Author Topic: Dem says tax cuts blunted the stimulus  (Read 1156 times)

Offline thundley4

Dem says tax cuts blunted the stimulus
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »
Congress cut taxes by too much and did not include enough money for transportation projects when it passed a $787 billion stimulus bill this year, the Democratic chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee said Monday.

Rep. Jim Oberstar (Minn.) stopped short of saying Congress should move a second stimulus, as some Democrats have recently suggested. But he told The Hill on Monday that lawmakers could create jobs by passing his own big-ticket public-works legislation: a $500 billion surface transportation reauthorization bill.
Oberstar defended the $27 billion in the stimulus for highway and bridge projects as the right amount to help the economy during the next year. However, he said that more transit money in the stimulus would have been helpful to an economic recovery over the next three years, rather than the nearly $300 billion in tax cuts.

“Not many people realize they got a tax cut,” Oberstar said. “I have not received a single e-mail, phone call, snail mail, personal comment from anybody since we enacted this bill, since the end of February, saying, ‘I got my tax’ or ‘Thanks for the tax cut’ or ‘I hardly noticed it’ or anything.
“But I have had people saying, ‘I’m back at work because of the funding in the surface transportation program.’ ”
Stupid effin' DimRat

Hey, thanks for that $7/week tax cut, AHole.  Have you looked at the unemployment numbers lately?  I don't think the Generational Theft Law did anything more than help tank the economy more.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Dem says tax cuts blunted the stimulus
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »
Which tax cuts were those?  Oh, you mean that whopping $9/week increase in my check?  Uh, dude--that's just WITHOLDING that isn't being taken out--it's still the same tax at the end of the year, meaning I'm either getting less of a refund or owe ya'll more at the end of the year when I file.

Only a politician could call this a tax cut.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:23:02 AM »
Which tax cuts were those?  Oh, you mean that whopping $9/week increase in my check?  Uh, dude--that's just WITHOLDING that isn't being taken out--it's still the same tax at the end of the year, meaning I'm either getting less of a refund or owe ya'll more at the end of the year when I file.

Only a politician could call this a tax cut.

Don't forget that DimRats also consider tax cuts to be "spending" on their part.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »
Don't forget that DimRats also consider tax cuts to be "spending" on their part.

You got it! They think what we earn is THEIR ****in' money!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:26:01 AM »
Just a question..

Unless brand new independent private construction/paving companies are employed how does road repair create many new jobs?

Here where I am every municipality has its own road crew...the state highway outpost is a mile from here and the county and town also have their own for their roads.

If they get a bunch of money thrown at them to repave they will simply utilize the already existing workforce.
I can`t imagine anyone forming a paving company having to buy trucks/the paver/rollers etc for what will amount to a couple year project and then it is gone.

If it is a new road being built we all know how that works out...some bustle of activity,the road is finished and with it the jobs and then the locals are left with the tab of maintenance.