Author Topic: This has to be a DUmmy  (Read 504 times)

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
This has to be a DUmmy
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
I was getting ready to download the audio version of a book that I have always loved. It is a biography (with some liberties taken) of Cynthia Ann Parker (she was the mother of the last free war chief of the Comanchie) and although not always historically accurate it does paint a good picture of life with the plains Indians. The pretty and not so pretty parts. But a good read none the less.

It seems that Jennifer got her panties in a wad due to the accurate depiction.

If you like gruesome details of tortures inflicted on whites by Indians and vice versa, this is the book for you -- no bloody or hideous act is left undescribed. I kept looking for a story, and there is a sketchy one, but only enough to hang the blood, guts and torture on...
While I've read many books about Native Americans and this time period, this is the first one that seemed to be totally obsessed with detailing every horror. I didn't expect that to be left out, but I did expect more of a story line and details that didn't include blood.....
http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B0036NENT2
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline jukin

Re: This has to be a DUmmy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Sandy vagina that one, yes.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:28 PM »
From the time they were discovered in the 15th century, until they were under control and nearly extinct in the early 20th century, Indians were referred to as "savages". That word was used, by the people who actually had to deal with them, for close to 500 years. To expect anything but gruesome behavior from savages is foolish. The current politically correct view of the noble savage is held exclusively by people more than a century removed from any chance for direct experience.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
From the time they were discovered in the 15th century, until they were under control and nearly extinct in the early 20th century, Indians were referred to as "savages". That word was used, by the people who actually had to deal with them, for close to 500 years. To expect anything but gruesome behavior from savages is foolish. The current politically correct view of the noble savage is held exclusively by people more than a century removed from any chance for direct experience.

Seeing as I am 1/4 Indian I guess I am gonna have to scalp you!!  <insert war dance smiley here>

:-) :-) :-)
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi