Author Topic: Leek Rosti  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Leek Rosti
« on: March 25, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
Ingredients
6 large baking potatoes, such as russet or Idaho, scrubbed but unpeeled (3 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter
3 medium leeks, chopped, white and pale green parts only
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly milled black pepper
4 tablespoons rendered goose fat or vegetable oil
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
Directions
Place the potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 25 to 35 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours and preferably overnight.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. In a very large (12-inch) nonstick skillet (if the skillet handle isn't heatproof, wrap it in a double thickness of aluminum foil), heat the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until tender, stirring often, about 4 minutes. In a small bowl, mix the salt and pepper. Season the leeks with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt-and-pepper mixture. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. (The leeks can be prepared up to 1 day ahead, cooled, covered and refrigerated.)

Peel the potatoes and shred on the largest holds of a box grater. In the skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the goose fat over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Spread half of the potatoes in the skillet in a layer. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt-and-pepper mixture. Spread with the leeks, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Top with the remaining potatoes, and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Cook until the edges of the pancake are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Hold a flat round skillet top, plate, or pizza pan on top of the skillet. Inver the skillet and the skillet top together so the pancake falls, upside down, onto the skillet top. (If this seems too heavy to handle, slide the pancake carefully out of the skillet onto a plate. Place a second plate on top and invert.) Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining tablespoons goose fat until very hot. Slide the pancake back into the skillet, browned side up. Cook until the underside is browned, 5 to 7 minutes.

Bake for 10 minutes. Turn the pancake as before, and bake it until crisp, about 10 more minutes.

Transfer to a warm round platter and sprinkle with the chives, if desired. Serve hot, cut into wedges.

Shamelessly lifted from Food Network. We serve Zurich Veal on the "pancakes".

1 pound veal escallope
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup heavy cream
Zest of one lemon
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
Season the veal with salt and pepper. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt half the butter. Quickly pan-fry the veal for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Continue cooking the remaining veal. With a paper towel, wipe out the saute pan. Melt the remaining tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cook until the liquid reduces by half. Stir in the cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the veal and lemon peel and heat for 1 minute. To serve, place a quarter of Rosti in the center of each plate. Place some of the slices of veal around the potatoes. Add the parsley to the sauce and mix well. Spoon the sauce over the veal and serve.

We don't have this very often, but damn......... :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline debk

Re: Leek Rosti
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:09 PM »
OMG....this sounds delicious!!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »
Both look fabulous!  I love Veal.  And Leeks.  I might have to make that sometime soon. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »
Trust me, it's the best way to eat baby cow.   :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Woodhick

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
I will try this next week for sure. I am always looking for a new dish to make. Thanks for the recipe. I copy and paste it into my recipe folder for sure.
GUN CONTROL is Hitting Your Mark The First Shot !!!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:57:02 AM »
YW!   :cheersmate: