Author Topic: household fuses  (Read 11942 times)

Offline MrsSmith

Re: household fuses
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
He also suggested I quit buying electrical appliances at antique stores.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:  You should take that advice, frank!!!   :lmao:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:  You should take that advice, frank!!!   :lmao:

I had taken apart, but not yet thrown away, the hot-water vaporizer.

When I showed it to him, he swore it's older than either of us.

He pointed out the two metal pieces that were never supposed to touch each other, but did, causing the fuse to blow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:56 PM »
I had taken apart, but not yet thrown away, the hot-water vaporizer.

When I showed it to him, he swore it's older than either of us.

He pointed out the two metal pieces that were never supposed to touch each other, but did, causing the fuse to blow.
Yeah, that'll do it, alright.   :-)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »
Glad you got it professionally checked out.

Electricity is one of those things that I want someone that knows what they are doing looking at it....electricity is not for amateurs.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 07:47:19 AM »
It's quite common for folks to buy fuses a little larger than what they are supposed to be. The main reason why is that they have some sort or electrical motor on a particular circuit and the current draw runs as high as 1.414 times the amount it normally does just to start the motor. (I THINK that's the correct number, but I could be wrong). Instead of buying a time delay or slow blow fuse, they just buy a larger capacity to compensate. It's not the RIGHT thing to do, but it gets the circuits working again. What I would recommend is to evaluate your circuits, see which ones have motors on a given circuit, then, use the slow blow fuse in that/those particular circuit(s). The rest of them, I would recommend just using a 20 amp "minibreaker" type fuse. Bear in mind, many circuits have both the lights and the outlets on the same circuit. You'll find that the minibreaker fuses work just like circuit breakers and can be easily reset once the excessive current draw is eliminated.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
The main reason why is that they have some sort or electrical motor on a particular circuit and the current draw runs as high as 1.414 times the amount it normally does just to start the motor. (I THINK that's the correct number, but I could be wrong).

Usually the inrush current is on the order of 2-5X ,or more, of the stated faceplate full load current of a motor (it depends on the load on the motor at startup). Sometimes refered to as locked rotor current. Most fuses/wiring systems are designed for this.
Here at work we use 2X faceplate, and it works fine where we need to make calcs.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline shadow.0000

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Well that is an incredible topic you have posted here... Well thank you so much...