Author Topic: Backfired on 'em! Georgia voting  (Read 365 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Backfired on 'em! Georgia voting
« on: May 22, 2022, 09:50:08 AM »
This thread is just so full of both stupid and win I had to bring it over.

cilla4progress (19,315 posts)                                                                                      Sat May 21, 2022, 04:52 PM

Backfired on 'em! Georgia voting

Voting is surging in Georgia despite controversial new election law

GRIFFIN, Ga. — When the Spalding County Board of Elections eliminated early voting on Sundays, Democrats blamed a new state law and accused the Republican-controlled board of intentionally thwarting “Souls to the Polls,” a get-out-the-vote program among Black churches to urge their congregations to cast ballots after religious services.

But after three weeks of early voting ahead of Tuesday’s primary, record-breaking turnout is undercutting predictions that the Georgia Election Integrity Act of 2021 would lead to a falloff in voting. By the end of Friday, the final day of early in-person voting, nearly 800,000 Georgians had cast ballots — more than three times the number in 2018, and higher even than in 2020, a presidential year.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1016323219

First of all, the article headline: Voting is surging in Georgia despite controversial new election law

Implying, of course, that the law was intended to suppress, even though it was more liberalized than the law in Biden's home state of Delaware.

Should have read: Voting is surging in Georgia despite paranoia and outright lies about new election law

Then the idiots come to the conclusion that a law calculated to throw up insurmountable barriers to voting actually resulted in higher voting numbers, due to increased turnout. Excuse me, but doesn't higher turnout work under pretty much every election framework? And wasn't this law supposed to lower turnout despite whatever enthusiasm there might be?

So the conclusion is, to defeat voter suppression, you ... vote?

C'mon, man. That's just genius level stuff there, no matter how you cut it.

OhZone (3,160 posts)
1. "higher even than in 2020, a presidential year."

Um -

WOW!

IrishAfricanAmerican (2,846 posts)
7. This is what I have been saying all along...

the GQP has so greatly overplayed their hand, they are going to get slaughtered in the next two elections and all of their attempts to stack the deck will fail as well.

I don't know who leaked the SCOTUS decision but that was the final nail.

Star Member calimary (68,396 posts)
10. DAYUM! Does this mean people are paying attention?

(For a change?)

Star Member Marcuse (5,409 posts)
15. They can make it hard to vote, but not impossible. Who will count our hard votes?

Linda Ed (411 posts)
17. They need to get out more messages!

Democrats have better ideas, better candidates, and a better vision for tomorrow. What they don't have is BETTER MESSAGING
Glad to hear they have voted early and in droves though

Star Member Skittles (142,920 posts)
19. this is what I was hoping

that Americans would understand voter suppression is an assault on democracy, and should prompt EVERYONE to vote

But then, a plot twist:

Star Member Hoyt (54,732 posts)
3. This is good and shows Stacey Abrams was right above voter education. BUT

from what I read in the Atlanta Journals, the real primary voter surge is from GOPers. We’ll have to do better in November.

cilla4progress (19,315 posts)
4. I hope that isn't so!

Will re-listen to the article. I got the impression it was due to work of Dem activists.

Star Member UGADawg (484 posts)
18. No it's Repubs voting

onenote (37,129 posts)
13. My guess is that the lion's share of the early voting is by repubs.

The fact that 800,000 have cast early ballots in and of itself doesn't mean that Democrats are voting in record numbers. Indeed, given that the the outcome of the primaries for the Democratic nominees for Governor and Senator are foregone conclusions while the repub primary for governor is drawing a lot of attention, I expect repub turnout will be much heavier than Democratic turnout in the primary.

16. It's Republicans voting per Atlanta paper today.

No big elections on Democratic side. Lots of contests on Repug side.

These guys are really on the ball.

:mental:

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Backfired on 'em! Georgia voting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 10:03:47 AM »
"A lie travels halfway around the world while the truth is lacing up its boots" - Credited to numerous famous folks
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
cilla4progress believes the Prog fantasy that GA's voting law changes were intended to "suppress the vote". In reality, that was never an intent, the ones who wrote the law knew the law would never have that effect, and the turn-out surge is neither a "backfiring" nor a surprise.

But on DU, facts that contradict CTs Progs want to believe are Reich-Wing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 10:26:09 AM »
Um, Stacey Abrams ran uncontested on the democratic party side. Yeah, that's not something that's going to draw big turnout.

Also, this isn't really news. I don't think this is the first time turnout has increased after the passage of a voting law.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 11:50:02 AM »
 :nelson:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 12:47:01 PM »
Quote from:
Linda Ed

Democrats have better ideas, better candidates, and a better vision for tomorrow.

$4+ gas, runaway inflation, border overrun with illegals, saber rattling against Russia and China…… but better ideas, candidates, vision, blah, blah, blah….

Have a feeling that doesn’t play out like you believe it will, primitive.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »

So the Rs got more R voters to the polls and less Ds.  I'd say things are going quite well for the Rs.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »
So the Rs got more R voters to the polls and less Ds.  I'd say things are going quite well for the Rs.

Until the Dominion Voting Tabulators of Plenty step in to impose "voting equity", anyway...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 02:07:57 PM »

So, despite the lack of "big elections on Democratic side", Georgia voting is surging? That means:

* Dem voters are not enthusiastic about Dems' agenda;

* Dem voters are not enthusiastic about LIEden's and Dem-majority Congress' performance;

* Dem voters are not motivated by the "voter suppression" lie.

That's my interpretation, of course, but DUpipo should be very nervous about what the Dem turn-out - and the R turn-out - suggests about the November election.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 02:20:34 PM »
$4+ gas, runaway inflation, border overrun with illegals, saber rattling against Russia and China…… but better ideas, candidates, vision, blah, blah, blah….

Have a feeling that doesn’t play out like you believe it will, primitive.

Don't forget the Disinformation Bureau, or whatever news-speak name they gave it. And as for "better candidates", they've got, uh... Robert O'Rourke, Kamala Harris (unpopular even within her own party), Newsome. Yeah, great pool there.

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 05:13:33 PM »

Could be.  GA is an open primary state.  With Abrams running unopposed, Dems are free to cross over to the R primary and vote for Perdue and try to push Kemp into a runoff.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein