Author Topic: Richard Nixon's speech writer makes a stupid movie...  (Read 24307 times)

Offline djones520

Re: Richard Nixon's speech writer makes a stupid movie...
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
I read some of the rest of it, and it seems there's some mis-representation at work....

Quote from: floppingaces
The new film, ” EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed” does not presume to bury the theory of evolution… but it declines to praise it, either.

To me it seems the film isn't to advocate a replacement for the Theory of Evolution, but to at least discuss something else.

Why is the idea of "Something else" pushed away so violently?

*Red*

That aspect of the film is fine.  It's the part where he starts pushing that Darwinism is the basis of everything that is wrong in this world that things go down hill.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
I read some of the rest of it, and it seems there's some mis-representation at work....

The new film, ” EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed” does not presume to bury the theory of evolution… but it declines to praise it, either.

To me it seems the film isn't to advocate a replacement for the Theory of Evolution, but to at least discuss something else.

*Red*

That aspect of the film is fine.  It's the part where he starts pushing that Darwinism is the basis of everything that is wrong in this world that things go down hill.

So, we might have a overstatement.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. If he can make a case that other theories deserve to be looked at, I'll consider this film worth it.

*Red*

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »
Big Science in this area has lost its way,” says Stein, who "is also a lawyer, economist, author and social commentator. “Scientists are supposed to be allowed to follow the evidence wherever it may lead, no matter what the implications are. Freedom of inquiry has been greatly compromised, and this is not only anti-science, it’s anti-American.”

There is not a scintilla of evidence that scientifically leads to an Intelligent Designer (much less God).  Many scientists do in fact believe in God (as do I), but we generally believe that God established the whole shebang.  To see the wonders of the Universe and NOT believe in God is actually pretty amazing. 

But God gave us an ordered Universe which follows Rules which he doesn't need to cheat on.  To suggest that He needs to manually tweak things (much less toss it all aside on a whim) is to diminish Him greatly.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:55 PM »

*Red*

That aspect of the film is fine.  It's the part where he starts pushing that Darwinism is the basis of everything that is wrong in this world that things go down hill.

So, we might have a overstatement.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. If he can make a case that other theories deserve to be looked at, I'll consider this film worth it.

*Red*

There are no other theories.  Creationism/ID is not a scientific theory.  It is a belief.  And belongs in the domain of belief.

Evolution is one of the best understood scientific theories in all of science.  It is understood better than the (competing) theories of gravity, astronomy, light and others.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 09:34:07 PM »
But he kind of has a point about the whole "freedom of inquiry" thing and the dogma that is pervasive in the scientific community. Yes, plenty of scientists subscribe to the notion of a Creator but let's face it, it's not the most common theme throughout science. Especially with the whole ID debate.

Personally, I don't understand why there is such a fuss. I probably have always believed in a form of ID without knowing it was called "ID". I don't doubt science. But I also don't think science requires you to exclude God from the equation. I really dislike the either/or aspect. I guess that's why I shy away from entering into this particular debate subject. No matter what science explains, it doesn't chip away at my beliefs one bit. The experts can tell me how something was made but that doesn't mean I can't believe God wasn't the catalyst. And you can call it a "belief" or "theory" or whatever makes you feel comfortable. Science can explain, but only God can manifest.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 09:37:11 PM »

There is none.  It is not possible to frame the controversy in any way that is not false.  There is no "debate" about Creationism or ID, since neither is science and cannot ever be science.  This is about allowing religion (and a particular BRAND of religion) to be taught as science. And that is unconscionable.

Ummm...you'd probably find a more friendly place to spout your crap here: www.darwincentral.org

Oh wait...nevermind.

You already laugh it up over there at those that believe in creationism as willing dupes and refer to us as Crevo's.

We should just accept Darwin's "theory" as fact and STFU right?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »

There is none.  It is not possible to frame the controversy in any way that is not false.  There is no "debate" about Creationism or ID, since neither is science and cannot ever be science.  This is about allowing religion (and a particular BRAND of religion) to be taught as science. And that is unconscionable.

Ummm...you'd probably find a more friendly place to spout your crap here: www.darwincentral.org

Oh wait...nevermind.

You already laugh it up over there at those that believe in creationism as willing dupes and refer to us as Crevo's.

We should just accept Darwin's "theory" as fact and STFU right?

No, accept it as a scientific theory. 

Keep faith where it belongs -- in philosophy and related areas of study.  Faith is an important part of science -- in the Humanities.  It is not, nor can it ever be, part of the Life Sciences. 

Creationism is pure fantasy and has zero basis in science. You can believe whatever you want, up to and including the Flying Spaghetti Monster.  That belief system has no place to be plugged into science.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
But he kind of has a point about the whole "freedom of inquiry" thing and the dogma that is pervasive in the scientific community. Yes, plenty of scientists subscribe to the notion of a Creator but let's face it, it's not the most common theme throughout science. Especially with the whole ID debate.

Personally, I don't understand why there is such a fuss. I probably have always believed in a form of ID without knowing it was called "ID". I don't doubt science. But I also don't think science requires you to exclude God from the equation. I really dislike the either/or aspect. I guess that's why I shy away from entering into this particular debate subject. No matter what science explains, it doesn't chip away at my beliefs one bit. The experts can tell me how something was made but that doesn't mean I can't believe God wasn't the catalyst. And you can call it a "belief" or "theory" or whatever makes you feel comfortable. Science can explain, but only God can manifest.

There is no place to put God INTO the equation is the problem.  As science compiles evidence and data, it uses a very specific methodology to determine what it tells us, how it fits into the pattern of known evidence, how it can be useful (almost all of pharmacology is a direct result of TToE), etc.  There is no place in science to say "oh! We can't explain this! Goddidit!"  That wouldn't even make sense.  It is not useful, it doesn't further knowledge, it can't be applied, it can't be falsified, etc.  IT ISN'T SCIENCE.

There is a HUGE difference between a Scientific Theory and Faith.  The former is a very rigorous method used to explain a large body of interrelated data.  The latter is something that needs no basis in any fact. 

Your point about God isn't lost.  And most scientists do believe in God.  But it is as I said, as an external agent who is much more interested in our souls and how we live our lives than the Universe He started so long ago.   

Offline djones520

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »

There is no place to put God INTO the equation is the problem.  As science compiles evidence and data, it uses a very specific methodology to determine what it tells us, how it fits into the pattern of known evidence, how it can be useful (almost all of pharmacology is a direct result of TToE), etc.  There is no place in science to say "oh! We can't explain this! Goddidit!"  That wouldn't even make sense.  It is not useful, it doesn't further knowledge, it can't be applied, it can't be falsified, etc.  IT ISN'T SCIENCE.

There is a HUGE difference between a Scientific Theory and Faith.  The former is a very rigorous method used to explain a large body of interrelated data.  The latter is something that needs no basis in any fact. 

Your point about God isn't lost.  And most scientists do believe in God.  But it is as I said, as an external agent who is much more interested in our souls and how we live our lives than the Universe He started so long ago.   

First time I've given a H5 for a post.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:55 PM »

No, accept it as a scientific theory. 

Theory yes.  Science never.

Keep faith where it belongs -- in philosophy and related areas of study.  Faith is an important part of science -- in the Humanities.  It is not, nor can it ever be, part of the Life Sciences.

The great scientists in history would probably disagree with your little "theory" of where exactly religion belongs.

Down through history it has played a large part in science.

Creationism is pure fantasy and has zero basis in science.

Your opinion.

That belief system has no place to be plugged into science.

Again your very short sighted opinion.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »

Look at your kids and then explain to me how God and religion should be left out of the equation.

Explain to me exactly how homosexuality fits into the whole equation of evolution?

Offline djones520

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 10:00:44 PM »

Look at your kids and then explain to me how God and religion should be left out of the equation.

Explain to me exactly how homosexuality fits into the whole equation of evolution?

Thats not the point that is even being argued right now Sarge.  The point is that Creationism/Intelligent Design is not science.  It is a belief.  Whereas the study of evolution is science.  I can't explain it any better then Freedumb did.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 10:05:18 PM »
But does science have an answer for everything FD? I honestly don't know the answer to that. And, I have never heard anyone who believes in God as Creator say, "oh, it's a mystery! Must have been God!" To me, that implies that all Christians shun science for faith. I'm sure there are Christians who do shun science and take the bible literally. I know some Christians (not personally) who think the Earth is only several thousand years old. And those that do not choose to examine scientific theory and would rather believe the Word are free to do so. I'll fight for their rights all day long.

To me, this is part of a larger debate. The one concerning freedom of religion and state funded education. Put ID in whatever class you want to. Philosophy, Humanties, Religion, etc...pick one. Acknowledge the different ideas and let people choose for themselves.You can even add a section on every major religion and what they believe in terms of creation (in fact, that's the only way to do it IMO).

This whole notion of frothing at the mouth over things as simple as mentioning "there are people who believe in something called ID...." is preposterous to me. Both sides have their zealots and neither is willing to concede any ground.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »

The point is that Creationism/Intelligent Design is not science.

Who decided that?  The Godless evolutionists?

Who determines what is science and what isn't?  Religion has played a hand in science down through out the ages...who decied it should be removed and why?

It is a belief.

So is Evolution.

Whereas the study of evolution is science.

It's an unproven theory.

I can't explain it any better then Freedumb did.

Amazing...you'll laugh at the people who buy hook line and sinker into the "science" of Man Made Global warming.

Yet you sound just like them where evolution is concerned.  Another unproven "theory"

How do you square the two different views?
[/quote]

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 10:17:51 PM »

Let me know when they find proof of the missing link.  You know that "creature" that bridges the gap between ape and human.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline djones520

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:22 PM »

Who determines what is science and what isn't?  Religion has played a hand in science down through out the ages...who decied it should be removed and why?

sci·ence   /ˈsaɪəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahy-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws

Where is the evidence of facts or truth?  Where are the fossil records?  Where is the evidence?  Where are the laws?  Religion has been a tool to explain what science at the time couldn't.  Meteorology and other physical sciences now gives sound reasoning for the whole belief of most of the Greek Pantheon.

So is Evolution.

Evolution is a science founded on gathered knowledge and evidence.  Everything is not yet know about it, so yes one could coin it a "belief".  But it does not take faith to know that evolution occurs.  Just the willingness to accept the evidence that is put forth to you.

It's an unproven theory.

How so?  5 million years of fossil records of progressive human evolution just didn't happen because the bible says otherwise?

Tell me how ID is a proven theory.  Show me your physical evidence of it.  Show me the theorems.  Show me the equations.

Amazing...you'll laugh at the people who buy hook line and sinker into the "science" of Man Made Global warming.

Yet you sound just like them where evolution is concerned.  Another unproven "theory"

I laugh at those who buy Global Warming hook line and sinker because they are the types who aren't looking into it themselves.  They don't truly understand the process, so they don't know it's impossible to really know the truth at this time.

I've studied meteorology.  

I've also extensively studied evolution.  I've seen the mountains of physical data that I can reach out and touch.  I've seen how things add up.  I've seen how theories are presented, accepted, disproven, through research, discussion, and reasoning.  Not taken simply on faith.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »

The point is that Creationism/Intelligent Design is not science.

Who decided that?  The Godless evolutionists?

Who determines what is science and what isn't?  Religion has played a hand in science down through out the ages...who decied it should be removed and why?

No, the scientists over the last hundreds of years established what is and isn't science.  Science has a core of how it goes about approaching data. The same approach is used for TToE as astronomy, chemistry, physics, geology, etc.

Religion established the desire for the search for Truth, no matter where that leads.  It is because of the Enlightenment that the Scientific Method (only accepted by every single scientist in the last 400 years) was established.  And there is no place for "and here a miracle occurred."

It is a belief.

So is Evolution.
No it isn't.  It is a scientific discipline that stands astride physics, chemistry, geology, etc.  And it is very much advanced from the Theory of Gravity and others.

It's an unproven theory.
[/quote]
As a friend, I really suggest you stop making a fool of yourself.  A Scientific Theory is not a sanctified guess. There is not a hierarchy that goes Guess>Hypothesis>Theory>Fact. A Scientific Theory is a collective strucure which explains a large body of interrelated data.  In this case, BILLIONS of data points.  BILLIONS.

Ignorance is NOT a Conservative value.  Willful Ignorance is especially not one.

I can't explain it any better then Freedumb did.
No you can't.

Yet you sound just like them where evolution is concerned.  Another unproven "theory"

Because so-called "climatology" is an infant science.  Rather than being driven by data and facts, it started with the conclusion and then tries to fit the data to fit that conclusion (which is NOT what TToE has done -- witness the number of changes over the years).  If in 30 years, it can take the same data and go from Global Cooling to Global Warming, then its very mechanisms must be reviewed with great skepticism. 

And AGW has multiple physical explanations and no fantastic ones. AGW may or may not be happening, if it is it may or may not be a result of human activity or (more likely) it is the planet doing what planets do (which, BTW requires it be billions of years old, not 6,000).

Again, what NON-fantastic alternate theories has anyone proposed to TToE?  Answer: None.

Offline djones520

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »

Let me know when they find proof of the missing link.  You know that "creature" that bridges the gap between ape and human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardipithecus

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »

I don't view wikipedia as a valid source, since just about anyone can do an edit there.

But your link to it did prompt me to google Ardipithecus.

I found a few site worthy of checking into a bit more...  But at a surface glance, I am not prepared to declare it the missing link.

But thanks for the heads up.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline djones520

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 10:36:32 PM »

I don't view as a valid source, since just aobut anyone can to an edit there.

But your link to it did prompt me to google Ardipithecus.

I found a few site worthy of checking into a bit more...  But at a surface glance, I am not prepared to declare it the missing link.

But thanks for the heads up.

If your looking for the actual missing link, your going to wait a long time buddy.  We may never find fossil remains of the actual species that made the jump from ape to hominid.  But Ardipithecus is the closest thing found so far.  While maintaining most of the charecteristics of apes, it shows sides of bipedalism, which is the biggest differentiator between apes and hominids.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »

sci·ence   /ˈsaɪəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[sahy-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws

Where is the evidence of facts or truth?  Where are the fossil records?  Where is the evidence?  Where are the laws?  Religion has been a tool to explain what science at the time couldn't.  Meteorology and other physical sciences now gives sound reasoning for the whole belief of most of the Greek Pantheon.

So is Evolution.

Evolution is a science founded on gathered knowledge and evidence.  Everything is not yet know about it, so yes one could coin it a "belief".  But it does not take faith to know that evolution occurs.  Just the willingness to accept the evidence that is put forth to you.

It's an unproven theory.

How so?  5 million years of fossil records of progressive human evolution just didn't happen because the bible says otherwise?

Tell me how ID is a proven theory.  Show me your physical evidence of it.  Show me the theorems.  Show me the equations.

I laugh at those who buy Global Warming hook line and sinker because they are the types who aren't looking into it themselves.  They don't truly understand the process, so they don't know it's impossible to really know the truth at this time.

I've studied meteorology.  

I've also extensively studied evolution.  I've seen the mountains of physical data that I can reach out and touch.  I've seen how things add up.  I've seen how theories are presented, accepted, disproven, through research, discussion, and reasoning.  Not taken simply on faith.

There is a reason why it is still called "The Theory of Evolution".

It has yet to be proven as an uncontestable fact.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »

There is a reason why it is still called "The Theory of Evolution".

It has yet to be proven as an uncontestable fact.

*sigh*

Please read my responses above.  A scientific theory is not the same as what lay people think is a theory.  A scientific theory will be a theory FOREVER.  It doesn't "grow up" into a "fact."

The Theory of Evolution is much better understood than The Theory of Gravity.  But that doesn't mean you will start floating off the planet.

And please don't tell me gravity is a fact.  The phenomenon of gravity is (only to some degree) observable.  That is only a tiny part of TTOG.

Oh, and if you don't think there is a factual basis for TToE, you shouldn't take any pharmaceuticals.  Almost every single drug on the market was a direct result of the knowledge and application of TToE.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
I have a way to settle this.  Everyone for and against (and those of us who have no idea yet, like me), go see the movie...then come back and discuss it. 

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 10:50:42 PM »

There are no other theories.  Creationism/ID is not a scientific theory.  It is a belief.  And belongs in the domain of belief.

Evolution is one of the best understood scientific theories in all of science.  It is understood better than the (competing) theories of gravity, astronomy, light and others.

The film, as far as I can tell isn't exclusively about Creationism or ID. From what I can tell, the film is about... let's look at other alternatives and see if there's any thing to them.

If there's a case for any alternative theories, I want to know.

People have said so much about previous theories that turned out not to be valid, why is it not appropriate to question this one? I want to see this movie b/c I want to know what else is out there.

*Red*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:52:35 PM by RedTail »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
I have a way to settle this.  Everyone for and against (and those of us who have no idea yet, like me), go see the movie...then come back and discuss it. 

I never saw F 9/11, nor shall I ever.  But I have been able to gather enough information to determine it is a fabric of lies. 

This is a r/w version of the same.  The trailer was enough to tell me that Stein is using the usual Straw Men to buttress his non-argument.  Unless someone can tell me that it concedes that Creationism (or its retarded cousin, ID) is not trying to elbow its way into the science table as an "alternate theory" then there is no point in seeing it.