Author Topic: another forum suggestion  (Read 6530 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
another forum suggestion
« on: January 19, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
You know, this place is evolving wonderfully, after only three weeks of existence.

My own personal "goal" is to make the DUmpster the most popular forum, and the biggest "magnet" attracting guests here, and I'm sure that's going to happen; I'm looking six, eight, ten, months down the road.  All good things take time.

As I mentioned before, I always noticed on conservativeunderground that the forums about firearms and recipes seemed to attract a lot of guests, potential members, and it's all good.

conservativescave is already shaping up pretty good, with all these other non-primitive forums--firearms, recipes, computers, sports, religion, &c., &c., &c.--which DO attract people.

How about yet another forum, this one dealing with motor vehicles--where members would describe problems, and if so inclined, post photographs of their automobiles, if that's their thing to do?

It looks as if there's a wealth of information here, in so many peoples' brains, about mechanics.

Yeah, yeah, I know there's plenty of sites on the internet dedicated strictly to the upkeep, maintenance, repair, and hobby of automobilists, but those are very large and sometimes intimidating; it's like having to walk half a mile through a superstore just to get a gallon of milk, when it's really just easier to run down to the convenience store and get it.

If such a forum were created, and while I'm waiting for the DUmpster to evolve and grow, and if someone can be a moderator for more than one forum, I would be willing to moderate it (despite this is the busiest time of the year for me, in real life, through April 15), even though I don't know excresence about automobiles.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: another forum suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
I think that is a pretty good idea, frank. Although, I would like to expand on it even more, as to say, a forum that is inclusive of not only vehicles, but, also including home repair, lawn and garden maintenience, etc.  Kind of like a "Tool Time" forum.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
I like the idea for a car forum.  Half the time, I'm dragging stuff over here from Jalopnik or AutoBlog.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
I like Odin's idea.  Home renovation threads are fun and informative.  With the ability to use child boards you could include decorating, gardening, crafts etc. They would not become as huge as the Lounge but they'd be easy to find, sometimes people recommend products on sites and when you want the reference it's impossible to find. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:47:23 PM »
I think that is a pretty good idea, frank. Although, I would like to expand on it even more, as to say, a forum that is inclusive of not only vehicles, but, also including home repair, lawn and garden maintenience, etc.  Kind of like a "Tool Time" forum.

Yes, sure, of course, and that's probably what would naturally happen, of its own volition.

Remember what we are; we're the sort of people who like to analyze problems, and solve them, unlike the primitives who just sit on their asses waiting for George Bush to fly in to take care of something for them.

I could very well see home repair, lawn and garden, and their accompanying tools becoming part of the forum, besides just automobiles and trucks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »
Forums like these could be child boards under the Lounge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Forums like these could be child boards under the Lounge.

personally, and as a lounge mod to begin with at CU, I think the lounge should stand alone.  I think it should be sassy and provocative.

I do like the idea that odin has posted.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »
You know, this place is evolving wonderfully, after only three weeks of existence.

My own personal "goal" is to make the DUmpster the most popular forum, and the biggest "magnet" attracting guests here, and I'm sure that's going to happen; I'm looking six, eight, ten, months down the road.  All good things take time.

I don't know... Hoping that a forum category which is devoted to discussing what is posted at DU is the most popular sort of implies that what is posted at DU is important. I just don't think that what people write at political message boards is important. I could be wrong.

Me, I'm hoping that the General Discussion forum here becomes the most popular.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »

I don't know... Hoping that a forum category which is devoted to discussing what is posted at DU is the most popular sort of implies that what is posted at DU is important. I just don't think that what people write at political message boards is important. I could be wrong.

What is posted on DU is not important because it is shallow and dishonest.  What is important is how it is posted.  It is posted behind a wall of denial and censorship. 

It is important to have a place to expose such publicly isolated and protected idiocy.  It is important that as many people as possible see what lurks in the mind of those who want the world to believe liberals are the Truth and the Light.  It is important to expose those nasty horrid people as they fight tooth and nail not to be exposed.

Striving to make The DUmpster popular is not an exercise in folly.  The DUmpster's purpose is genuine and beneficial.  In the larger picture, I say it is as important, maybe more so, as "general discussion".  It has a dedicated subject, a clear focus, and publicized intentions.  It is driven by the sole desire to show the world exactly how putrid, vile, and anti-human liberals are everyday of their dishonest ugly lives.       

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »
Striving to make The DUmpster popular is not an exercise in folly.

Point of order... What Frankso wrote is that he hopes to make The Dumpster the most popular forum here, not just a popular forum here.

I haven't argued that The Dumpster, a forum category devoted to critiquing another forum, is a folly or without value. I just think that hoping for The Dumpster to be the most popular forum here is an odd wish.

The DUmpster's purpose is genuine and beneficial.  In the larger picture, I say it is as important, maybe more so, as "general discussion".  It has a dedicated subject, a clear focus, and publicized intentions.  It is driven by the sole desire to show the world exactly how putrid, vile, and anti-human liberals are everyday of their dishonest ugly lives.       

And here I thought that the purpose of The Dumpster was to have fun. Do you really think that "the world" is watching The Dumpster? I don't. I mean... if you really believe that what is written at DU is not important, then I don't understand why you would think that critiques of what is written at DU are important.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:04:58 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »
Point of order... What Frankso wrote is that he hopes to make The Dumpster the most popular forum here, not just a popular forum here.

Point of order:  Frank's enthusiasm is not a point of order.  It is an indication of his honest desire to be successful in an endeavour.  It is interesting you would want to pick him apart.  One may get the impression you have less-than-friendly motives. 

I haven't argued that The Dumpster, a forum category devoted to critiquing another forum, is a folly or without value. I just think that hoping for The Dumpster to be the most popular forum here is an odd wish.

I suppose it would be an odd wish if it was a wish expressed by someone not personally involved.  Perhaps your inability to imagine yourself in someone else's place has you blind to such.  Such ability comes with maturity.   

And here I thought that the purpose of the Dumpster was to have fun. Do you really think that "the world" is watching The Dumpster? I don't. I mean... if you really believe that what is written at DU is not important, then I don't understand why you would think that critique of what is written at DU is important.

The DUmpster being fun is a natural byproduct of exposing and making fun of ridiculous self-absorbed pompous-ass liberals.  It's all good.

"The world" can mean many things.  It means "people in general" in this case, but I suspect you know that.

As for what is posted at DU being important, I believe I covered that in my previous post.  Reread if necessary.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »

Point of order:  Frank's enthusiasm is not a point of order.  It is an indication of his honest desire to be successful in an endeavour.  It is interesting you would want to pick him apart. 

I didn't pick Frankso apart. I picked apart your mischaracterization of what Frankso wrote.

:innocent:

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

Point of order:  Frank's enthusiasm is not a point of order.  It is an indication of his honest desire to be successful in an endeavour.  It is interesting you would want to pick him apart. 

I didn't pick Frankso apart. I picked apart your mischaracterization of what Frankso wrote.

:innocent:

I wouldn't have written what I did if you had not picked apart what Frank wrote.  Pay attention.

You TIRED to make it appear what I said was a "mischaracterization".  You failed.

Offline Flame

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:06 PM »

Dude, stop hijacking the thread.  This topic was posted to discuss a car/home improvement board, not to debate the purpose of the dumpster.  Do you have an opinion on the topic of the thread, then post it, otherwise, bring up your point somewhere else.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »
Dude, stop hijacking the thread.  This topic was posted to discuss a car/home improvement board, not to debate the purpose of the dumpster.  Do you have an opinion on the topic of the thread, then post it, otherwise, bring up your point somewhere else.

Okay. I apologize for threadjacking. I chimed in only to respond to something Frankso wrote.

:bow:
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas