Author Topic: A revolution...but look who is leading it.  (Read 906 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
A revolution...but look who is leading it.
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »
tannybogus  (148 posts)       Fri Aug-01-08 01:34 PM
Original message http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3419731
Urging drilling, House GOP members refuse to leave floor for recess
 Advertisements [?]Source: The Raw Story

In a dramatic protest aimed at urging Congress to vote to drill for more oil within the US, House Republicans are refusing to leave the House floor despite a vote to adjourn the chamber early Friday afternoon.

Politico reports:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats adjourned the House and turned off the light and killed the microphones, but Republicans are still on the floor talking gas prices.

Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders opposed the motion to adjourn the House, arguing that Pelosi's refusal to schedule a vote allowing offshore drilling is hurting the American economy. They have refused to leave the floor after the adjournment motion passed at 11:23 a.m. and are busy bashing Pelosi and her fellow Democrats for leaving town for the August recess.

At one point, the lights went off in the House and the microphones were turned off in the chamber, meaning Republicans were talking in the dark. But as Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz..) was speaking, the lights went back on, and the microphones have been turned on as well.

Read more: http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Urging_drilling_House_GOP...

:rotf: Yeah, Baby! Yeah!

Epiphany4z (1000+ posts)       Fri Aug-01-08 01:45 PM
Response to Original message
9. waa waa waa
 give us are way or we will hold our breath!!!

I am pretty sure that this was supposed to be sarcastic............but.....maybe not.

tsegat01  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-01-08 01:56 PM
13. They certainly are theatrical, aren't they?
 Reminds me of their "walk out" a while back, when they conveniently had a podium and the press waiting for them outside.

If these people would put as much energy into governing as they do game playing, we might get some problems solved.

And the republicans accuse the Democrats of stagecraft!!

reminds me of the dems having a session in a ****ing closet...

Winebrat  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-01-08 04:03 PM
Response to Reply #14
33. They want IMMEDIATE profits higher stock prices will bring.
 If this bill passes oil and drilling stocks are going through the roof. Anybody with large holdings or bonuses tied to stock prices (CEOs) will make a fortune.
They don't give a rat's ass about reserves 20 years from now. They want their money now. 

Now that is why, children, we don't let the DUmmies run shit.

Overseas  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-01-08 02:18 PM
19. Great campaign videos! This guy stayed late to do the oil companies' bidding. /eom

I am pretty sure the American people are going to see the dems refusing to talk about a solution, taking their ball and going home like spoild little children

humbled_opinion (1000+ posts)       Fri Aug-01-08 05:06 PM
39. RANT ON.....
 I guess everyone on this board is Rich, because I certainly have a problem with the gas at its current price. I have been programmed in an establishment that has made me a slave to gas. This is not my fault, there are no alternatives... I drive a 1999 Honda civic 4cyl.... I have 4 kids and make 35k per year...

My kids have to eat and for the that I have to work and for that I have to use gas if there was an affordable alternative to that then I would get it so ... To be honest I don't care what congress does to get the price down they just need to do something... Drill, Tax the Oil Companies, Raise the taxes on the Richer people... This Gas Tax hike, Gas Premium, Gas Windfall, Opec cartel driven, Wall Stree Speculators price at the pump has seriously caused me to cut back on Food for my Family.

Do whatever it takes to offset the price of Oil so that I can get to work and not have to take the very milk out of my kids cereal bowls to do it...

Why isn't our leadership taking care of people like me on this issue. The Democrats are supposed to help the little guy like me... How come not one politician is talking about subsidizing the lower income folks gas....

I will file for Gas stamps or gas cards whatever.... All you stuck up rich folks just keep paying the 4 or 5 or 6 or 10 dollar a gallon gas... Take your money and buy the carbon credits or whatever it is to make the environment better or the global warming end... Use that money and reduce those of us who's income bracket isn't up there down to a 1 or 2 per gallon .... Do whats fair and do whats right...

Not one single initiative that any politician has put forth is doing anything to lower the price of gas 1 cent....

And believe me when I tell you I am a 100 percent registered voting Democrat always have been but this Issue is going to break me.... and I may have to vote for the person that speaks to my needs.

AND....tombstone...

magellan  (1000+ posts)      Fri Aug-01-08 05:52 PM
Response to Reply #43
45. So you think locking ourselves into futile and costly efforts
 ...that won't do diddly-squat in the long run is justified if it lowers prices in the short term?

How about instead we go after the people who are artificially raising oil prices to get what they want?

I agreed with you on the need for Congress to do something. But I absolutely don't agree that using a garden hose on a forest fire is helpful. The oil companies have plenty of places they could be drilling right now. And there are alternative technologies available today that could make an enormous difference -- if we had leadership willing to stop bending over to protect the oil barons.

humbled_opinion (1000+ posts)       Fri Aug-01-08 06:17 PM
Response to Reply #45
49. No What I said is
 Our party has controlled congress for going on 2 years now. They saw this train wreck coming and have Done nothing. NOTHING... Complaining about the oil companies profits or chastising them for not drilling on open land is not fixing the problem which is the cost of gas at the pump....

The Repukes use the issue as a politicial wedge but when the Democratic leadership says they won't even entertain the idea of drilling more oil it sets the markets up for increased prices. Speculators wont sell oil contracts short when they know no new oil is coming on to the market. So my business question is this

What does it hurt to open all of our land to drilling?

Using your own logic the oil companies won't drill on it anyway since they aren't drilling on open land now.... So there must be more to the issue then the simple logic you are trying to imply.

and in the mean time while we wait, wait, wait, for some miracle replacement for Cars.... Which by the way there are over 150 million of on the road in use in America and so here is some more simple logic.... Even if you came up with the super deluxe water powered vehicle today and put it to market and replaced cars at a rate of 1 million per year (well you do the math) So in the mean time my family has to suffer with the high prices and cut costs elsewhere.

Now back to my original suggestion. Congress needs to pass a law that subsidizes lower income people's cost of gasoline. When Oprah and me pay the same amount for a gallon of gas which we both have the same exact need for then there is a problem in America. Nationalize it do whatever it takes but doing nothing is criminal and sorry to say it but Pelosi is doing nothing.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!