you mean the tips!"

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
Loved this line:

In DUmmyspeak, an AR-15 or M16 is an AK47. They would call my M1100 shotgun an AK47 if I epoxied a banana clip to the bottom of the receiver.

Then the DUmb****s would be apoplectic about my Remington 742, which actually has 30-round banana clips made for it.  (I don't have any--it's just that I know of them being out there somewhere.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »
Yes it will!!  An elevn point swing in favor of the Republicans. :lmao:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »
That OP can't be serious? if anything negative is going to be said and done by the liberal left and already has. Barry the Bitch can't even handle a simple interview with Bill O'Reilly for GODs sake.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »

Yep,they were talking about the RNC giving Obama a bounce a couple of days ago.
Rasmussen has it a 46-46 tie,his are generally the most accurate.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:53 AM »

Yep,they were talking about the RNC giving Obama a bounce a couple of days ago.
Rasmussen has it a 46-46 tie,his are generally the most accurate.

Check out this article!

Poll: Convention lifts McCain over Obama
Updated 1h 54m ago | 

By Susan Page, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The Republican National Convention has given John McCain and his party a significant boost, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll taken over the weekend shows, as running mate Sarah Palin helps close an "enthusiasm gap" that has dogged the GOP all year.

McCain leads Democrat Barack Obama by 50%-46% among registered voters, the Republican's biggest advantage since January and a turnaround from the USA TODAY poll taken just before the convention opened in St. Paul. Then, he lagged by 7 percentage points.

CONVENTION: GOP rejuvenated

The convention bounce has helped not only McCain but also attitudes toward Republican congressional candidates and the GOP in general.

"The Republicans had a very successful convention and, at least initially, the selection of Sarah Palin has made a big difference," says political scientist Larry Sabato of the University of Virginia. "He's in a far better position than his people imagined he would be in at this point."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!  I think I might get a stapler thrown at me today!  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

The rest of the article is at:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-07-poll_N.htm

Chase her.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 06:56:17 AM »
Feel the backlash!
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
Yo hell with those little guns! I have a BAR at .380 cal. Wouldn't take much to make it FULL AUTO.  :libssuck:
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 10:20:45 AM »
Shows how ready I am for a weekend.   :banghead:

I figured this:

depakid  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-06-08 08:19 PM
Original message
Will The GOP's Negativity Produce A Backlash?
 Advertisements [?]Edited on Sat Sep-06-08 08:27 PM by depakid
Glen Greenwald's take:

After a long week in Denver and another week in Minneapolis, I'm traveling home today and thus won't have much time to post, but I wanted to follow up on the discussion that ensued yesterday in response to my post arguing that, particularly in light of the brutal personal attacks on Obama at the Convention, Democrats ought to be far more aggressively critical of McCain and the GOP generally. Many people in comments and by e-mail argued that Americans dislike negativity and that Sarah Palin's speech, in particular, would backfire on the Republicans.

The first polling data is now available on this question and it's rather conclusive. First, from SurveyUSA, yesterday:

What grade do you give on the speech? An A, B, C, D, or an F?

A - 60

B - 11

C - 11

D - 9

F - 8

On the whole, is Sarah Palin an asset to John McCain? A liability to McCain? Or, do you not know enough to say?

Asset - 55

Liability - 24

Don't know enough - 19

Does McCain's selection of Sarah Palin as a running mate reflect well on McCain? Reflect poorly on McCain? Or do you not know enough to say?

Reflects well on McCain - 55

Reflects poorly - 30

Don't know enough - 14

If you were placing a bet today, would you bet that Barack Obama will be elected president? Or, John McCain will be elected president?

Obama - 45

McCain - 48

Don't know - 7

was some DUmmy version of one of those scored quizzes you get in your e-mail.  You know, 5 points for every "A" you chose, 4 points for every "B", and at the end you add up all your points and the score is supposed to tell some deep dark secret about you.

So there I was, scoring myself 60 points for choosing "A" in response to the first question, 55 points for the second...

I need more coffee.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.