Author Topic: I've been working in Asia these past 2 weeks  (Read 1652 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I've been working in Asia these past 2 weeks
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
Star Member The Polack MSgt (1,272 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/10028938531

I've been working in Asia these past 2 weeks

12 Days in the Republic of Korea and the next 4 in Japan.

While in the ROK I used the KTX high speed rail system to get around the peninsula, its very impressive. Truthfully, the whole country impressed me.

I was last on the R.O.K. 31 years ago as young newly minted Staff Sergeant. Back then the country was building maniacally to host the Summer Olympics, but the infrastructure was not great - Uneven may be the best description.

Not any more. I went to several areas in the Southeast (Pohang and Gyeongju) and Northwest to work (Incheon Seoul and Tongducheon) and I was impressed.

Back to the train though - How would you like to live in a nation where you can go 256 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes for $70. Comfortably, safely and with tasty snacks? Hahaha. We can't...

We can't because Republicans say we can't - there is no other reason. It's a tired trope that remains true, government can't work if half of the government is sabotaging everything.

The only time the GOP cares about infrastructure is when they can shovel pork filled contracts to their donors.

Every time I travel to functional nations I want to cry about the state of our great nation - being crippled by a willfully ignorant greedy cabal more interested in establishing a hereditary Gentry/Serf feudal society than it is about moving us forward

:thatsright:

Star Member The Polack MSgt (1,272 posts)
7. Not to mention the quality of the wireless communications

I have to believe that Americans in general just don't know how badly we are being ripped off on the price and quality of the communications/data network in America

:whatever:

NewJeffCT (44,325 posts)
5. I was just in China and took the high speed rail twice as well

Went from Nanjing to Xi'An. It's about 600 miles by train. With a 30 minute stop along the way, along with a few other brief stops, it was about 4 or 4.5 hours to get there. Not a bump, rattle or shake the entire route. Even airplane wouldn't be that quick - it's a little under 2 hours for the flight, but considering you need to get to the airport at least an hour ahead of time and then need to check and pick up baggage, it ends up being more time. (You just bring your bags onto the train...) And, it's way more comfortable.

Previously, we went from Shanghai to Nanjing - a little over 200 miles in about an hour on HSR. Because of a reservation mistake, they also put us in first class for the trip. I'm sure for a plane, we would have been bumped to the next flight and arrived even later. I barely slept a wink on the flights from Hartford to Chicago and then to Shanghai. However, as soon as I hit that comfy reclining first class seat, I fell asleep for the entire hour.

betsuni (4,623 posts)
12. Yes, such a shame.

In my neighborhood (in Japan), there's a bus terminal down the street, subway stop three blocks away, train station a fifteen minute walk. I can walk to do most of my shopping, sidewalks everywhere because people walk and ride bikes. Yesterday during a drive to the countryside, from the highway I saw local trains connecting all the little towns along the cherry blossom-lined river. Compared to the States, these towns are amazingly healthy (although because of the low birth rate fewer young people than old of course). There's still manufacturing (both small and large factories), small farms (and gardens), generations living together, healthy food. I've noticed many solar power fields in the last couple of years. My husband's young niece and nephew love their town, never want to leave and no reason they have to. The middle class is alive and well.

Oh, and last week I went to a local clinic. Didn't have an appointment, took a number, waited about 20 minutes to see a doctor. Visit and medicine cost around sixteen dollars.

Star Member defacto7 (7,494 posts)
31. what a great story... a great dream...

Last edited Sun Apr 16, 2017, 10:34 PM - Edit history (1)

and the sad reality for the US. Thoughts of what we could have been go though my mind all the time... high speed rail, the end of fostle fuel, unlimited health care for all. I'll never see it if it ever comes about but I hope my kids or their kids will be able to realize that potential.

Star Member DFW (23,377 posts)
43. Here in Europe, fast trains are THE preferred means of intercity travel

I haven't taken a plane between Brussels and Düsseldorf in probably 15 years or more. I used to sometimes take the commuter plane because it took only 35 minutes, and the train between Köln and Brussels used to take 3 hours, plus the extra half hour from Köln on to Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf to Frankfurt used to take almost 3 hours as well.

Now, the run from Köln to Brussels takes only an hour an 47 minutes, and Köln-Frankfurt just 80 minutes. Düsseldorf to Paris has been reduced to under 4 hours. It isn't worth the hassle of flying any more, as the CDG airport is far from the city, and traffic in Paris is so crazy that it makes more sense to take the train the whole way unless the half hour saved is so extremely vital. The nonstop Paris-Brussels run has now also been reduced from 3 hours to 80 minutes.

Chris Christie was right that it would cost a fortune to upgrade our rail infrastructure. He is wrong to say it isn't worth it. Few things would be more worthwhile.

Star Member LiberalLovinLug (5,773 posts)
53. I weep at what America could have looked like today

If there hadn't been allowed such a take-over by the top .1% over the last 40 years or so. Where most all new money was redistributed upwards. Some of the blame going to the Clinton led "third way" and "triangulation" that was set on out-Republicaning the Republicans, that pushed it was better to join 'em than fight 'em. Add to that an out-of-control MIC spending train, even before Trump came in.

The richest country in the world should by now have a high-speed rail system from coast to coast. They should have some form of medicare for all (to afford the initial startup period), maternity leave, a livable minimum wage, much more spent on public education including healthy meal programs and classroom computers, and new buildings. As well, instead of killing the electric car back in the seventies, America could have been so far ahead of the game in that industry. Same thing as what is happening with the alternative energy industry, with outright denial of any need or future market for that and minimal investment, and instead doubling down on coal and oil, other countries will leap frog ahead, if they haven't already.

:yawn:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: I've been working in Asia these past 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
"NewJeffCT" needs to get his watch repaired.. BTW, China is just one time zone, so time zones don't have to be figured in to arrive at net travel time.

Traveling by plane takes less than half the real time by train, and half the time "NewJeffCT" claims.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
 So to travel  250  Miles in 2 1/2 hours would take almost 30 hours to travel across this country.   Hey 250 miles only gets me halfway across the state.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »
Are these DUmmies aware that they are free to move to any one of those lovely countries that put Amerikka to shame.  :whatever:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
Back to the train though - How would you like to live in a nation where you can go 256 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes for $70. Comfortably, safely and with tasty snacks? Hahaha. We can't...

Costs me less to go in less time in the puddle jumper to San Franfago. Not impressed.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Undies

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »
53. I weep........

Why can't you drama queens just plain CRY like everybody else?

Offline hillneck

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »
Star Member The Polack MSgt (1,272 posts)
Every time I travel to functional nations I want to cry about the state of our great nation - being crippled by a willfully ignorant greedy cabal more interested in establishing a hereditary Gentry/Serf feudal society than it is about moving us forward

Well DUmmie, feel free at any time to stay in those countries.  Just do the rest of us a favor and stay.   :bigbird:
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:13:40 PM »
More trains!! the DUmmy refrain.  Long as the track is made of :

Who cares.  :rofl:  And who the heck is John Galt anyway?    :fuelfire:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
Are these DUmmies aware that they are free to move to any one of those lovely countries that put Amerikka to shame.  :whatever:

Well DUmmie, feel free at any time to stay in those countries.  Just do the rest of us a favor and stay.   :bigbird:

What 67 Rover and Hillneck said.  I bet we could get all get together, donate the money and put you dummies on the plane/ship/bus whatever to get there.  As long as you don't come back.... ever.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
Dear stupid DUmmie retards, consider population density.  The only places in the US that have population densities comparable to the places you're talking about are the Northeast Corridor, Coastal Southern California, and parts of peninsular Florida.  Guess what, there are large public transit nets in places that have the population density to support it.  What does NOT make sense is to build supertrain lines across hundreds of miles of smaller cities, towns, farmland, deserts, and mountains to connect any two of hundreds of major metro areas, such as connecting Philly or NYC to the northern Ohio cities and Chicago, or Frisco or LA to Las Vegas.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 07:51:48 PM »
And yet the drunken monkey DUmmys have not yet vacated America to go live out their fantasies in these sardine can "democracies."

Here is one more GTFO DILLIGAF to their sorry posteriors.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Quote from:
The Polack MSgt

We can't because Republicans say we can't - there is no other reason.

Trying to recall Clinton or Obama pushing legislation for high speed rail across the USA, especially when they both had a fully compliant Dem congress.

So if the Dems are all for it, why didn't they press hard for it?

This primitive is the reason Polack jokes exist.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:36:10 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Dear stupid DUmmie retards, consider population density.  The only places in the US that have population densities comparable to the places you're talking about are the Northeast Corridor, Coastal Southern California, and parts of peninsular Florida.  Guess what, there are large public transit nets in places that have the population density to support it.  What does NOT make sense is to build supertrain lines across hundreds of miles of smaller cities, towns, farmland, deserts, and mountains to connect any two of hundreds of major metro areas, such as connecting Philly or NYC to the northern Ohio cities and Chicago, or Frisco or LA to Las Vegas.

:II:  ....and there it is.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 03:46:35 AM »
High speed rail could be the stupidest of the DUmbasses holy grails.
Even the few places it might be population viable it still would likely lose money.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 05:14:49 AM »
What 67 Rover and Hillneck said.  I bet we could get all get together, donate the money and put you dummies on the plane/ship/bus whatever to get there.  As long as you don't come back.... ever.

No plane, but I'd chip in for a bus ticket to China or Korea (either end)...   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 05:23:55 AM »
High speed rail could be the stupidest of the DUmbasses holy grails.
Even the few places it might be population viable it still would likely lose money.

Ex. Amtrack.

DUmmies and government couldn't run an extension cord across a room without f'n it up...
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »

Exactly! In Korea and Japan the "bullet" trains make relatively short point-to-point runs (with few, if any, stops between) in densely populated areas. The Schwarzenegger-Moonbeam Folly would run 500-600 miles - LA to SF and San Jose via the Central Valley (not at all a direct route) - with several stops in the Central Valley. The Central Valley, which is some 400 miles of the route, is not densely populated, and every Central Valley stop would slow down the net speed of the "bullet" train. IOW, the Schwarzenegger-Moonbeam Folly would do just about everything wrong that could be done wrong. And in the end, flights between the 3 LA & Orange County airports and the 3 SF Bay Area airports will be much quicker.

The Schwarzenegger-Moonbeam Folly, if not euthanized, would turn out to be a hugemongous boondoggle, from construction costs overruns through annual enormous operating deficits.

And let me repeat more briefly what I posted above. Either "NewJeffCT " lied about the train time from Nanjing to Xian or he needs to get his watch repaired/replaced. There are no trains on that route with a schedule time less than 4:46; his claim of 4-4.5 hours is false. OTOH, by plane the trip is ~2 hours.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:55 AM »
53. I weep at what America could have looked like today

If there hadn't been allowed such a take-over by the top .1% over the last 40 years or so. Where most all new money was redistributed upwards. Some of the blame going to the Clinton led "third way" and "triangulation" that was set on out-Republicaning the Republicans, that pushed it was better to join 'em than fight 'em. Add to that an out-of-control MIC spending train, even before Trump came in.

The richest country in the world should by now have a high-speed rail system from coast to coast.
The richest country in the world was busy protecting the rest of the world from the communists and other threats.

Another point. Most of the HST plans I heard about all have one major flaw that makes them slower than cars, all the stops at points between the beginning and end of the rail line. A 3 hour trip turns into a 5 hour trip because of the stops to let people on or off.

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
The richest country in the world was busy protecting the rest of the world from the communists and other threats.

Another point. Most of the HST plans I heard about all have one major flaw that makes them slower than cars, all the stops at points between the beginning and end of the rail line. A 3 hour trip turns into a 5 hour trip because of the stops to let people on or off.

Maybe we could resurrect the old mail delivery system used many years ago to avoid all the stopping for passengers to disembark.  I think it involved a hook and some rope or something.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »
What an utterly ridiculous notion.  How completely absurd!

Like a DUmmie is going to work.  Sheesh.  No bongs.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »
[...] the end of fostle fuel [...]
:rotf:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »
Maybe we could resurrect the old mail delivery system used many years ago to avoid all the stopping for passengers to disembark.  I think it involved a hook and some rope or something.

"Bullet" train advocates should be the test subjects.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 07:26:12 AM »
"Bullet" train advocates should be the test subjects.

DUmmie bullet train
[youtube]https://youtu.be/-Y1Teqt4-0s[/youtube]
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline sneakypete

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »

That's nothing. All you have to do is go into North Korea,and you will have traveled 75 years into the past in less than a few minutes.
In the entire history of the world,the only nations that had to build walls to keep their own citizens from leaving were those with leftist governments.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »
How would you like to live in a nation where you can go 256 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes for $70. Comfortably, safely and with tasty snacks? Hahaha. We can't...

How about 300-350 miles from the SF Bay Area to the Los Angeles area in less time and for a similar price?

Seriously! Have these DU-morons ever used Google before posting stoooopid outlandish claims? And trust me, I'd rather go to SJC than to the San Jose-Diridon main train station. And LA main train station (where the Schwarzenegger-Moonbeam Folly starts/ends) vs. LAX or Orange County?!