Author Topic: 03-02 Texas primary live thread  (Read 6200 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
03-02 Texas primary live thread
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:49:18 PM »
We had the Illinois primaries last month, and now it's Texas' turn.

And then it's a long barren drag untl the May 4, after which there's primaries and run-offs practically every week through September.

Offices up for Election in 2010

Offices  Term

All 32 United States Representatives    2 yr. term
Governor   4 yr. term
Lieutenant Governor   4 yr. term
Attorney General   4 yr. term
Comptroller of Public Accounts   4 yr. term
Commissioner of General Land Office   4 yr. term
Commissioner of Agriculture   4 yr. term
Railroad Commissioner   6 yr. term
  Victor Carrillo

3 members of the Supreme Court   6 yr. term
  Harriet O’Neil, Place 3   
  Paul Green, Place 5   
  Eva Guzman, Place 9   
3 members of the Court of Criminal Appeals   6 year term
  Lawrence Myers, Place 2   
  Cheryl Johnson, Place 5   
  Michael E. Keasler, Place 6   
16 State Senators   4 yr. term
  Districts 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 22, 25, 29   
All 150 State Representatives   2 yr. term
8 Members, State Board of Education   4 yr. term
  Districts 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 12, 15   
Various Court of Appeals Justices   6 yr. term
Various District Judges, Criminal District Judges, Family District Judges   4 yr. term
All Criminal District Attorneys   4 yr. term
All County Judges   4 yr. term
*Statutory County Court Judges   4 yr. term
All District Clerks   4 yr. term
All District and County Clerks   4 yr. term
All County Clerks   4 yr. term
County Treasurers   4 yr. term
County Surveyors   4 yr. term
County Commissioners, Precincts 2 & 4   4 yr. term
Justices of the Peace (except those with a place 1 designation)   4 yr. term   

Of personal interest is that for railway commissioner, in which case the Republican incumbent will probably run against a primitive from Skins's island.  But this is the primary, not the election itself.

I couldn't find a copy-and-pasteable list of candidates.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: 03-02 Texas primary live thread
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
Here is hoping Perry wins by 50+% so we don't have to hear any more commercials for a while.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
I just voted.  There were things on the ballot I didn't expect.  Living in such a small area it wasn't printed in our paper and I never thought to get online to see if I could find a sample ballot.   :thatsright:

They weren't hard to read while I was standing there though.  The one that really surprised me was the voter identification initiative.  Also, the one about the state budget not being able to go up beyond inflation or what the population increase would justify without a vote of the people. 

There were about 20 people at the Republican table and maybe 3 at the Democrat table.  Big turnout for our area.

There ya go.  One Texan vote down .....

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:15:16 AM »
I just voted.  There were things on the ballot I didn't expect.  Living in such a small area it wasn't printed in our paper and I never thought to get online to see if I could find a sample ballot.   :thatsright:

They weren't hard to read while I was standing there though.  The one that really surprised me was the voter identification initiative.  Also, the one about the state budget not being able to go up beyond inflation or what the population increase would justify without a vote of the people. 

There were about 20 people at the Republican table and maybe 3 at the Democrat table.  Big turnout for our area.

There ya go.  One Texan vote down .....

KC

I think it was on this board somewhere, that Republicans had several initiatives on the ballot and the Dims had none.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:41:26 AM »
Yeah, I am pretty sure it was Kay who posted it. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »
I think it was on this board somewhere, that Republicans had several initiatives on the ballot and the Dims had none.

Wish I had seen it.  I'm just glad they weren't worded all funky so you don't know if a vote FOR something is actually a vote AGAINST what you want.  They were pretty easy reading.

Go Kinky!!

:-)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:01:41 PM »
This probably should be a new topic of its own, if mods think so please split this off. But since it pertains only to the Texas primary elections, I thought I'd keep here in this discussion.

Below are the propositions the SREC has put on the primary ballot in case you've not seen them:

The State Republican Executive Committee has placed five propositions on the GOP primary ballot.  These non-binding questions gauge grassroots support on the issues, and will inform our elected officials where the party's most active voters stand on the issues.  Early voting begins Tuesday, February 16, and primary day itself is March 2.  The propositions are below.  Get informed, and get ready to vote!

Ballot Proposition #1: Photo ID
The Texas legislature should make it a priority to protect the integrity of our election process by enacting legislation that requires voters to provide valid photo identification in order to cast a ballot in any and all elections conducted in the State of Texas.
YES or NO

Ballot Proposition #2: Controlling Government Growth
Every government body in Texas should be required to limit any annual increase in its budget and spending to the combined increase of population and inflation unless it first gets voter approval to exceed the allowed annual growth or in the case of an official emergency.
YES or NO

Ballot Proposition #3: Cutting Federal Income Taxes
In addition to aggressively eliminating irresponsible federal spending, Congress should empower American citizens to stimulate the economy by Congress cutting federal income taxes for all federal taxpayers, rather than spending hundreds of billions of dollars on so-called “federal economic stimulus”.
YES or NO

Ballot Proposition #4: Public Acknowledgement of God
The use of the word “God”, prayers, and the Ten Commandments should be allowed at public gatherings and public educational institutions, as well as be permitted on government buildings and property.
YES or NO

Ballot Proposition #5: Sonograms
The Texas Legislature should enact legislation requiring a sonogram to be performed and shown to each mother about to undergo a medically unnecessary, elective abortion.
YES or NO

The primary vote is March 2, 2010. 

here ya go.  It was on the Hey Texan's thread in this forum. 

Go Willie! :hyper:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »
Wish I had seen it.  I'm just glad they weren't worded all funky so you don't know if a vote FOR something is actually a vote AGAINST what you want.  They were pretty easy reading.

Go Kinky!!

KC

Obviously they were written by conservatives that were not trying to hide their agenda, and confuse the voters into voting the way they wanted them to.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:40:46 PM »
Ballot Proposition #2: Controlling Government Growth
Every government body in Texas should be required to limit any annual increase in its budget and spending to the combined increase of population and inflation unless it first gets voter approval to exceed the allowed annual growth or in the case of an official emergency.

YES or NO

When I got to that one I asked the election worker to come help me...... I coudn't find the "Hell Yes!" button!

KC

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:55:13 PM »
When I got to that one I asked the election worker to come help me...... I coudn't find the "Hell Yes!" button!

KC

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »
Election 2010: Texas Republican Primary for Governor
Texas GOP Primary: Perry 48%, Hutchison 27%, Medina 16%

From February 24.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_governor_elections/texas/election_2010_texas_republican_primary_for_governor
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 05:21:50 PM »
I voted Perry.  I didn't decide who I was going to vote for until the last couple of days.

What time do the polls close down there?

I've been googling right-and-left, but as you might imagine with Windows95, there's constant freezes and incompletions on loading pages, especially those sites of television stations.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:05 PM »
What time do the polls close down there?

I've been googling right-and-left, but as you might imagine with Windows95, there's constant freezes and incompletions on loading pages, especially those sites of television stations.

7:00 pm Frank.

KC

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:24:36 PM »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
NOthing yet....

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »

Governor - R
Precincts - 2%   Votes   %Votes
Perry   201,967   51.67%
Hutchison   120,108   30.73%
Medina   68,792   17.60%
Governor - D
White   108,426   77.92%
Shami   14,023   10.08%
Alvarado   5,636   4.05%
Aguado   3,791   2.72%
Dear   2,875   2.07%
Glenn   2,686   1.93%
Locke   1,713   1.23%
Lieutenant Governor - D
Chavez-Thompson   71,885   51.42%
Earle   51,868   37.10%
Katz   16,053   11.48%

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »
John Gay REP 1,363 5.37% 1,364 5.34%
Tim Graney REP 2,685 10.59% 2,704 10.58%
Ron Paul - Incumbent REP 20,229 79.80% 20,389 79.84%
Gerald D. Wall REP 1,072 4.22% 1,079 4.22%
    -----------  ----------- 
Race Total  25,349  25,536 
Precincts Reported  10 of 271 Precincts  3.69%
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 09:55:13 PM »
Hutchison concedes to Perry
By SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS
March 2, 2010
Posted: March 2, 2010, 9:11 PM CST   Last updated: March 2, 2010, 9:36 PM CST

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison has conceded to Gov. Rick Perry, the Assocated Press reported.
Perry had established had held a lead that suggested he would gain more than 50 percent of the vote, avoiding a runoff against Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.
Hutchison polled strongly in the early part of the election season, but her support has slipped. Perry leads the Republican gubernatorial primary with 52 percent of the vote. Hutchison has about 30 percent and Wharton nurse and small business owner Debra Medina has 16 percent of the vote.
With 12 percent of the preciencts reporting, Gov. Rick Perry had 52.5 percent of the votes cast, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison had 30.9 percent of the votes cast and Wharton businesswoman Debra Medina had 16.7 percent.
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/perry_s_lead_suggests_he_can_avoid_run-off_vote.html

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »

Go Kinky!!

KC

Kinky lost.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 11:14:35 PM »
Perry White.

hhhmmmm

I think Victor Carrillo might face a run-off

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »
I was surprised that it wasn't a lot closer between KBH and Perry. I expected he'd win, but I really thought she'd do better than she did. I think that was just another "tea-ish" example of how pissed off everyone is with anybody that has the DC funk on themselves.

I didn't even know that Kinky was running again.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 11:52:37 PM »
I was surprised that it wasn't a lot closer between KBH and Perry. I expected he'd win, but I really thought she'd do better than she did. I think that was just another "tea-ish" example of how pissed off everyone is with anybody that has the DC funk on themselves.

I'm glad that it didn't come down to a run off election between the two of them. That would have been a waste of time and money that is better spent fighting the DimRat opponent.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »
Me too. I'm glad it's over. Mike Conaway is my US Representative. He was winning by 76% last I heard over his two other opponents. Guess we sent him back for a few more years.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 08:15:32 AM »

Well, do you think she got the message?  Haven't heard a peep about her not running for Senate.....like she said she was going to.  Again.