Author Topic: primitives discuss Easter dinner  (Read 1294 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss Easter dinner
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x76498

Oh my.

This campfire was lit yesterday, so "tomorrow" in the comments means "today."

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-03-10 08:20 PM
THE FARMERETTE FROM WISCONSIN
Original message

Lilacs and tulips in bloom -- what's for Sunday dinner?

Can't believe the lilacs are already blooming. It's very early for that.

What's going on in your spring kitchen? I browsed the meat and fish counters this morning with nary an inspiration for Sunday dinner. It's much harder to make a festive small meal for a few than it is to make a festive buffet for a crowd, IMO.

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-03-10 08:56 PM
THE SPARKLING HUSBAND PRIMITIVE, #05 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

1. "It's much harder to make a festive small meal for a few than it is . . . . . . . "

You are *absolutely* right. We're invited out for tomorrow, but tonight we have a really nice "mixed grill". Grilled BBQ shrimp, grilled seasoned scallops, grilled lemon pepper mahimahi, grilled asparagus, and grilled potatoes.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Sat Apr-03-10 10:29 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE, #09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009

2. Flowering trees are finally out in NM, two weeks late

so yes, they've confirmed we've had a stinker of a winter around here.

However, the temperature is supposed to be in the 60s and 70s all next week, so I'll be doing a huge seafood salad, the first of the year. Since it doesn't freeze, I'll be noshing on it all week.

Lugnut  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 01:49 AM

3. Ham.

We're doing a cold dinner for eleven people tomorrow. Brie en croate and crackers for an appetizer then ham, potato salad, cucumber salad, raddichio, endive and orange salad with orange balsamic dressing, sliced kielbasi, paprika bacon, Easter pie, deviled eggs and Tandy Take squares for dessert. My daughter's 39th birthday is on Thursday and she requested the dessert as her birthday cake.

It's warm and sunny here which is very uncharacteristic of spring weather in the mountains. We are in the middle of some major renovation projects in the house so a lot of make-ahead dishes was easier for me to handle. The filled plastic eggs are ready to be hidden in the garden for the little ones. We're ready for an easy going laid back day.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-04-10 12:59 PM
Response to Reply #3

8. what is a Tandy Take cake?

Never heard of that one.

Arkansas Granny  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-04-10 07:31 AM

4. Redbuds are in bloom here and dogwood will be blooming soon.

My daffodils are finishing up and the forsythia is starting to drop it's blooms.

We're fixing glazed pork tenderloin, rosemary parmesan scalloped potatoes and a green salad today with strawberry shortcake for dessert.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 08:36 AM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

5. Going to my SIL's

not because we celebrate Easter but we bugged out on the last couple of holidays so felt we should go this time. Plus it's so lovely here finally that I feel like getting out and about. Loooonnnnggg and dismal winter.

I'm just making a big green salad with lots and lots of fruits and veggies in it and a lemon balsamic vinaigrette to go on it. And probably those chocolate caramel crackers from Smitten Kitchen.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 10:14 AM

6. Cold turkey and ham at MIL's...as usual...

I'm making a pasta side dish and a cucumber salad. I'm sure there will be the usual sides of veggies and mac and cheese, etc.

For later tonight I made a semi frozen chocolate cream. It looks like half an Easter egg after I unmold it. I need to decorate it but that won't happen until much later today.

tigereye  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 12:10 PM

7. I don't know yet, we usually eat out on Easter

but the flowers here are wild- my early tulips and crocuses are all done, hyacinths have been out for about 2 weeks, little daffs that I planted last fall are out now, daylillies are starting to spring up and my clematis (I was worried the blizzard had done it in) is starting to bud a bit.

I actually had to water since it was so hot the last 2 days! Also I have some new bulbs and tubers to put in, maybe today.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Sun Apr-04-10 05:46 PM

9. well we finally have a menu

Peel and eat shrimp Chesapeake with two dipping sauces (horseradish cocktail and mustard remoulade)

Crispy polenta with sundried tomato and basil

Green beans slow-cooked with a bit of bacon fat

Deviled eggs w/curry

Petite green peas with fresh mint

Pineapple, orange and carrot Jell-O mold (for some reason my Aunt Dorothy's Easter tradition was on my mind!)

Pickle and olive tray

Strawberries, brown sugar and sour cream.

A veritable feast. Sorry, all you family members who are off doing other things this year! Three are in a tiny Transylvanian village (where the only produce available this time of year is cabbage, onions, and potatoes but the pastries are delicious).
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: primitives discuss Easter dinner
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:50:28 PM »
hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 08:36 AM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER
5. Going to my SIL's

not because we celebrate Easter but we bugged out on the last couple of holidays so felt we should go this time.
As well-established as her bona fides are, the vicious DUmmy hippywife still apparently feels a need to nourish her DUmp cred. I wonder if this sister-in-law is married to the one with both eyes on the same side of his nose, or the one whose tongue is bigger than the inside of his mouth. I guess it could be the sister whose teeth are on the wrong side of her lips. Honestly, I expect any day to read a post from DUmmy hippywife where she refers to her husband as Wild Bill.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
As well-established as her bona fides are, the vicious DUmmy hippywife still apparently feels a need to nourish her DUmp cred.....Honestly, I expect any day to read a post from DUmmy hippywife where she refers to her husband as Wild Bill.

That's one of the first things I noticed, "not that we celebrate Easter."

Damn.  The holidays, or rather the non-holidays, in the Packer household must be a barrel of fun; imagine spending Christmas (as they really did, remember) sitting on the couch listening to some sort of "talking book" by some personality on National Public Radio.

Wild Bill's sour dourness has really gotten into Mrs. Alfred Packer.

But that's what happens when one turns one's back on the people and culture that gave one life.  When I think of hippywife Mrs. Alfred Packer, the impression I get is one of Great Emptiness; nothing in her.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »
I think these people are seriously disturbed.

A menu??

Just cook for crying out loud, people want food not a menu.

pork chops, hot links, steaks, hot dawgs, maybe a potato in foil or some unshucked corn

simplicity is a virtue in cookouts and in DUmmie brains!

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
Yeah really.  Look at Grasswire's goofy menu.  You would come away from her "veritable feast" very hungry.  Corn meal mush by any foreign name is still corn meal mush.  Jello with carrots in it?  Yuck.  Peas with mint?  Evil.  Slow cooked green beans?  Does that mean they've been boiled to mush?  The only protein is a smattering of cold shrimp.  And you have to tear the legs and shit off them first to get at them. 

My menu, because we do Easter, was:  Filet mignons wrapped in bacon from Omaha Steaks, in Frank's neck of the woods (outstanding), baked potatoes, green beans not boiled to mush, but rather sauteed, and cheesecake.  Beer to drink.  Happy Easter! 

Offline lastparker

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:48:22 AM »
Lugnut  (1000+ posts)        Sun Apr-04-10 01:49 AM

3. Ham.

We're doing a cold dinner for eleven people tomorrow. Brie en croate and crackers......

Your attempt at pretension is a FAILURE.  Your heroes, the French, MOCK YOU.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
My menu, because we do Easter, was:  Filet mignons wrapped in bacon from Omaha Steaks, in Frank's neck of the woods (outstanding), baked potatoes, green beans not boiled to mush, but rather sauteed, and cheesecake.  Beer to drink.  Happy Easter

I'm coming to your house next year.   :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
My menu, because we do Easter, was:  Filet mignons wrapped in bacon from Omaha Steaks, in Frank's neck of the woods (outstanding), baked potatoes, green beans not boiled to mush, but rather sauteed, and cheesecake.  Beer to drink.  Happy Easter! 
What brand of beer?

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:21:45 AM »
LaBatt's Blue, the only one I drink. 

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »
Yeah really.  Look at Grasswire's goofy menu.  You would come away from her "veritable feast" very hungry.  Corn meal mush by any foreign name is still corn meal mush.  Jello with carrots in it?  Yuck.  Peas with mint?  Evil.  Slow cooked green beans?  Does that mean they've been boiled to mush?  The only protein is a smattering of cold shrimp.  And you have to tear the legs and shit off them first to get at them. 

Sounds great to me. But I don't boil green beans, I steam or sautee them.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:01 AM »
Green beans are of the devil.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
I cooked for twelve:

Ten and a half pounds of Baked Spiral Ham
Texas Potatoes (Mom's recipe)
Green Beans
Corn on the cob
Fresh baked rolls
Salad

Ice Tea, Coffee, Water, and Beer.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
I cooked for twelve:

Ten and a half pounds of Baked Spiral Ham
Texas Potatoes (Mom's recipe)
Green Beans
Corn on the cob
Fresh baked rolls
Salad

Ice Tea, Coffee, Water, and Beer.

I cooked for two. 

Buffalo Burgers
French Fries
Coleslaw

Beers.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:09 AM »
Hoser.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »

Good taste.  :cheersmate:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »
I think these people are seriously disturbed.

A menu??

Just cook for crying out loud, people want food not a menu.

pork chops, hot links, steaks, hot dawgs, maybe a potato in foil or some unshucked corn

{b]simplicity is a virtue in cookouts [/b]and in DUmmie brains!

Not here in the South......cooking for more than the immediate family, and sometimes even then.....is an event for many.  

There were 11 adults and 2 little kids at our Easter dinner....everybody brought something....then split up the leftovers which is what we always do.

We had....

Hot ham and swiss croissants
Fried chicken
Nanny K's chicken salad on Sister Shubert rolls
Bok choi Asian slaw
Baked beans
Corn salsa and chips
Nanny K's deviled eggs and sweet pickles
Potato salad
Thumbprint cookies
Strawberry cupcakes
Berry cheesecake trifle
Nanny K's chocolate silk pie

Bloody Mary's and a fruity wine spritzer thing

Nanny K is 96 years old....and an incredible old-timey Southern country cook.  :drool:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »

Your attempt at pretension is a FAILURE.  Your heroes, the French, MOCK YOU.

Especially since all they're talking about is cheese surrounded by bread (pastry).

We had ham, sweet potatoes, sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers & garlic, fruit salad, deviled eggs and apple pie for dessert.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
Not here in the South......cooking for more than the immediate family, and sometimes even then.....is an event for many.  

There were 11 adults and 2 little kids at our Easter dinner....everybody brought something....then split up the leftovers which is what we always do.

We had....

Hot ham and swiss croissants
Fried chicken
Nanny K's chicken salad on Sister Shubert rolls
Bok choi Asian slaw
Baked beans
Corn salsa and chips
Nanny K's deviled eggs and sweet pickles
Potato salad
Thumbprint cookies
Strawberry cupcakes
Berry cheesecake trifle
Nanny K's chocolate silk pie

Nanny K is 96 years old....and an incredible old-timey Southern country cook.  :drool:
All my life, at every holiday, we've had yeast rolls from a recipe that's been in the family for over a hundred years. Since we discovered Sister Schubert, the homemade rolls have been few and far between. I hate to give up an old tradition to Big Roll, but they're amazingly good.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
All my life, at every holiday, we've had yeast rolls from a recipe that's been in the family for over a hundred years. Since we discovered Sister Schubert, the homemade rolls have been few and far between. I hate to give up an old tradition to Big Roll, but they're amazingly good.

For over 20 years, I made a yeast roll similar to a croissant, for every holiday.

Then I discovered Sister Schubert.

Homemade yeast rolls.... :lmao:  Not when I can pop 3 pans of these in the oven and have wonderful hot rolls in 15 minutes!!! I put them in straight from the freezer into a 350 oven for 15 minutes, they are just lightly browned and very soft inside. Then brush them with melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven.  :drool: :drool:

The only homemade yeast rolls I still make are cinnamon rolls and caramel pecan sticky buns.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »

and what did the grown-ups drink?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »
and what did the grown-ups drink?

milk....it was at noon.  :tongue: