Author Topic: primitives turn on Pennsylvania Democrat congressman  (Read 767 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives turn on Pennsylvania Democrat congressman
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:12:13 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=108x133102

Oh my.

The "ideological purity" thing again.

question everything  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:24 AM
Original message

Liberal Democrats Turn on One of Party's 'Blue Dogs'

Carney Is Opposed For Backing Bush On Surveillance Bill

FACTORYVILLE, Pa. -- In 2006, liberal and centrist Democrats put aside longstanding differences to support candidates across the political spectrum in pursuit of the party's first congressional majority in 12 years. Now, as Democrats have grown confident about expanding that majority, old fissures are re-emerging as some left-leaning activists once again emphasize loyalty to their ideas over loyalty to the party.

One of the first big battlegrounds is in northeastern Pennsylvania, where liberal bloggers who boosted Rep. Chris Carney's 2006 upset win over a four-term Republican incumbent have this year turned against the freshman Democrat, actively campaigning for his defeat in November. Upset by Mr. Carney's advocacy of President George W. Bush's domestic-surveillance legislation, his former supporters have attacked him with television, radio and newspaper ads as he faces a tough re-election fight against millionaire Republican Chris Hackett.

(snip)

Mr. Carney's liberal detractors haven't endorsed his Republican challenger but say they wouldn't be bothered if the seat turned Republican once again. "Our goal is to attach a real price to the type of things Chris Carney is doing. If that means he ends up losing, then so be it," said Glenn Greenwald, a columnist at Salon magazine and one of the organizers behind the effort. "I would rather see a smaller majority but fewer Blue Dogs than a big majority with the Blue Dogs in charge.".. "We're not just Democrats, we're progressives. We're not about getting the leadership of the Democratic party more power," explains online activist Howie Klein of Blue America, which has raised more than $1 million since he co-founded it in 2005. "Blue America is about better Democrats, not more Democrats."

(snip)

When Mr. Carney joined 20 Blue Dogs this spring in pushing House leadership to approve domestic-surveillance legislation that protected telecommunications companies from prosecution, Blue America formed a fund to "get even" with Democrats like him. Mr. Carney said his firsthand experience with military intelligence convinced him of the importance of the domestic spying program.

(snip)

Blue America has also spent $30,000 on robocalls and ads against Majority Leader Steny Hoyer this year to try to "soften him up" for a 2010 challenger in his Maryland district. The group has spent thousands against Democratic Rep. John Barrow in Georgia as well but curtailed spending when internal polls showed Mr. Barrow was "not vulnerable enough."

Oh my.

David Dunham  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:25 AM
Response to Original message

1. Stupid -- only a Blue Dog could win in Carney's conservative district

Uh-huh.

countmyvote4real  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 01:23 AM
Response to Reply #1

7. And with Blue dogs like Carney, who needs Republicans?

Same thing. Maybe the district will eventually figure it out. (I'm not hopeful.)

Well.....there's little things such as who controls Congress.  Any (D) helps assure that.

BrklynLiberal  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:32 AM

2. More power to Blue America

question everything  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:47 AM
Response to Reply #2

5. I'd rather have the majority than "stick to principles"

This is how a group loses elections, more and more, until it has no power at all.

Politics is the art of compromise.

After all, if they are against this guy who voted for the wiretapping, why not go against Obama?

Uh-huh.

DCKit  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:34 AM

3. Blue Dogs/Dinos on notice.   

It'll be a shame to lose any (D) seats, and I'd have preferred they wait for another election cycle, but it is inevitable if we are to have a truly representative Congress.

It still hurts.

Hmmm.  The capitol feline must be optimistic for Republican control of Congress soon, then.

depakid  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:39 AM

4. Good! the quicker the Dems get rid of the cancer in their own party the better for EVERYONE involved. Including the people in the so called "blue dogs" own districts.

The cancer in the Democrat party are the Obamaites and Obamaite primitives; the sooner it's excised, the better for the Democrat party and for America.

Frances  (1000+ posts) Tue Aug-19-08 12:49 AM

6. Been there, done that

When the Repubs defeated socially conservative Dems I thought that the liberal Dems would be able to hold the majority. That didn't happen. The Repubs took over Congress and things were much worse!

Uh, much worse for whom?
apres moi, le deluge