Author Topic: appeasing canine primitive's husband ruins carpet  (Read 835 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
appeasing canine primitive's husband ruins carpet
« on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:08 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x6641

Nevilledog  Donating Member  (405 posts) Wed Jul-16-08 03:09 AM
Original message

Carpet Cleaning DISASTER..... help!

My beloved husband decided to surprise me by cleaning the carpet in the living room. Unfortunately, he'd never used a carpet cleaner before and spent about an hour laying down water and solution on the carpet and not doing the whole drag the machine backwards and suck up the water. Anyhow, the carpet was soaked and although we ran the machine the correct way for quite a while to suck up excess water and used every damn towel in the house to soak up even more water, the carpet was still very wet. We opened up the windows but the carpet just wouldn't seem to dry. Now about 5 days have passed, it feels dry, but there is an overwhelming musty smell that is stinking up the entire house. Hubby went into the crawlspace and couldn't see any sign that water leaked through.

We're in Arizona, which is usually so dry, but this is monsoon season for us and it has rained 4 out of the 5 days that this carpet disaster has been going on.

Okay.....here's the question. Are we screwed? Any way to save this carpet and get rid of the musty smell? Hubby is really beating himself up over this. Poor guy.

Well, usually if one's trying something unfamiliar to him, it's useful to read the instruction manual first.

AZDemDist6  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 11:47 AM
Response to Original message

1. too bad you didn't post the first day, you have probably ruined the pad

if you are quick, you can pull up a big corner and get big fans on the pad and dry it out.

I fear this will be an expensive "surprise gift"

sorry

Nevilledog  Donating Member  (405 posts) Wed Jul-16-08 12:34 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Hindsight is always 20/20....sigh

The weather has been so nice and cool that we've had all the windows open and it really didn't start to smell until about 3 days later. I, personally, would like to replace the carpet anyway. It's a very light colored short shag that does not work well with 2 dogs. Since we paid off our house last month I've been putting together a list of improvements I want to do and replacing the carpet is right near the top. I'm fine with replacing the carpet, but I just wish I could fix this so my hubby doesn't feel so bad about screwing it up.

AZDemDist6  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 12:37 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. thank him for giving you the perfect excuse for new flooring

I ripped all my carpet out of my AZ house with the dogs. between the dust and the doghair, hard floors seemed the best bet. area rugs went down in winter and were rolled up in summer and were easy to change when they got trashed or we wanted a new look.

just a thought......

Nevilledog  Donating Member  (405 posts) Wed Jul-16-08 03:04 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Most of the house is saltillo tiles

The living room is where we have the tv, the fireplace, the comfy couch and chairs...a very cozy place in the winter, so I'm kinda keen on keeping that room carpeted, but I want a berber type carpet. Plus, we have a 15 year old Old English sheepdog with an arthritic hip and he finds it easier to get up and down with the carpet...or maybe, it doesn't hurt as much when he falls on the carpet versus the tile...lol.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-16-08 04:28 PM
Response to Reply #2

5. He's given you the excuse to get rid of the carpet because treating the carpet, the underpad and the subfloor for mold (which is what stinks) gets terribly expensive. It's far cheaper for you to start cutting the carpet out yourselves now, bleaching the subfloor, and picking out something that is more appropriate for you and the dogs and getting it professionally laid.

Just wear masks when you're pulling up the carpet. Some varities of mold can be pretty nasty.

This is an expensive lesson in reading directions before you run rented equipment!

You know, one has some admiration for the common sense of the warped primitive.  Too bad the warped primitive can't apply that common sense to politics, too.

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (958 posts) Wed Jul-16-08 08:45 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. Hi,three years in Az.

did my apprenticeship there. Over at the tool rental place,rent the same kind of high pressure blower the pro's use for water damaged areas/rugs.

Pull back the carpet away from at least two walls, completely away from the nailer's on the edges. Stick the high pressure blower under the carpet. The pad is usually replaced/or do the carpet, than the pad. You may need the blower for two or three days.

The folks at the tool rental place will fill your husband in on the details. It can be fixed.

Camel back mountain!

Nevilledog  Donating Member  (405 posts) Thu Jul-17-08 03:32 PM
Response to Reply #6

8. I'm up in Prescott.

And up in the nice mountains and much cooler **cough** weather. Heck, I think it's only gonna be 100 today...LOL Sounds like you know what you're talking about as far as trying to save the carpet, but honestly, it's the carpet that was in the house when we bought it, it's way too light in color, doesn't seem like very good quality and we were planning on replacing it in the next couple of years anyway. BUT... I will show my hubby this post and give him the option of trying to save the carpet. I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning so I'm not planning on doing anything but lay in bed, watch old movies and be pampered this weekend. If he wants to mess with the carpet he's welcome to try...LOL

Nevilledog  Donating Member  (405 posts) Thu Jul-17-08 03:28 PM
Response to Reply #5

7. Hmmmm.... it has stopped smelling.

I've had two fans running in the room for the last 2 days. I went out this morning to go peruse some new carpeting and when I got bad I swear to God that carpet doesn't stink anymore. I put my nose right in the damn thing. I'm shocked..... but, I found some carpet I really like so maybe hubby won't notice it stopped smelling...LOL

Wash. state Desk Jet  Donating Member  (958 posts) Thu Jul-17-08 05:35 PM
Response to Reply #7

9. I lived in Phoenix

And I do know what you mean. 100 degrees. I noted you have a new carpet in mind,and the suggestion is with reguards to his feeling bad about it.

Really the pad must go, but he would see that drying it out anyway.

He would than determine ,if the pad must go,why put back the old carpet after that! It wouldn't make sense at all!

Renting the fan would buy him time to weather the expense of the new carpet which you want and your house needs anyway. And in the process,something is learned by it! For a guy, tool rental places are cool places to visit anyway! It's rather like a fun house ,you know, the state fair! It makes one think of all the cool things one might do ,if ever I get around to it!

It kind of like a fountain in the middle of a shopping mall on a very hot day,the fountain is huge,it is art,the water flows down into the fountain and it reminds you of cool, makes one think cool= soothing feeling! Like a new carpet!

I suspect he wants you to have that new carpet!

Dover  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Jul-17-08 06:54 PM
Response to Original message

10. There are professionals with a lot of experience in reviving carpets and rugs from flood/water damage. You might call around.

So sorry. I'm sure your Hubby must feel so badly that his good deed turned 'sour'. Big hug for him.
apres moi, le deluge