Author Topic: primitives discuss cooking hamburger  (Read 9174 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: primitives discuss cooking hamburger
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »
My husband gets so mad at me because I like all beef well done, he's very particular with steaks and he thinks I totally ruin my steak by burning it.

You do.  BTW--the ex loved overburned steaks, to the point where she would ask the waiter to butterfly her steak to ensure every single bit of her $40 filet was carbonized.

And there have been studies to suggest that well-done beef can lead to higher rates of colon cancer and bowel obstruction.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Karin

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 07:29:30 AM »
You know, this is the most opinionated thread I've ever read at CC.  And, we haven't even gotten to the roll yet!  I use Anzio Bros. Hearty Sandwich Roll, with the cornmeal dusting.  Lightly buttered and grilled first. 

My little family business does a brisk trade in burgers.  We use 1/3 pound sirloin, salt & pepper.  Anything you want on it.  Kitchen sink, the works. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »
You know, this is the most opinionated thread I've ever read at CC.  And, we haven't even gotten to the roll yet!  I use Anzio Bros. Hearty Sandwich Roll, with the cornmeal dusting.  Lightly buttered and grilled first. 

My little family business does a brisk trade in burgers.  We use 1/3 pound sirloin, salt & pepper.  Anything you want on it.  Kitchen sink, the works. 

Ask the question if Chili is supposed to have beans or not and you will see families torn apart. :p

Btw...without beans you put it in a bun and call it a sloppy joe. :fuelfire:

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »
Ask the question if Chili is supposed to have beans or not and you will see families torn apart. :p

I was in Ohio once - ate "chili" in a restaurant and that "chili" had spaghetti noodles in it.
They told me that was the REAL chili.

WTF is up with that?
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »

Man.  Didn't we already go there.....once?  Why you gotta open old wounds???????  We moved on.  All was well. 

Oh heck.  I gotta get Thor to add those shrapnel-dodging smileys that THundley posted for me.

Here we go.

NO BEANS IN CHILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleventy!1111111
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
There seems a lot here who like their hamburger rare.

It's my impression--correct or incorrect--that while that used to be okay, it's not so okay any more.

It used to be that ground beef was made at local, or at least regional, butcheries, which limited contagion.

But now that most ground beef is made at large national packinghouses, the peril of contagion is greater.

And so I've always operated under the assumption that it used to be okay to dine on pink hamburger, but that's not such a good idea any more.

By coincidence Frank I am reading a novel titled TOXIN by Robin Cook.

I do not usually read such things but the local used book store had a sale of the Readers Digests editions with the 4 book series at .50 cents a piece.  I walked out with 10 of them for $5.00 a total of 40 storeys .  

Back to the subject, this story is about the meat packing industry  going from the farms that sell their sick and downed cows to the processing company's that occasionally have a problem with disease.    From there it goes to the big time Burger joints--Mickey D's etc and how a small mistake in the cooking can become a nightmare for the people that eat an under cooked hamburger.

It becomes gruesome as the details of how an under cooked hamburger can cause some horrific problems not just for  a patient but the doctors trying to figure out what is going on as some of the symptoms are in no way related to food poisoning.

Makes me wonder how any of us survive eating in a dimly lit bar a hamburger that may have been undercooked by a minimin wage kid that may take their break to smoke a joint.  

In the last couple of years there has been massive recalls on ground beef, most of the beef can be consumed safely if cooked to well done.   If cooked with any pink, it can and does cause death, or at the very least blindness, kidney or liver failure.

Sad that so much we love to eat is such a problem today.  My sad loss is the fact that raw eggs can cause very bad things to happen.    Remember when our parents or grandparents would bake a cake adding raw eggs and after putting the cake in the oven called for us to "LICK the bowl" ?  Cannot do that anymore.

Steak is another thing, medium rare please with french fries and gravy.

Offline Toaster

• I like guns.
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »

NO BEANS IN CHILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!eleventy!1111111

:cheersmate:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
I was in Ohio once - ate "chili" in a restaurant and that "chili" had spaghetti noodles in it.
They told me that was the REAL chili.

WTF is up with that?

Cincy "Five Ways" chili.  Actually pretty good.  Not what I'd consider "true" chili, but damn tasty neverthless.

Five Ways: Spaghetti, chili, beans, onions, cheese. 

Again, not Texas chili, but still good...

And yes, it goes great on hot dogs as well.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »
Still, I cut off all meat fat...I have that gag reflex.

I cut off all the fat too, there's no way I can eat it, but the steak becomes so much smaller when you cut the fat off.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
Cincy "Five Ways" chili.  Actually pretty good.  Not what I'd consider "true" chili, but damn tasty neverthless.

MMM...MMM...MMM...A little light on the cheese though.
Needs more cowbell too!  :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »

M grew up in Cincy, and dearly loves Skyline Chili. I like it, but prefer it on a hotdog rather than on spaghetti.

It's "Greek" chili, and among other things, it has cinnamon in it. It has a very unique taste. It's best not to think of it as  "chili" as just the word makes you expect one thing only for it not to be what is expected, causing people to be disappointed.

It's finely ground beef, with a bunch of seasonings. Five-way is spaghetti, chili, chopped onions, beans, and cheese. I'm not sure what type of beans, or what they do to them, cause I won't eat them. It definitely needs the onions added.

Kroger's (which is home-based in Cincy) carries it in their frozen food dept. It's in a box and enough for 2 dinner size portions on spaghetti, or 4, maybe 5 hotdogs.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »
I like burnt bacon too.

So do I. I hate limp bacon.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »
Then I suggest you go to The Hat.  In-N-Out isn't THE best, but for fast food drive through, it beats the chain burgers.  Farmer Boys is pretty good too.  Then of course you have the hit-or-miss mom-and-pop burger stands every other block.

And I'm still waiting for you to sing my praises for sending you down to Wingnuts in Costa Mesa (IIRC, they also have one in Aliso Viejo as well.)  Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wrap or Far East Nachos.  Trust me, it's worth a trip down for lunch one afternoon.

You'll thank me later.

We love The Hat.  The last time we ate there we got onion rings instead of fries. They were quite tasty.

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
So do I. I hate limp bacon.
Please, never say that to a man. We have egos ya know which at times can be very fragile.  :tongue: :-)

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
We love The Hat.  The last time we ate there we got onion rings instead of fries. They were quite tasty.

That's my girl...next time get the pastrami burger...lol.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
That's my girl...next time get the pastrami burger...lol.

My husband and son have both had that monstrosity. If I were a liberal I would totally make it illegal.

Offline soleil

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:11 AM »

What is this no beans in chili thing? Of course beans go in chili! Not hot dog chili, but real chili!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:03 AM »
What is this no beans in chili thing? Of course beans go in chili! Not hot dog chili, but real chili!

naw, baby, naw!!!!

chili without beans....good!

chili with beans..... :puke:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Karin

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
I have never understood the appeal of the Cincy Chili.  There are diehard fans out there, though.  Cinnamon in chili?  Blech.  My ex-MIL put cinnamon in everything (rice, etc.)  Cinnamon belongs with apples.  Period.  

Like Soleil, I put beans (pinto) in my eating chili, but not hotdog chili.  

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
My husband and son have both had that monstrosity. If I were a liberal I would totally make it illegal.

The food choices in LA are soooooooo good.  One of the very few things I miss about CA.

If you get a chance, try out FatBurger.  Mostly west LA, but they do pretty good for a chain as well.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »
MMM...MMM...MMM...A little light on the cheese though.
Needs more cowbell too!  :-)

Bacon . . . everything is better with bacon! :drool:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »
OMG!!!
Here we go again.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

My cat just walked up to me and asked to go next door and play with the neighbor's dog.  :-)

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2010, 11:04:59 AM »
I have never understood the appeal of the Cincy Chili.  There are diehard fans out there, though.  Cinnamon in chili?  Blech.  My ex-MIL put cinnamon in everything (rice, etc.)  Cinnamon belongs with apples.  Period.  

Like Soleil, I put beans (pinto) in my eating chili, but not hotdog chili.  
The chili I used to make had hand picked, sorted, and soaked beans in it. I also made it without beans and home ground sirloin. I came across a top-secret additive of some national chili cook-off winner.

(Peanut Butter - smooth natural peanut butter - about two tablespoons per big pot/crock pot is all)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
You do.  BTW--the ex loved overburned steaks, to the point where she would ask the waiter to butterfly her steak to ensure every single bit of her $40 filet was carbonized.

And there have been studies to suggest that well-done beef can lead to higher rates of colon cancer and bowel obstruction.

I can top that LOL, we went to an upscale restaurant in Canada, I'm pretty much meat/chicken potato person and the menu was way too upscale for me, hubby ordered a steak and I asked if it was possible for me to get a hamburger even though it wasn't on the menu, they made a darn nice filet mignon hamburger for me.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
Bacon . . . everything is better with bacon! :drool:

Oh yea!!!