Author Topic: Recipe request: Christmas Cookie exchange - bar cookie recipe needed  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Schadenfreude

5..4..3..2..1.. GO!

I need to make 6 dozen bars. Thanks!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Recipe request: Christmas Cookie exchange - bar cookie recipe needed
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Hand-make a graham cracker crust (powdered graham crackers mixed with melted butter), cover with a double layer of dark semi-sweet chocolate chips, a layer of pecans (out of shell & chopped), a layer of coconut (out of shell, etc.), pour a can of Eagle Brand milk over the thing and bake at 350 till the coconut is golden brown.

Cut into squares or bars.

You'll be a superstar!

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »
Hand-make a graham cracker crust (powdered graham crackers mixed with melted butter), cover with a double layer of dark semi-sweet chocolate chips, a layer of pecans (out of shell & chopped), a layer of coconut (out of shell, etc.), pour a can of Eagle Brand milk over the thing and bake at 350 till the coconut is golden brown.

Cut into squares or bars.

You'll be a superstar!

magic cookie bars with a nutty twist...nummy. :-)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
magic cookie bars with a nutty twist...nummy. :-)

Yes, they are!

BTW, it looks like I am your only friend.  Remember that and treat others accordingly.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:01 PM »
Sorry, I'm no help.  I don't have any recipes for bar cookies. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »
I had one, but I lost it.  It was cheesecake-ish.  :(

I don't normally do cookies or cookie bars.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »
Oh I do have a recipe for cheesecake bars

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
    **I think I doubled the top three for a thicker crust**
5 packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam (or blueberry)

Preheat oven to 325.  Line 13"x9" pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan.  Mix cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar.  Press firmly onto the bottom of prepared pan.  Bake 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Add sour cream; mix well.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low after each addition just until blended.  Pour over crust.  Gently drop small spoonfuls of jam over batter, cut through batter several times  with knife for marbled effect.

Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool completely.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.  Lift cheesecake from pan using foil handles.  Cut into 16 pieces to serve.  Store left overs in refrigerator. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
Yes, they are!

BTW, it looks like I am your only friend.  Remember that and treat others accordingly.

Who needs friends when I have you?

*kisses* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Oh I do have a recipe for cheesecake bars

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
    **I think I doubled the top three for a thicker crust**
5 packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1/3 cup seedless strawberry jam (or blueberry)

Preheat oven to 325.  Line 13"x9" pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan.  Mix cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar.  Press firmly onto the bottom of prepared pan.  Bake 10 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.  Add sour cream; mix well.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low after each addition just until blended.  Pour over crust.  Gently drop small spoonfuls of jam over batter, cut through batter several times  with knife for marbled effect.

Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set.  Cool completely.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.  Lift cheesecake from pan using foil handles.  Cut into 16 pieces to serve.  Store left overs in refrigerator. 

That looks delicious, but I have to make 6 dozen... I am looking for ones I can mass produce.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »
That looks delicious, but I have to make 6 dozen... I am looking for ones I can mass produce.

At least I contributed something!

They're delicious but rich, and there's no way in hell I'd make 6 dozen of them either.  :wink:
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 09:35:47 PM »
5..4..3..2..1.. GO!

I need to make 6 dozen bars. Thanks!

Well, that is 72 bars -- it is going to take you 4 days or so (5 if you want more than a few hours of sleep).

Make sure you wear your best hootchie mama shorts and that plunging American stripe halter we all like so much.  If you want extra dough you can arrange with the owner or manager of each one to let guys buy you "house drinks" for full price when they buy your cookies and then split the difference between your watered down ones and the normal price.

Peanut butter cookies are your best bet.  Drunk dudes all love PB cookies.

I am sure if you take a bunch of PB cookies to 72 bars in 4 days in the outfit I have described you should sell them all.

Why you need to hit up 72 bars, I don't know...

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »

I think the one I had involved Pilsbury crescent rolls with some kind of cheesecake-type stuff schmeared in between a couple of layers.  They were okay, but not spectacular.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »
Well, that is 72 bars -- it is going to take you 4 days or so (5 if you want more than a few hours of sleep).

Make sure you wear your best hootchie mama shorts and that plunging American stripe halter we all like so much.  If you want extra dough you can arrange with the owner or manager of each one to let guys buy you "house drinks" for full price when they buy your cookies and then split the difference between your watered down ones and the normal price.

Peanut butter cookies are your best bet.  Drunk dudes all love PB cookies.

I am sure if you take a bunch of PB cookies to 72 bars in 4 days in the outfit I have described you should sell them all.

Why you need to hit up 72 bars, I don't know...

I figure that you can get 24 bars from a pan, so about 3 pans, eh?

Now you just made me all hot now with that talk about hoochie.....  :uhsure:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
I think the one I had involved Pilsbury crescent rolls with some kind of cheesecake-type stuff schmeared in between a couple of layers.  They were okay, but not spectacular.

Involved crescent rolls... LOL... sounds like a crime scene.  :lmao:

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
Involved crescent rolls... LOL... sounds like a crime scene.  :lmao:

You don't get as much of that greasy, fake-butter flavor if you roll the dough out flat into a baking dish.  It comes out more pastry-like.  Put a layer of dough down, spread a thick layer of cheesecake filling, and top with another layer of dough.  Bake until the dough is done and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar while it's still hot.  You can get a dozen bars each (at least).  Let it cool in the refrigerator for a while.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 12:59:03 AM »
I figure that you can get 24 bars from a pan, so about 3 pans, eh?

Now you just made me all hot now with that talk about hoochie.....  :uhsure:

Some day I will break you.

This is clearly not that day

:)

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 04:21:48 AM »
These are incredibly easy....I made them for Christmas last year and they were a hit. Everyone decided they were great for breakfast too! I changed the recipe some to the following......

Raspberry Oatmeal Bars

1    17.5 oz bag Betty Crocker Oatmeal Cookie mix (don't follow directions on bag)
1c   semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4  chopped pecans
1     stick butter, melted
3Tb  water

Jar of Raspberry Seedless Jam (jam works best)

1/2c powdered sugar
2-3t lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam Butter Spray.

Mix the first 5 ingredients together, then pat out level into the pan. Spread the jam over the top, (I did't use the whole jar, but it will depend on the size of the jar how much it takes)

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Cool completely.

Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice, adding enough lemon juice to make a thick but fluid enough to "drizzle".
Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cookies. Then cut into bars. Depending on how small you cut them you could get 8doz. I don't cut them that small and I get 4 doz.

The original recipe called for coconut instead of chocolate chips and I added the nuts, you could use walnuts, I just prefer pecans. If you want to keep the chocolate chips and add the coconut, add another tablespoon of water so they aren't too dry, the dough is crumbly.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »
Oh Deb, those look wonderful!

Offline debk

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 10:09:52 AM »
They really are. Sweet, but not overly. I made them last year and took them up to Ohio to my sister's.....they were gone the first day, and had to make more....like I said....they were discovered for breakfast! The raspberry jam soaks down through the oatmeal as they cook, which is why I like to use a bit more than the recipe calls for cause I like the dark red showing through the glaze. And since M was the one who cut them into larger squares, they disappeared really fast!! :whatever:

If you go to Paula Deen's website, she has the most incredible lemon squares I have ever had. They are more expensive and time consuming to make than the raspberry squares but they are awesome! They are extremely rich and need to be cut in small squares so you would get more pieces.

I'm going to do a couple of trays of Magic Bars(the same one that Lord Undies makes - they are tradition in my family), the Raspberry Oatmeal bars, Lemon Squares and Turtle Bars for my office and a friend's work. I found big red and green plastic platters at the Dollar Tree for a dollar each and they also had white paper doilies that were a dollar a pack too. They are about 14" in diameter, and I have green cling wrap to cover them with.....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.