Author Topic: Here it is, folks. They're calling it The Mother's Day Strike.  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216657452

Scrivener7 (42,014 posts)

Here it is, folks. They're calling it The Mother's Day Strike.

It worked in Iceland within 24 hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Icelandic_women%27s_strike

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/852204/what-is-the-mothers-day-strike/?utm_campaign=clip

https://www.thelist.com/852204/what-is-the-mothers-day-strike/

But some feel that women need to do more than tweet and march. They're calling for stronger measures, beginning on a day historically devoted to women with children.

A grassroots movement called the Mother's Day Strike declares that protesting the potential overturn of Roe v. Wade will take more drastic measures than joining a march or signing an online petition. Instead, the organizers are calling on women everywhere to stop working — both on the job and at home — and not spend any money from May 8 through to May 14.

"The mission is simple," they say. "Break the economy over the course of one week by abstaining from work, shopping, entertaining; and on the home front, running a household that would fall apart without your care." The hope is that if enough workplaces go unstaffed, supermarket shelves fill with rotting food, and restaurants lose all their Mother's Day business, the country will know that women refuse to let their bodies be regulated.

The Mother's Day Strike founders acknowledge that many women can't afford to take a week off work without risking a pay cut or firing. In those cases, they suggest helping by posting the strike message on social media, refusing to shop, donating to Planned Parenthood or another women's cause, or offering some help to a neighbor or friend who is planning to abide by the strike

We need to do this. Everyone, to the extent they are able, needs to do this. If you can't stay out of work, at least no spending for the week.

The economy is not going to fall apart in one week without women shoppers.  Men buy stuff too, and only a percentage of liberal women would even do this. 

Secondly, I'm behind this idea!  Don't go out to eat on Mother's Day!  I love that, it gives the cheap liberal men a reason not to have to spend on a nice dinner for their woman, and it opens some reservations up for those of us who cherish their woman.  It's hard to get reservations at a decent place for Mother's Day, they just solved my problem.   :lmao:

underpants (169,108 posts)

1. So...this means I'm making myself a sandwich???

Sorry. Just kidding. I’m fully on board with this.

LizBeth (9,394 posts)

30. I don't get why men think that is funny.

Because it is!  This is why you're called snowflakes and it just shows you have zero sense of humor.  Liberals have ruined comedy.

:lmao:

niyad (86,149 posts)

3. Excellent. Would you consider cross-posting this in Women's Rights And Issues?

As a minor aside, could we find another word than "guys" when talking about women?

Chin music (17,638 posts)

6. Stop having sex w the hubby too.

Had an impact in the 70's during the womens' movement.

BlackSkimmer (45,632 posts)

13. So Dem women should punish their husbands...why?

AkFemDem (1,079 posts)

28. Or better yet-

Should dem women punish themselves? Because the notion that men enjoy sex while women just endure it is pretty sexist in itself.

Maybe women should strike by not working or shopping, and by demanding more sex.

wnylib (11,899 posts)

15. I'm in. Retired, but I will not shop.

And will wear my t shirt that says "Strong Woman."

And since you're not going shopping ... who will see it?   :rotf:

KS Toronado (7,217 posts)

26. All us guys could help by not shopping also

OH NO!  Not KS Toronado, too!  That's it,  we WILL have rotting food in the supermarkets, the businesses will be forced to close down on the 8th day due to no profits, MILLIONS of workers will be fired and laid off.  Oh the humanity!

:rofl:

I love threads like these where they have these grand ideas and think they have power.

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Re: Here it is, folks. They're calling it The Mother's Day Strike.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 09:30:10 AM »
Please do this. It'll be easier to go to dinner to celebrate Mother's Day without all of you morons getting in the way.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 09:59:42 AM »
Please do this. It'll be easier to go to dinner to celebrate Mother's Day without all of you morons getting in the way.

As an added bonus, no one will be screaming at you to wear your mask..
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 10:02:03 AM »
So protesting and going on strike will alter the law or make people reinterpret its meaning?

Ask the air traffic controllers how that worked for them in 1980.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:13:33 AM »

I know there are Pro-Abortion women who also birthed and lovingly raised their children, but I think even some of them would recognize the arrogant absurdity of the dishonest euphemism: The Mother's Day Strike.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:14:10 AM »
Is the totalitarian left so stupid to not see that celebrating and rioting for abortion up to birth and in Kalifornia perhaps after birth on Mother's Day is incredibly bad optics and just plain stupid.

Go for it DUchebag leftists. This is a real winner.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »
But some feel that women need to do more than tweet and march. They're calling for stronger measures, beginning on a day historically devoted to women with children.

A grassroots movement called the Mother's Day Strike declares that protesting the potential overturn of Roe v. Wade

And just like that Dummieland is chock full of Biologists.  :lmao:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 10:17:09 AM »

No kidding! We purposely avoid restaurants on Mother's Day, because restaurants are so swamped that the cooks and servers cannot possibly do their jobs well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 12:07:35 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 10:18:40 AM »
Most people have already stopped shopping anyway due to Brandon's hyperinflation.   ::)
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 10:19:22 AM »

It worked in Iceland within 24 hours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Icelandic_women%27s_strike

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/852204/what-is-the-mothers-day-strike/?utm_campaign=clip

https://www.thelist.com/852204/what-is-the-mothers-day-strike/

A grassroots movement called the Mother's Day Strike declares that protesting the potential overturn of Roe v. Wade will take more drastic measures than joining a march or signing an online petition. Instead, the organizers are calling on women everywhere to stop working — both on the job and at home — and not spend any money from May 8 through to May 14.

"The mission is simple," they say. "Break the economy over the course of one week by abstaining from work, shopping, entertaining; and on the home front, running a household that would fall apart without your care." The hope is that if enough workplaces go unstaffed, supermarket shelves fill with rotting food, and restaurants lose all their Mother's Day business, the country will know that women refuse to let their bodies be regulated.

The Mother's Day Strike founders acknowledge that many women can't afford to take a week off work without risking a pay cut or firing. In those cases, they suggest helping by posting the strike message on social media, refusing to shop, donating to Planned Parenthood or another women's cause, or offering some help to a neighbor or friend who is planning to abide by the strike

We need to do this. Everyone, to the extent they are able, needs to do this. If you can't stay out of work, at least no spending for the week.

So, "Not One Damn Dime Day" part deux(or whatever we're up to now)???  :thatsright:

Because the last elebenty-seven times y'all pulled a boycott out of your colons were ohhh, so effective at altering behaviors...  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 10:29:51 AM »
Shouldn't this more properly be called "Birthing Person's Day"? A bit surprised the far left hasn't adopted that vernacular.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »

:lmao:

^5!!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »
beginning on a day historically devoted to women with children.

Ummmm
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 11:16:40 AM »

Noticed that all over.  Miraculously with this leak, all the Left suddenly remembered the definition of women.

beginning on a day historically devoted to women with children.

Ummmm

Yeah, irony is lost on moonbats
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
Shouldn't this more properly be called "Birthing Person's Day"? A bit surprised the far left hasn't adopted that vernacular.
:agree: and the fact no one on DU called the OP out about it proves what a bunch of LGBTQ@F^+-phobes they are.  :mad:
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2022, 05:36:58 PM »
Anyone have that DUmmie boycott impact image?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »
What do they think men are incapable of such?  Quite frankly, the one time I spent a lot of time working with women, about five of them were indispensable and worked right alongside us men with no complaints.  The rest of them....   Good, god, how can you spend an entire year at work planning a wedding, changing every single detail four times, and not have the groom get a clue that he should run for his life, and that's just one thing that was going on.

On the home front, sorry, I don't need a "woman's touch".  Oh, they come around, and I have fun with them, but give them power over me?  Oh, no.  I did that for 16 years, I'm good.  Guess I'll have to my own cooking and cleaning.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »
Anyone have that DUmmie boycott impact image?

Happy Fun Ball created it. Used to have it saved on a photobucket account that I can't access any longer.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »
"The mission is simple," they say. "Break the economy . . .

Too late. Biden beat you to it.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 10:57:07 PM »
LizBeth (9,394 posts)

30. I don't get why men think that is funny.

Go make a sammich!

Chin music (17,638 posts)

6. Stop having sex w the hubby too.

Had an impact in the 70's during the womens' movement.

Sexual abandonment can be grounds for divorce, though looking at most of you cows making the threats, that might be a piece of mercy.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Karin

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 09:37:13 AM »
Quite a lot of memes out there on SM, as you can imagine, of the fugliest women you've ever seen holding signs announcing their withholding of sex.  The comments are most unkind.   :lmao:  That's what you get. 

I rowed over, and the thread is a big mess about the sandwich thing, etc.  But here's an astoundingly stupid quote:

Star Member Hestia (3,510 posts)

92. Well, since Roe v Wade is about a woman's equal access to the Constitution, and if it is

overthrown, then all laws regarding women's autonomy are out the door. Since rape in marriage will be allowed again, women may not have the choice as to whether to have sex or not, along with having the "right" to use birth control, along with any say so over their money within the marriage, or credit, or basically any basic right is gone.

I just can't even. 

Sympthsical points out that all this strike is doing is screwing over your own family.  Are you not even going to feed your kids?  They're getting sick of him. 

Star Member SergeStorms (15,039 posts)

71. You can't count on republicans to help.

Republican households will go out and spend more money just to defeat the goals of the Mother's Day movement. That's who they are: mean, spiteful people who would do anything - and I mean ANYTHING - to have their way.

And there you have it, this DUmmie is on to you guys who are planning to take their Mother's Day reservation slots.  You're just mean and spiteful.   :lmao:

And then buried in the thread, I come across this freak, check it out:

usedtobedemgurl (525 posts)

90. I like the not spending money thing....

I have been out of work, due to a concussion, for months. Because of getting burns and other things, my dr wrote a note saying I am not to cook unsupervised. This means I order breakfast/lunch weekdays. My guy is home, to cook on weekends.

He is liberal and just as upset with this decision as much as I am. We are in a female led relationship, so if/when we have sex is totally up to me. In the ten years of our relationship, he has never asked for sex. He services me and it has been a couple of years since he has had sex. That is just the way it is. He is the only man in my life, for the moment, so i do not feel the need to withhold sex. That is for many reasons, including the fact my concussion/severe PTSD/depression from the accident has me in such a tizzy, I request to be serviced when I feel the very least bit of pain. I grab it when I can.

As far as shopping, my last three purchases were a walker, a chair for the shower and a step stool, so I can climb into bed, instead of experiencing pain or just sleeping on the sofa. I will pledge not to buy anything else, as long as my concussion does not facilitate me needing another purchase.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 09:48:12 AM »

Holy WOW!!  Boy did you find a freak!

usedtobedemgurl (525 posts)

90. I like the not spending money thing....

I have been out of work, due to a concussion, for months. Because of getting burns and other things, my dr wrote a note saying I am not to cook unsupervised. This means I order breakfast/lunch weekdays. My guy is home, to cook on weekends.

He is liberal and just as upset with this decision as much as I am. We are in a female led relationship, so if/when we have sex is totally up to me. In the ten years of our relationship, he has never asked for sex. He services me and it has been a couple of years since he has had sex. That is just the way it is. He is the only man in my life, for the moment, so i do not feel the need to withhold sex. That is for many reasons, including the fact my concussion/severe PTSD/depression from the accident has me in such a tizzy, I request to be serviced when I feel the very least bit of pain. I grab it when I can.

As far as shopping, my last three purchases were a walker, a chair for the shower and a step stool, so I can climb into bed, instead of experiencing pain or just sleeping on the sofa. I will pledge not to buy anything else, as long as my concussion does not facilitate me needing another purchase.

That is just ... disturbing.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 10:55:21 AM »
These people are f'n nuts  :rofl:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 11:13:09 AM »
In the spirit and support of DUmmy DUche usedtobedemgurl, I promise not to buy anything unless I need it.  No that's not right. I won't buy anything unless I WANT IT.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »

When one picture does not say it all!