Author Topic: Lamictal - stopping aura's and preventing migraines?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Lamictal - stopping aura's and preventing migraines?
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:22:22 PM »
Anyone tried this med?  It is normally used for epilepsy. I went to the neurologist today and he prescribed it to me but it has a serious side effect (among others that sound terrible too), but if this particular I side effect (rash) he told me to call him immediately because it can have serious complications.

He also ordered an MRI and wrote "Urgent" on the order which kind of makes me nervous  He seems really worried about the pulsating eye thing.   My appt was scheduled for yesterday, doh.  :thatsright:   They worked me in though. I liked him, he took very detailed notes and seemed to want to know all of my past medical issues even if I didn't think they mattered.   

Oh he also told me they can do botox for my foot issue and suggested I try that before I even consider a tendon transfer. He said he felt it could really help and thought I would be satisfied with the results. 

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Lamictal - stopping aura's and preventing migraines?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:57:39 AM »
Anyone tried this med?  It is normally used for epilepsy. I went to the neurologist today and he prescribed it to me but it has a serious side effect (among others that sound terrible too), but if this particular I side effect (rash) he told me to call him immediately because it can have serious complications.

He also ordered an MRI and wrote "Urgent" on the order which kind of makes me nervous  He seems really worried about the pulsating eye thing.   My appt was scheduled for yesterday, doh.  :thatsright:   They worked me in though. I liked him, he took very detailed notes and seemed to want to know all of my past medical issues even if I didn't think they mattered.   

Oh he also told me they can do botox for my foot issue and suggested I try that before I even consider a tendon transfer. He said he felt it could really help and thought I would be satisfied with the results. 
They also prescribe lamictal as a mood stabilizer{my ex took it for a bit but stopped when the rash appeared} very serious drug. The rash you could get is called Steven Johnsons syndrome and it can be fatal and disfiguring. Be careful Julie very good drug but a very strong one as well with really bad possible side effects.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
They also prescribe lamictal as a mood stabilizer{my ex took it for a bit but stopped when the rash appeared} very serious drug. The rash you could get is called Steven Johnsons syndrome and it can be fatal and disfiguring. Be careful Julie very good drug but a very strong one as well with really bad possible side effects.

Thanks Toasted. The dose my doctor prescribed is 25mg for two weeks, 50mg for two weeks then 75mg. From what I've read people who take it for bi-polar or epilepsy take a lot higher dose. I'm afraid to try it. I filled the prescription and it's sitting on my bedside table stalking me.....I'm afraid of it. LOL

After all the meeds I have taken in my life I am most afraid of this one.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
Thanks Toasted. The dose my doctor prescribed is 25mg for two weeks, 50mg for two weeks then 75mg. From what I've read people who take it for bi-polar or epilepsy take a lot higher dose. I'm afraid to try it. I filled the prescription and it's sitting on my bedside table stalking me.....I'm afraid of it. LOL

After all the meeds I have taken in my life I am most afraid of this one.
Yes..the ex took 250mgs i believe.Take it but just pay attention to your skin and how it reacts. If the rash appears stop taking it and call your doctor. Usually when you stop the rash goes away from what i understand.
Call me "Asshole" One more time!