Author Topic: Serious question for people that know about space.  (Read 3374 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Serious question for people that know about space.
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
I need your help.  My boyfriend's birthday is 12/1.  He turns 40.  He LOVES astronomy, and astrophysics.  I TRY to pay attention, but at some point I don't.  He has bought all of his nieces and nephews a star registry, researching with specificity the stars and where they are located.  I thought I would get one for his birthday, but I want it to be somewhere really cool, not just in Sagittarius, which is a cop-out.  He has always been interested in the space program, and weeps for NASA, he really enjoys shows with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and loves that new series, on Science about Journey Through the WormHole. 

I  need help. 

Here is the website, if you wish to take a peek. 

https://www.starregistry.com/isrOrder/dspItem.cfm?ProductId=1

Does anyone have any idea, on how I can make this a F-in cool gift, as opposed to just a cool gift?

Thanks in advance for your time.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: Serious question for people that know about space.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »
There's a pretty cool Iphone application out there for star gazing.

http://www.star-map.fr/

Would this be something of use or interest ?

Offline TJ

• Probationary (Probie)
  • The Pursuit Of Truth Is The Most Noble Quest
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 06:17:29 AM »
I don't think that you get to pick where your star is on star registry, still it would be a cool gift and show that you have put some thought into it.

I love space as well, and followed all or our missions growing up.  Did he used to make models?  I did, and would think it was cool to get a put-together model of an Apollo Lander for example.  Maybe a big book with lots of pics detailing our space history.  Or some newer stuff, like the book "The Black Hole War", which is a deep read but really cool.
I'm not bossy...I just have better ideas.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:50:55 AM »
LC, this man refuses a cell phone, so that wouldn't really help. 

TJ, actually you can pick your constellation, not the star itself.  I was trying to find a constellation that had some kind of meaning to people that are educated about space.  Last year, I got him a personalized autographed copy of Chuck Yeager's biography.  Since this one is his 40th, I wanted to do something a little more personalized, although I do have an autographed photo of Gene Kranz bookmarked.  I didn't really want to do the autograph thing two years in a row.  Models?  Oh heck.  He has some he hasn't even finished in years.  And, he collects astrolabes, but I don't know enough about the ones he has to get him something different. 

Thanks guys!

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
Sorry, but it's a scam. I know the article is old, but nearly all visable (telescopic or by eye) stars are numbered, and not recognized any other way.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2001/12/49345
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:55:57 PM »
Sorry, but it's a scam. I know the article is old, but nearly all visable (telescopic or by eye) stars are numbered, and not recognized any other way.

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2001/12/49345

thanks WS.  I pretty much knew (assumed) that, but am trying to find something nifty, and a bit extraordinary.  I will keep on thinking.   :thatsright: