Author Topic: Campaign sign delivers shocking message  (Read 2474 times)

Offline thundley4

Campaign sign delivers shocking message
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:39:27 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that the dad sent the kid to steal the signs?
CHAPEL HILL — After Shawn Turschak saw two sets of McCain-Palin campaign signs disappear from his yard within hours of being planted, he took some unconventional steps to protect the latest pair.
He ran wires from his house and hooked them into a power source for an electric pet fence. Then he mounted a surveillance camera in a nearby tree and wired it to a digital recorder to identify the thieves.

Tuesday afternoon the camera saw this: A nine-year-old-year-old neighbor trotted up with an Obama-Biden sign in his hand, grabbed a handful of volts as he touched the McCain-Palin sign, then quickly ran away.

A few minutes later the boy’s father, Andrew Noble, was at Turschak’s door, demanding an explanation from Turschak’s 13-year-old daughter, who called her parents to say there was a man there yelling at her. They got home within minutes and soon received another visitor: an Orange County sheriff’s deputy. Link

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Campaign sign delivers shocking message
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:18:02 AM »
I love that idea!  If it were my kid trespassing on someone's property with the intent to destroy something I would have blistered his ass instead of calling the cops.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:31:20 AM »
I love that idea!  If it were my kid trespassing on someone's property with the intent to destroy something I would have blistered his ass instead of calling the cops.

Difference between conservatives and liberals
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
Did you watch the video of it. :rotf:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 07:09:21 AM »
Did you watch the video of it. :rotf:

I missed that the first time and had to look for it.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBcasl2b0Ug[/youtube]

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »
Why do I get the feeling that the dad sent the kid to steal the signs?

I think you're exactly right. When I was a mischievous kid doing shit like that, I could have been shot with bird shot and I wouldn't have told my dad. He would have had no sympathy for me if I was trying to destroy someone else's property.

Me and the "dad" would have had some words that would have probably escalated. What a *****. Sending his 9 Y/O to do what he wanted to do.  :censored:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Sign battle starts with a zzzzzzzt!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1274504.html

Jay Price, Staff Writer
Comment on this story

CHAPEL HILL - After Shawn Turschak saw two sets of McCain-Palin signs disappear from his yard within hours of being planted, he took steps to protect the latest pair.
On Monday, he ran wires from his house and hooked the signs into a power source for an electric pet fence. Then he mounted a surveillance camera in a nearby tree and wired it to a digital recorder.

Tuesday afternoon, the camera saw this: A neighbor trotting up with an Obama-Biden sign, grabbing a handful of volts as he touched a McCain-Palin sign, then fleeing at top 9-year-old boy speed.

A few minutes later, the boy's father, Andrew Noble, was at Turschak's door, demanding an explanation from Turschak's 13-year-old daughter, who called her parents on the phone to say a man was yelling at her. Both families agree on one aspect of the exchange, that Noble chastised her for "electrocuting" his son, then left.

The Turschaks hurried home and received another visitor: an Orange County sheriff's deputy.

Campaign signs are vandalized or stolen so often that many people don't report it, and, when they do, law officers often don't investigate.

This time was different.

The corner of the Turschak's yard where the signs are posted is a prominent point in the Oak Crest subdivision just south of Chapel Hill, so the homeowners association maintains it.

It's far enough from the Turschaks' home that it's not obviously part of their yard, and the boy's mother, Johanna Gisladottir, said she and many neighbors thought it was community property. They were troubled, she said, that someone had apparently claimed the corner on behalf of the Republican Party.

Video at the link.

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Sign battle starts with a zzzzzzzt!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
A few minutes later, the boy's father, Andrew Noble, was at Turschak's door, demanding an explanation from Turschak's 13-year-old daughter, who called her parents on the phone to say a man was yelling at her. Both families agree on one aspect of the exchange, that Noble chastised her for "electrocuting" his son, then left.

Lesson to boy's father: next time, don't make your son commit crimes that you don't have the balls to do yourself, asshole.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
The sad thing is that the "victim', Turschak, may very well be prosecuted for installing an electric fence in an urban area. Many cities have ordinances against that. I do, however, think that the kid got what he deserved and his father had NO right to address a 13 year old girl.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
It's far enough from the Turschaks' home that it's not obviously part of their yard, and the boy's mother, Johanna Gisladottir, said she and many neighbors thought it was community property. They were troubled, she said, that someone had apparently claimed the corner on behalf of the Republican Party.

She's either an Icelander or a Pagan headcase, and what kind of subdivision has "Community property?"  Every frickin' inch of them that isn't a park is platted to somebody's house.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
Some people must think that the "easement" IS community property. I noticed that mentality when I was banished to MN.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
A few minutes later the boy’s father, Andrew Noble, was at Turschak’s door, demanding an explanation...

>>>

It’s far enough from Turschak’s home that it’s not obviously part of his yard, and the boy’s mother, Johanna Gisladottir, said she and other neighbors thought it was community property. They were troubled, she said, that someone had apparently decided to claim the corner on behalf of the Republican Party.

I hate liars.  Especially stupid ones.  If it didn't "look like Turschak's yard" and "someone" had "claimed it for the Republican party," then why did the kid's dad go straight to Turschak's door?   Good grief, Johanna, if you're going to  :censored: lie, at least think it through a few minutes first.   :thatsright: 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »
Difference between conservatives and liberals

One of many. It's one thing when some liberal parent's school-age brat steals a sign, but another when a college professor is doing it:

I am a visiting professor at St. Olaf College, whose student body is ideologically balanced. I have been involved with political campaigns in the past -- phone-banking, politicking and working as a campaign manager. I even ran for mayor of Portland, Oregon once myself. But, when teaching, I try not to share my political beliefs. Earlier this term, I marked down a student's grade for wearing an Obama T-shirt when he gave a presentation about talk radio's impact on the current election. I told him that the T-shirt made his presentation look biased and detracted from his otherwise sincere analysis of Rush Limbaugh.

Sure, I understand that stealing a sign will not change anyone's mind, and, most likely, will only embolden McCain supporters' disdain for liberals. Even so, yanking out the signs and running like a scared rabbit back to my idling car was one of the single-most exhilarating and empowering political acts that I have ever done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/phil-busse/confessions-of-a-lawn-sig_b_139179.html

:mental:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »
I would have made the zapper solar/wind powered then bragged about the reduced carbon footprint.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »
Even so, yanking out the signs and running like a scared rabbit back to my idling car was one of the single-most exhilarating and empowering political acts that I have ever done.

The lib-tard mindset in a nutshell.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
Yesterday, I passed by a house that had TWO McCain/ Palin signs in it. I was TEMPTED to steal one, but only because I haven't obtained one. I even saw a really cool McCain/ Palin sign with portraits of McCain & Palin on it. I was tempted to go ask if I could have that one after the election.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
"Dad I was trying to steal that sign and I got zapped! We should sue!"
 :ohnoes:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.