Author Topic: 2010 Campaign Preview: Democrats To Say GOP Still Party Of Bush  (Read 2393 times)

Offline thundley4

2010 Campaign Preview: Democrats To Say GOP Still Party Of Bush
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »
Last week TPMDC explored the conditions that led to the Republican takeover of the House in 1994 and point-by-point detailed why a similar rout in 2010 is unlikely despite a tough political climate.

Today, Rep. Chris Van Hollen who is in charge of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, dismissed potential signs of trouble but stayed on his message that no matter what happens next year members won't be caught unprepared.

He said as confetti was still falling last fall when Barack Obama won the presidency he was warning members they faced a tough mid-year cycle.

"This is not going to be 1994 all over again," Van Hollen told reporters at a briefing at the DNC. "The fundamentals are very different today."

Their strategy: GOP just wants to rewind the clock to Bush era.

"The Republican party in Washington today is no different than the Republican party that ran the Congress before," Van Hollen said.
TalkingPointsMemo

It's a Dim site.  All the more reason to get some fresh conservatives running where possible.

Offline Oceander

Re: 2010 Campaign Preview: Democrats To Say GOP Still Party Of Bush
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »
"The Republican party in Washington today is no different than the Republican party that ran the Congress before," Van Hollen said.

I hope he keeps telling himself - and more importantly, the Democrats - that line of Bull, because the fact of the matter is, the Republican party of 2010 will not be the same party that got kicked out because it was acting too much like a bunch of Democrats.  For one thing, Arlen Specter has already conveniently absented himself.

Offline bkg

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
I hope he keeps telling himself - and more importantly, the Democrats - that line of Bull, because the fact of the matter is, the Republican party of 2010 will not be the same party that got kicked out because it was acting too much like a bunch of Democrats.  For one thing, Arlen Specter has already conveniently absented himself.

As much as I want to agree, I think you are incorrect. GOP is no less conservative on fiscal matters than the libs... 8 years of Bush proved that. And even if they are hearing form their constituents to be fiscally responsible, do you honestly think they'll cut gov't by the 60-75% needed to help get us back to where we need to be to help pay down the debt?

I want to believe it, but frankly, I think the only option is a reset... and the GOP is not the "party" to make that happen. Will they take seats in 2010? Absolutely.. Will they get the debt down, the budget under control and the issues resolved? hell no.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
As much as I want to agree, I think you are incorrect. GOP is no less conservative on fiscal matters than the libs... 8 years of Bush proved that. And even if they are hearing form their constituents to be fiscally responsible, do you honestly think they'll cut gov't by the 60-75% needed to help get us back to where we need to be to help pay down the debt?

I want to believe it, but frankly, I think the only option is a reset... and the GOP is not the "party" to make that happen. Will they take seats in 2010? Absolutely.. Will they get the debt down, the budget under control and the issues resolved? hell no.

I listen to Repubs like Karl Rove and other and I am dismayed that they do not get it. Bush and the Repubs allowed spending to get way out of hand. The critters in DC are not interested in slicing and dicing the budget and eliminating agencies. They are not interested in cutting out the pork. They can give you all kinds of reasons but the facts are they screwed up. It is time to get rid of the whole bunch because they have this fraternity mentality. 

Offline Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Look, first things first - triage - if we don't take control of Congress away from the Democrats in 2010, then this country is ****ed - it will literally go down the toilet, and the best use of your time will be teaching your children how to speak Mandarin so they can understand what their new owners will be saying to them.

Second, Obamacare must be repealed, and it must be repealed as soon as is possible - in January of 2010.  If it is not repealed then, it will become just another part of the scenery, which no one will pay much attention to because it won't really kick everyone in the teeth until 2014, when everyone's current health benefits start getting taken away.  By then, it will have become too entrenched to remove - medicare/medicaid/social security currently have present unfunded liabilities of about $75 trillion dollars - has anyone done anything about that yet?  No, they have not, and if we don't make repeal of Obamacare the first order of business in 2010, then it will never be repealed, and this country will still get ****ed, only just a little slower and more "enjoyably" than if we fail to break the Democrats' control in 2010.

Third, we have to start moving forward with a comprehensive plan to revive the America we've all known since Ronald Reagan rebirthed it in 1980.  That is going to require a lot more hard work than most people seem to think, because it will require that we develop (or rather, rediscover) the overarching intellectual framework that Reagan used to evaluate things like new regulations, or repealing old regulations.  The simple fact of the matter is, some forms of government regulation are good, and unless we have a framework for telling the good from the bad - on the basis of traditional American conservative values - we will in short order revert to the liberal-lite idiots who got us into this mess in the first place - the jackasses who lost Congress in 2006.

None of that will get accomplished if we try to reinvent the political wheel.  A third party is a nonstarter right now; neither we nor the country have the time for it right now, because to engage in that sort of political purity game will literally be the death of the United States right now.

Look, the fundamental fact of the matter is, Republicans are politicians and, as such, are amenable to public pressure - we just have to get a lot more experienced at putting that pressure on them consistently and convincingly, the way that the leftists/liberals have been doing for several decades now.  We also need to broaden out our grassroots efforts - not in order to reinvent the wheel - but to put together enough mass demonstrations on a regular timetable that the Republican politicians get habituated to the fact that we expect them to represent us in the true meaning of the word.

Just because we're out of practice at this sort of bare-knuckles politics does not mean that it can be safely ignored - it has been our very ignorance of this sort of very really politics that has gotten us into such a parlous position in the first place.

So, to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin:  "We must all hang together gentlemen, or we shall most assuredly hang separately."

Offline GOP Congress

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »
The conservative, constitutional American is the sleeping giant. He is slow to react, but when he reacts, it is with vengeance.

I'd like to compare this upcoming year, 2010, with the culminating Conservative/Libertarian congress, with 1994. When we voted the republicans in office in '94, it was in response to the-then abject irresponsibility of the Clinton era. We had a borderline-RINO president, Bush 41, who essentially stopped and reversed his predecessor. But we rested on our laurels, and thought that the media would play fair with us as we were the winners. And the moderate republicans got suckered by the left side, and Clinton, forced to move to the right, was able to recover and beat Dole in '96. The republicans NEVER learned to govern as a majority, and we paid the price. Bigtime. With incrementing totalitarianism throughout the Bush years, especially in Congress, it culminated itself with the Obama win over the worst presidential candidate we had since, well, Dole.

Before moving on to 2010, let me give you the parallel. In World War 1, we entered the war and beat the Germans. But we did not clean up. We did not assert ourselves in the region until the people were allowed to fully stabilize. Think 1918, Armistace Day, as the same as the 1994 Congressional elections.  And we all know what happened. Adolph Hitler became leader.

(Now, there are other reasons that conditions leading up to World War 2 were allowed to foment, mainly because the US stopped engaging in foreign trade to a large degree in the thirties, which affected the economic policies of Germany and the Soviet Union. But I digress for now, as the parallel I am presenting still stands).

And World War 2 was far worse than WW1, especially with the fact we had two major theaters, with 4 significant fronts. But when the war ended, it actually was not the end of hostilities. We had to ensure the people convert to a democracy, which is the purpose of occupation. To this day, there is no way that we can in any way consider Germany or Japan a threat.

But back to the parallel. With the 2010 election, we have to put out the same amount of magnitude in understanding our enemy, the statists. We can't just win and celebrate the victory. We have to GOVERN with our victory. In addition, we have to maintain the process THROUGHOUT the tenure of office. Not just in "running" for office, but in espousing and championing our views, without the temptations that the moderates can fall for in the quest of the left to subvert the democratic process.

We do have advantages this time around. First of all, there is no pretense of a "fair and balanced media," other than Fox. Far more people who aren't died in the woll liberals have a greater cynicism of the Alphabet Soup of Statist media. So, like our WW2 comrades in Europe and Japan, we have to provide the transition, and to champion this transition, of moderate thought of people back to our constitutional principles. And with the media tanking the way it has, along with the fact that the Internet is a far greater force, we can ensure our own representatives and senators have an internalized, genuine conservative/libertarian persona.

And we must continually project this position, not just in Congress, or the presidency, but in the State houses and the state legislatures. In short, we must present a very strong focus of accountability to such principles... much like the military has engendered a strong focus to national security and safety.

Sorry for being so long, but these are just thoughts off the top of my head. Hope this helps.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
I happened to catch Pat Caddell being interviewed by Mark Simone yesterday, while Simone was guest-hosting for Sean Hannity.  For those of us who don't know, Pat Caddell worked in Jimmy Carter's administration, as the pollster.  Caddell was absolutely livid at what the Dems have done with this.  His feeling is that the American people are going for a wholesale change in 2010 that will make 1994 look really small. 

Simone said something to the effect that Caddell has left the Democrat Party based on this.  He went on to say that even though getting rid of the Dems in DC is a "no-brainer," he felt that if any party could fumble this opportunity, it's today's Republican Party.  However, I think that Caddell realizes that if conservatives successfully re-take the Party, the United States of America just might have a chance of survival.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
However, I think that Caddell realizes that if conservatives successfully re-take the Party, the United States of America just might have a chance of survival.

America's chance of survival rests on getting rid of a lot of the current crap of GOP congresscritters, too.