Author Topic: My daily dump...UBS  (Read 736 times)

Offline zeitgeist

My daily dump...UBS
« on: August 14, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »

Nothing like a good daily dump. 

Dump Link

Heidi  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-14-09 03:45 AM
Original message
150 American UBS clients may face criminal charges: report
 Source: Reuters

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33am EDT

(Reuters) - 150 American clients of UBS are likely to face criminal charges related to tax evasion in the United States, the New York Times reported, citing a person briefed on the matter.

The person told the paper that several inquiries across the country were being handled by dozens of prosecutors and would result in criminal complaints.

The paper said it was unclear where the U.S. government got the client names from.

In February, UBS agreed to pay $780 million and to hand over data relating to about 250 U.S. clients to settle criminal charges it was facing under a tax dispute with the U.S. government.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSLE2765052009...

But where to begin??

formercia  (1000+ posts)       Fri Aug-14-09 07:35 AM
Response to Reply #1
3. The 250 were the first UBS clients to be revealed. 
 Out of those, 150 will be charged.

A lot of tax cheats have been playing 'let's make a deal' with the IRS to keep from going to jail.

The first 250 were large accounts. There are some 52,000 other clients yet to be revealed to the IRS, if I remember correctly.

Just having an overseas account doesn't necessarily mean any laws were broken.

or maybe lets do a link back?

Rebellious Republican (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-14-09 08:07 AM
Response to Reply #3
5. You remember correctly...
 http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Care to join me with some popcorn to enjoy the show

Cheers

Me too, for example who in the current administration?

asdjrocky (1000+ posts)        Fri Aug-14-09 08:24 AM
Response to Original message
8. Names? I want names. 

Its just you

keepthemhonest (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-14-09 10:25 AM
15. is it just me or is good winning over evil lately? NT

an my current favorite:

denverbill (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-14-09 10:43 AM
17. That's 150 fewer voting Republickers then. 
 The ones who whine the most about taxes are also the ones doing the most tax cheating.

Overdue bill seems to have missed the parade of tax cheats from the current regime?
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline jtyangel

Re: My daily dump...UBS
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »
They can get sanctimonious when they hold their own politicians accountable, until then they are nothing more then ideologues. In addition, they have this very juvenile view that all wealthy people who cheat on things are republicans. Both adults in this house have worked with clients and their money and while I won't name names, some of their favorite hacks of all occupations are loaded and hire all sorts of advisors(tax and otherwise) to both protect their money and make more of it for them :lmao:.   :lmao: Dummies:there is a reason they are called that.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
DOJ does not have to release any names until they actually charge particular people (And then just those charged, of course), so I'm not expecting any sweeping revelations.  I expect they will end up selecting about a dozen cases for 'Show trials' with about 3/5 nominal Repubicans and 2/5 nominal Democrats to avoid any appearance that they are on an agenda, even if the real mix was as ridiculous as 240/10 either way, that's just the way these things are done, and fishing for plea deals or settlements from the rest of the 250. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »
Not that I recommend using such a small sample but by examining Obama's appointees it is democrats that have the problem with paying/filing their taxes.  But if you are on the left, then either the software or the offender just made a mistake.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
If the jug eared one gets another term he has a fresh pool of cabinet appointees to choose from.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.