Author Topic: Conservativeunderground.com is currently under a total re-construction.  (Read 18534 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
CU has had crashes almost every year, which explains why there are no posts before 2005. I remember CU was down in 2005 and they had a temporary forum for a couple weeks and was restored with a clean slate.

Nice to know someone over there knows what a f'n backup is.  :uhsure:

I'll be thrilled if all traces of Demonic Underwear is gone forever. 
What and lose all of that dry 'Deep Fried Texas' wisdom !

:-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
:lmao:
Thought you'd like that 'un.    :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Cwho?
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline megimoo

:lmao:
Thought you'd like that 'un.    :uhsure:
Down right stroke of genius !BTW A chicken is a fowl. A poke in the eye is a foul.
You shall be the 101'st lug-nut on a big rig !
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 03:26:28 PM by megimoo »

Offline stickyboot

If all this was planned, as the posts makes it sound, why was it not announced so the members would be aware of the downtime and maybe get excited about the changes?  To just disappear unannouced on a Friday afternoon seems sort of cheesy and now seems plain dishonest.

As someone with a footprint in each location, I felt a little out of the loop when it went black. And I had a flash of deja vu, since I had also recently been with PU, a non-returner.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
Truth is, to this debate between Moo and Undies, they're both correct.

Undies is correct in that it wasn't planned.

Moo is correct in that, if it's already down, might as well upgrade.

Now, where I'm thinking you're missing Undies point, Moo, is that it wasn't planned, yet they're making it seem like it was. No way in hell was this crash planned. That is piss-poor planning on their part.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline megimoo

Now, where I'm thinking you're missing Undies point, Moo, is that it wasn't planned, yet they're making it seem like it was. No way in hell was this crash planned. That is piss-poor planning on their part.
I agree with the evil one, the update wasn't planned and I didn't read that into the posted site statement .

They are trying to make the best of a crappie situation for them that is but from a rational position I don't understand how they could be faulted for a system crash or for piss poor planning.

The servers are in South Carolina or were, unless they they have a new hosting company, and the administartor is in Florida or are you alluding to the fact that they didn't plan for a backup host system like you did ?

As I read the two post crash statements "currently under a total re-construction."and the second " a whole new look and some GREAT new features "it sounds like there was an unplanned system crash and a new software install, ipso facto or as by the deed itself !

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
They are trying to make the best of a crappie situation for them that is but from a rational position I don't understand how they could be faulted for a system crash or for piss poor planning.

Uh, yah. Our server is in Miami. Our two Admins with the ability to do anything about any catastrophic failure are in Augusta, Ga. and Charleston, SC. We have backup plans out the ass. WE, being a director of IT, and me being a defense contractor working and dealing with COOPs, implementation plans, and disaster recovery, knew damn WELL we needed to have a backup in place. We have it. You like posting a lot of shit, do you not read? It's all in THIS thread.

Piss-poor planning. That's the problem that occurred at CU. No, I'm not basking in jubilation here, just stating fact.

Offline Lauri

Thanks Meg, I was wondering WTF was going on.
It looks like they went down for a new software update,this sounds like SARA's post  !

05/06/08: Update! Thing are going great on the site. I’m really excited about the reopening. The site is going to have a whole new look and some GREAT new features. I think everyone is going to be pleased.

just sounds like a redesign to me.. with the main guy having a full time job, it takes time. he isnt paid to run CU..

Offline Lauri

and dont forget; Rob is a one man show basically and he does have a family and a full time job that takes up most of his time.

if he got notice that the server went down, he may not have had that exact moment to respond. he could have been in a meeting and let SR take it offline and post a message to give himself some time to get things smoothed out again.

i seriously doubt he or anyone else is trying to be dishonest .. i think its a time issue; he just doesnt have enough hours in the day to do it.

Offline megimoo

Uh, yah. Our server is in Miami. Our two Admins with the ability to do anything about any catastrophic failure are in Augusta, Ga. and Charleston, SC. We have backup plans out the ass. WE, being a director of IT, and me being a defense contractor working and dealing with COOPs, implementation plans, and disaster recovery, knew damn WELL we needed to have a backup in place. We have it. You like posting a lot of shit, do you not read? It's all in THIS thread.

Piss-poor planning. That's the problem that occurred at CU. No, I'm not basking in jubilation here, just stating fact.
I read just fine thank you and I shall endeavor to post much less shit as you put it !
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:21:05 PM by megimoo »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
and dont forget; Rob is a one man show basically and he does have a family and a full time job that takes up most of his time.

if he got notice that the server went down, he may not have had that exact moment to respond. he could have been in a meeting and let SR take it offline and post a message to give himself some time to get things smoothed out again.

i seriously doubt he or anyone else is trying to be dishonest .. i think its a time issue; he just doesnt have enough hours in the day to do it.

Probably another aspect in piss-poor planning. Having no one there that can step up when you're gone. I have a family and a full-time job as well.

Like I said, there is no excuse for this and to play it off as "planned" is dishonest to say the least. Maybe instead of promoting that ****ing idiot Gator to be an Admin, he should have chose someone with a little IT experience.

Offline Lauri

Probably another aspect in piss-poor planning. Having no one there that can step up when you're gone. I have a family and a full-time job as well.

Like I said, there is no excuse for this and to play it off as "planned" is dishonest to say the least. Maybe instead of promoting that ******* idiot Gator to be an Admin, he should have chose someone with a little IT experience.

yeah, it definitely shouldnt have been a surprise and servers are not all that difficult to maintain unless they are paying next to nothing to some kid in college who doesnt really have the money to operate ..

my personal opinion is that they are scrubbing the site of all the stupid bullshit that has caused the biggest rips in the membership. after it crashed... after which they decided "it crashed, so lets go ahead and upgrade now and clean it up of the stupid bullshit that ripped up the membership" .. :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
^ding ding! Lauri nailed it :-)

Board purges are fine and sometimes needed. But this was probably piss-poor planning and now it is the time to take advantage of cleaning the monkey crap off of the CU carpet.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
my personal opinion is that they are scrubbing the site of all the stupid bullshit that has caused the biggest rips in the membership. after it crashed... after which they decided "it crashed, so lets go ahead and upgrade now and clean it up of the stupid bullshit that ripped up the membership" .. :-)

To what end?  I don't see why it would matter.  As long as they continue to allow the pseudo-conservatives and left-leaning moderates post there, they'll just replace their old worthless opinions with new worthless opinions.  Anything short of banning them won't ever work.

At this point, I just don't see going back or the site doing much.  After 4 years reading different conservative sites (only participating on one), there's only so many posters out there to go around these smaller conservative sites.  Face it, we all pretty much know each other.  And the bulk of the real conservatives left there are now here.   I couldn't have been the only poster here who warned Rob and others that they needed to get a handle on the situtation before people started seeking alternatives.  And that was before the Ronbot invasion during which I was busy working and missed it.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:05:20 AM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jtyangel

To what end?  I don't see why it would matter.  As long as they continue to allow the pseudo-conservatives and left-leaning moderates post there, they'll just replace their old worthless opinions with new worthless opinions.  Anything short of banning them won't ever work.

At this point, I just don't see going back or the site doing much.  After 4 years reading different conservative sites (only participating on one), there's only so many posters out there to go around these smaller conservative sites.  Face it, we all pretty much know each other.  And the bulk of the real conservatives left there and are here.   I couldn't have been the only poster here who warned Rob and others that they needed to get a handle on the situtation before people started seeking alternatives.  And that was before the Ronbot invasion during which I was busy working and missed it.

But I thought gator was going to have doubled the membership by now?  :o :-)

Offline Lauri

At this point, I just don't see going back or the site doing much.  After 4 years reading different conservative sites (only participating on one), there's only so many posters out there to go around these smaller conservative sites.  Face it, we all pretty much know each other.  And the bulk of the real conservatives left there are now here.   I couldn't have been the only poster here who warned Rob and others that they needed to get a handle on the situtation before people started seeking alternatives.  And that was before the Ronbot invasion during which I was busy working and missed it.

well, in an election season its easy to pick up lots of new members.. so CU could ostensibly revive itself. gator seems to have been sidelined by somebody, so the newbies don't/won't really know what he's about. gator was probably the most offensive member they had and they can right the ship and even grow if he stays muzzled.

i didnt really pay attention to the ronbots, but i would imagine they dont have much to say about their candidate anymore .. every site evolves, its just the nature of the internet.

Online Happy Fun Ball

It looks like CU is back.

Well, sort of. Right now, there are no posts whatsoever and only one member.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
It looks like CU is back.

Well, sort of. Right now, there are no posts whatsoever and only one member.

Still down on my end and only one member means that people, pretty much, have to start over.

Online Happy Fun Ball

Yeah, it's down again.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
^ding ding! Lauri nailed it :-)

Board purges are fine and sometimes needed. But this was probably piss-poor planning and now it is the time to take advantage of cleaning the monkey crap off of the CU carpet.

Either that or cleaning out the last vestiges of the folks that got banned.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

DU seems to be unreachable at this time.  Maybe they were hacked.

Offline Lauri

that's the ticket! Rob has been spending his time *hacking* into DU to crash it .. and so, he hasnt had any extra time to get CU back up.

:fuelfire:

Offline Rebel

• Administrator

that's the ticket! Rob has been spending his time *hacking* into DU to crash it .. and so, he hasnt had any extra time to get CU back up.

:fuelfire:

Maybe they're both owned by the same company.  :fuelfire: