Author Topic: Treasury Secretary to Lehman Brothers: We're not bailing you out!  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Treasury Secretary to Lehman Brothers: We're not bailing you out!
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:29:39 PM »
Paulson To Lehman (LEH): We're Not Saving Your Sorry Ass
by Henry Blodget

To our surprise, Hank Paulson is apparently taking a hard line with Lehman (LEH) and the possible buyers looking for a government handout. This may be posturing (Paulson's a good negotiator), but it may also be what it purports to be: The perfectly reasonable position that Lehman had SEVEN MONTHS to get its act together and spent 6.999 of those months in arrogant denial.

CLICKY
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Digger

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Treasury Secretary to Lehman Brothers: We're not bailing you out!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:13:16 AM »
The feds have to stop the bailouts but boy, it looks like I'm going to lose lots of money today.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
Watching the guy from Bank of America saying that the response to the purchase was positive, while the price of BAC is down almost 30%

Come and see the pyramids along denial.

It is going to make the sale of Lehman twice as hard, if investors take it that badly
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
I'm glad the free handout of Taxpayer bucks has found a stopping point, but I'm curious...

What made Lehman different from Freddie and Fannie, Behr Stearns and all the rest that got on the gummint gravy train before Lehman ran into the gate?  Was Lehman Bros. not "too big to be allowed to fail"?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 11:00:30 AM by DefiantSix »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.