Author Topic: Any Recommendations for Water Softeners?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
Any Recommendations for Water Softeners?
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
Here in Central Texas, our water is so hard and I have finally convinced my husband we need a true water softener.  He bought one of those magnetic things a few years ago and he swears it works, even though we have horrible problems with lime buildup in every freaking pipe and shower head in the house.  He's an engineer - go figure.  We also have a water-cooled AC unit that is very efficient but the lime buildup in there causes a lot of problems.  Again, the magnetic thing my husband bought doesn't take care of this, even though he says it makes it better than it was.   :hammer:

So we are going to get one.  The "Easy Water" thing they sell on the radio - that's magnetic, too. 

Any suggestions or recommendations from anyone?  I don't want to spend $7K on a system, and I don't care if it uses salt or not.  I just want to know what works and what works best.  It's only the two of us in the house so there isn't a huge demand but I want my soft water!  I'm tired of itchy skin and dry hair. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Any Recommendations for Water Softeners?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:59 AM »
I am planning to get a house water filter soon, because I suffer from the same thing, but for the moment all I have is a Reverse Osmosis system in my kitchen.  Which is great, but I can't take a bath in the kitchen sink.   :whatever:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
We had a very good one at the last house I lived in up in MN, but I'll be damned if I can remember the brand or find it again on the internet. It was a softener/ filter two piece unit. The "filter" part only needed to be changed out every ten years. (It was a combination of several different types of filters.)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »
We also have a bad hard water problem here. But the system we use cleans it up nicely. We've been using it for about 15 years now since we first bought the house.

Its called Kinetico. It uses gravity instead of electricity as most of them do. There is a main unit outside the house where the water main enters to treat all the water that enters the house. Then they also put a reverse osmosis unit under the sink strictly for drinking water.

Without it the water stains the glass shower doors and the tile. I think theres a lot of iron naturally in the water here. I later learned that one of my neighbors has had the same Kinetico unit for about 25 years now.

This brand was recommended by the guy that does This Old House and another one of those shows called Hometime. But that is why we decided to try it. Has worked out quite well for us. Wasnt cheap, but has turned out to be a good investment.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline CG6468

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
About 3 months ago we had our 26+ year old Culligan unit replaced with a Fleck softener. It was recommended by our softener salt supplier. No problems at all.

Softener

We also had a Reverse Osmosis system installed for drinking water at the kitchen sink.

Puromax RO Systems
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
I have seen lots of great reviews for Fleck but excuse me for my blondness but the pictures only show the meter part.  It does come with the tank, right? 

The Fleck ones seem to be reasonably priced. 

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
I got the GE smartwater system from Home Depot a few years ago and it cleared up the problem of scale build-up in my tankless water heater as well as the hard water deposits on our glass shower doors.   I use potassium chloride pellets rather than the sodium chloride pellets.  They are twice the cost but better for your skin and they reduce your sodium intake.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »
We also have a bad hard water problem here. But the system we use cleans it up nicely. We've been using it for about 15 years now since we first bought the house.

Its called Kinetico. It uses gravity instead of electricity as most of them do. There is a main unit outside the house where the water main enters to treat all the water that enters the house. Then they also put a reverse osmosis unit under the sink strictly for drinking water.

Without it the water stains the glass shower doors and the tile. I think theres a lot of iron naturally in the water here. I later learned that one of my neighbors has had the same Kinetico unit for about 25 years now.

This brand was recommended by the guy that does This Old House and another one of those shows called Hometime. But that is why we decided to try it. Has worked out quite well for us. Wasnt cheap, but has turned out to be a good investment.

Thank you for that link, Janice. I requested a quote from Kinetico. Let's see what they come up with.

Our water is moderately hard. It isn't ridiculous, like I've seen it in some places, but it needs some treatment. Our water comes from a local reservoir, and it's generally okay, but our drinking water is filtered through the refrigerator -- not a great way to do it, but better than nothing.

We're interested in a whole-house water filter to remove "the big stuff" and we can go from there. I'm not convinced that an RO system is wanted or needed in our house.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
Do you have any local companies you can call for an estimate?  There's one here that advertises on the radio... they would be the first people I would talk to (Rock City Machine).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:17:49 PM »
We ended up going cheap with a Morton's System Saver that we got at Sam's for $398.00 + $200.00 today for the plumber to come and fit the water pipes. 

It's quite confusing - we have a Kinetico dealer here and their quote for us was $3000.00.   :confused:

We're going to try this out - the plumber that came out to hook it up says you don't need to spend a gazillion dollars on a system unless you have a lot of people living in your house.  We have two people here.  I am most concerned about our water-cooled AC unit where the lime builds up.  If we can just prevent that from happening, it'll be worth it. 

I've researched the magnets, the electrical impulse units, etc., and they all promise a lot.  So we'll see what happens with this.  We decided we'd rather spend for a cheap system and have it replaced every three years if necessary than go all out with a $3K system. 

Who knows?  I hope we did the right thing. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
That's another problem out here - plumbers.

I have never in my life seen a group of guys less motivated to work. They're all in business for themselves, but they're all lazier than hell. Don't return calls, hell they don't even bother to answer the freakin' phone!  :banghead:

You definitely have a point, Trav. We are going to be in this house a maximum of 10 years. Replacing 3 of those units at $400 equals $1,200, plus $700 for the freakin' plumber (if you can find one that is alive), and hell, it makes no sense to plunk down a lot of money for super-clean water.

We're just looking for something that's going to clean some of the sediment out (there is some, since it comes from a reservoir) and maybe soften it a little. We don't need no stinkin' RO water.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »
That's another problem out here - plumbers.

I have never in my life seen a group of guys less motivated to work. They're all in business for themselves, but they're all lazier than hell. Don't return calls, hell they don't even bother to answer the freakin' phone!  :banghead:

You definitely have a point, Trav. We are going to be in this house a maximum of 10 years. Replacing 3 of those units at $400 equals $1,200, plus $700 for the freakin' plumber (if you can find one that is alive), and hell, it makes no sense to plunk down a lot of money for super-clean water.

We're just looking for something that's going to clean some of the sediment out (there is some, since it comes from a reservoir) and maybe soften it a little. We don't need no stinkin' RO water.

I only have an RO for my kitchen.  Currently in a box.  It cost $100.  And, with the cost of Brita filter refills, at $40 every 3 months, worth it.  My water has so much chlorine.  When I had to drip my faucets for the freezes this winter, I put a washcloth in one sink so I wouldn't hear the drip.  Damn water bleached holes in my washcloth!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline CG6468

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
I have seen lots of great reviews for Fleck but excuse me for my blondness but the pictures only show the meter part.  It does come with the tank, right? 

The Fleck ones seem to be reasonably priced. 

Yes. It comes with everything any other softener has.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Traveshamockery

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »
So far, so good with the cheaper water softener.  I can see a huge difference already.  My skin doesn't itch anymore and my hair definitely feels softer.  I will be doing laundry and running the dishwasher today.  Can't wait to see what it does for that. 

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
So far, so good with the cheaper water softener.  I can see a huge difference already.  My skin doesn't itch anymore and my hair definitely feels softer.  I will be doing laundry and running the dishwasher today.  Can't wait to see what it does for that. 
feels funny when you take a shower doesn't it?  Like you aren't getting all the soap off of your skin.  You get used to it after a while...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »
feels funny when you take a shower doesn't it?  Like you aren't getting all the soap off of your skin.  You get used to it after a while...

Good way to put it. :)
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
The thing is that a water softener won't necessarily get the sediment out. It still needs filtration. I had a water softener at the house I had in Becker, MN. The shower stalls were still stained with water deposits.  The Ramsey house had the complete softener/ filtration system. It was WAY WAY better. The water in Ramsey had tons of Iron in it and smelled like sulphur half the time (well water) and we weren't really that far from the Mississippi river. (½ to 3/4 mile as the crow flies)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson